La Vuelta de Espana 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair though they've not got any other option, as they can't really say that they're just riding for a podium place. And there's a chance he may have a poor 3rd week given both the TdF in his legs and the massive number of intense climbs.

Personally, I'd love it to not be a procession and for Froome to have a bad day or two, just to make the race interesting.

Fair point but some of their questions and twisting of responses make me laugh at times...fair enough suggest they are playing a long game but when they suggest Froome is worried/panicking seems ridiculous.
I'd like a close Vuelta and even someone unheralded to win, but I'm a realist.
Best chance of a non Froome win is a crash or a wave of the shits to sweep Sky...

Fair point but some of their questions and twisting of responses make me laugh at times...fair enough suggest they are playing a long game but when they suggest Froome is worried/panicking seems ridiculous.
I'd like a close Vuelta and even someone unheralded to win, but I'm a realist.
Best chance of a non Froome win is a crash or a wave of the shits to sweep Sky...
can`t see that though, the vuelta has an excellent safety record. It`s not like the commissaires bike or press bikes ever knock anyone over.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cannondale-drapac-uncertain-to-continue-in-2018

Cannondale are in the shit, riders free to look for new teams

Real shame and slightly odd. Cannondale, Drapac and Garmin are still committed and yet they're now financially unviable...? :?:

Cycling is such an odd sport in that it's entirely dependant upon sponsorship for the teams and it's the race organisers who coin it with selling TV rights. It's been talked about for a long time about a Premier League type breakaway where the teams form their own organisation but there's so much vested interest and politics involved, especially when you throw in the UCI/ASO standoff.

Real shame and slightly odd. Cannondale, Drapac and Garmin are still committed and yet they're now financially unviable...? :?:

Cycling is such an odd sport in that it's entirely dependant upon sponsorship for the teams and it's the race organisers who coin it with selling TV rights. It's been talked about for a long time about a Premier League type breakaway where the teams form their own organisation but there's so much vested interest and politics involved, especially when you throw in the UCI/ASO standoff.
Reading that article though, who "owns " the riders? Is it Cannondale drapac or slipstream sports who hold their contracts?

Hope not, i haven't come all the way to sunny Benidorm to stand at the side of the road in the pissing rain !
Haven't got a coat for a start

Wasn't looking too clever when I flew in this morning. Benidorm seems nice and sunny as they go through it, and plenty of blue sky here within sight of the finish. Will head out in about half an hour to find my spot.

...Froome, 15km from victory.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Wasn't looking too clever when I flew in this morning. Benidorm seems nice and sunny as they go through it, and plenty of blue sky here within sight of the finish. Will head out in about half an hour to find my spot.

...Froome, 15km from victory.
Yes it got abit cloudy around midday, but thankfully got all scorchio for the race. Ideal for wearing my freebie blue spotted t shirt.:)
Wandered back to the hotel and watched the finish on LA1 tv.
Only accident or incident to stop Froome now from the TdF/lV double.

Yes it got abit cloudy around midday, but thankfully got all scorchio for the race. Ideal for wearing my freebie blue spotted t shirt.:)
Wandered back to the hotel and watched the finish on LA1 tv.
Only accident or incident to stop Froome now from the TdF/lV double.
He's eeking out a lead but like you say a fall or a mechanical could still scupper him.

Cracking finish by him today to take the stage though, and those extra points won't hurt. See he's also got the green jersey and the combined.

He's eeking out a lead but like you say a fall or a mechanical could still scupper him.

Cracking finish by him today to take the stage though, and those extra points won't hurt. See he's also got the green jersey and the combined.

Third in the blue spotty jersey as well as it stands, albeit the major climbs are to come.

Away from that, looks like it went a bit wrong for Simon Yates today. Over 10 mins down.

Might be a daft question but the combined must be fairly biased toward GC riders/ the GC winner, given the way it's calculated.

Mind there is also the thought that he's trying to put a couple of minutes 'in the bank' early on and showing the others how strong he is, so that by week 3, no one will risk their podiums by attacking..
Hope not, but winning 2 grand tours back to back doesnt happen very often...

Third in the blue spotty jersey as well as it stands, albeit the major climbs are to come.

Away from that, looks like it went a bit wrong for Simon Yates today. Over 10 mins down.

Might be a daft question but the combined must be fairly biased toward GC riders/ the GC winner, given the way it's calculated.

What happened to him? He was in the peloton when he came past us with 15km to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back