Keel Square:

Status
Not open for further replies.

When's work on that starting? It's taking a long time to make a start

The hotel or the centre for imagination?

Someone earlier had said the contractor had pulled out & they were going through motions of appointing someone else. There was a planning amendment submitted about 6 months back, which hopefully suggests its still happening.

The other thing is nothing more than a proposal at the minute which the government hasnt yet awarded, but think this could be one of the good things that come off the back of the culture bid.

The hotel or the centre for imagination?

Someone earlier had said the contractor had pulled out & they were going through motions of appointing someone else. There was a planning amendment submitted about 6 months back, which hopefully suggests its still happening.

The other thing is nothing more than a proposal at the minute which the government hasnt yet awarded, but think this could be one of the good things that come off the back of the culture bid.

Yes I meant the hotel....it will improve the look of High St and the square no end

The whingers and haters? Why on earth would anyone think this is bad? It’s terrific news. Nowt to do with the council but terrific.
And judging by the comments after your very post it seems the ‘supporters and lovers’ are now not happy with the building opposite!!! Claims of its an eyesore, get it demolished and also get the new hotel built!! Can’t keep yas happy!
We are on different sides but want the same outcome.
Some people just see the negative in everything though. Doesn't matter what happens it's always wrong.

Some people just see the negative in everything though. Doesn't matter what happens it's always wrong.
I know what ya mean mate like the vaux site even when the building started it wasn’t good enough it being a box. Well I’m for one happy the tax offices are going to be occupied.

Has someone pinched your login?
Nope I’ve never criticised the actual building on vaux, at least I don’t think so. And the tax office is a big building to fill.
But.... and it’s only a small but.
They are already based in the city centre and I wonder how many new jobs it’s bringing in?
And to me personally I think the time that it has took to fill proves the difficulty the council will have bringing ‘new’ companies into the city centre.
All I think will happen is the council will give the office space away to tice companies away from doxy etc.
But I’m sure they/and you lot will condone it as bringing money/footfall into the centre.

Nope I’ve never criticised the actual building on vaux, at least I don’t think so. And the tax office is a big building to fill.
They are already based in the city centre and I wonder how many new jobs it’s bringing in?
And to me personally I think the time that it has took to fill proves the difficulty the council will have bringing ‘new’ companies into the city centre.
All I think will happen is the council will give the office space away to tice companies away from doxy etc.
But I’m sure they/and you lot will condone it as bringing money/footfall into the centre.
Are you not happy with footfall increasing in the city centre even if it means moving jobs internally? Isn't this what we all want? A more vibrant centre.

About 200 new jobs I think, they currently employ @400 at their current HQ and expect it to rise up to @600 in the new Keel Sq HQ. I think @Reptilia mentioned this mate.

Are you not happy with footfall increasing in the city centre even if it means moving jobs internally? Isn't this what we all want? A more vibrant centre.
I have no bussiness in the city centre so it will make a absolutely no difference to me what so ever tbh. People these days have 30 mins lunch breaks and rarely leave thier offices. Not everyone obviously.
I have also said it’s about extra money being spent and attracting new bussiness. Not about moving it around the city.
It’s a good start though.

About 200 new jobs I think, they currently employ @400 at their current HQ and expect it to rise up to @600 in the new Keel Sq HQ. I think @Reptilia mentioned this mate.
No mate he never. It’s a positive deffo but they just moving from another part of town. I’m not being negative just stating what the lad said.

Last edited:
I have no bussiness in the city centre so it will make a absolutely no difference to me what so ever tbh. People these days have 30 mins lunch breaks and rarely leave thier offices. Not everyone obviously.
I have also said it’s about extra money being spent and attracting new bussiness. Not about moving it around the city.

No mate he never. It’s a positive deffo but they just moving from another part of town. I’m not being negative just stating what the lad said.
There definitely are new jobs, John Hays said himself that they are expanding the business.

Aye we’ve got just over 400 atm (I thought it was more to be honest.) We will be taking on our apprentices come August which will add about 50 to the total. We recruit constantly in HO though due to the company expanding so by this time next year when we take on next years apprentices we will be well over the 500 mark I’d imagine.

Aye we’ve got just over 400 atm (I thought it was more to be honest.) We will be taking on our apprentices come August which will add about 50 to the total. We recruit constantly in HO though due to the company expanding so by this time next year when we take on next years apprentices we will be well over the 500 mark I’d imagine.
Nice one mate. Another 100 to the total that’s spot on. Like you say hopefully it will be just the thing to kickstart other similar companies doing the same. Thanks for clearing that up.

Great to see a Sunderland company thriving.

Might not have a massive impact on dinnertime business but could be a real boost for after work business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back