Keane, Neville, & The Italian Dopers

No secret that Italian clubs used performance enhancing drugs

Also,that they were extremely professional

If by doping they mean living a healthy lifestyle and not having ten pints after a game then aye, they definitely were.
Edgar Davids, Jaap Stam and Fernando Couto all popped for doping violations in 2001, playing for Serie A teams. It’s not out the realms of possibility that Italian players were also doing something similar.

Edgar Davids, Jaap Stam and Fernando Couto all popped for doping violations in 2001, playing for Serie A teams. It’s not out the realms of possibility that Italian players were also doing something similar.

Juve and EPO use was definitely alleged - EPO is the #1 drug when it comes to endurance benefits and it has to be injected, it was banned in about 1990.

"In November 2004, club doctor Riccardo Agricola was given a 22-month prison sentence and fined €2,000 for sporting fraud by providing performance-enhancing drugs, specifically EPO, to players between 1994 and 1998,[6][7] Leading hematologist Giuseppe d'Onofrio said that it was "practically certain" that midfielders Antonio Conte and Alessio Tacchinardi had taken EPO to overcome brief bouts of anemia, and that it was "very probable" that seven other players – Alessandro Birindelli, Alessandro Del Piero, Didier Deschamps, Dimas, Paolo Montero, Gianluca Pessotto and Moreno Torricelli – had taken EPO in small doses.[8]"

Still think most of Leicesters plodders were on something that title winning side had 3 quality players and loads of 💩 in it

Stam, Guardiola, Davids to name a few had doping bans in the early 2000s whilst playing in Italy. They were stupid enough to be caught, there will have been hundreds that got away with it.

There was one match I clearly remember, think it was AC Milan, and the entire Milan team were much older than the Man U team yet they were running around all match and looked like they had far more energy.

No doubt in my mind they are right on this.
In my view they just embraced professionalism before we did in England. They had dieticians and multiple fitness coaches whilst the players over here were still getting sloshed on a Tuesday night with a kebab. Things changed over here with the influx of foreign coaches and fitness levels increased significantly.

In my view they just embraced professionalism before we did in England. They had dieticians and multiple fitness coaches whilst the players over here were still getting sloshed on a Tuesday night with a kebab. Things changed over here with the influx of foreign coaches and fitness levels increased significantly.

They were more professional in the ways you outline but that doesn't mean doping wasn't happening. Some of the the biggest name players in Serie A got drug bans and you have doctors in court accusing half the Juve first team of being on EPO which is next level again when it comes to endurance capabilities.

Last edited:
Stam, Guardiola, Davids to name a few had doping bans in the early 2000s whilst playing in Italy. They were stupid enough to be caught, there will have been hundreds that got away with it.
Be hundreds of top level sportsmen and women who have been banned but just claim injury and nothing comes out about it.

Always amazed me how a top tennis player got an injury at the same time as cyclists from his nation were all looking very worried and some even got popped.

No way that cycling is the only sport with major drug problems when winning the tour is worth £500k max and that's if you win stages and other jerseys, basically a week's pay for the elite footballers.

Just want to throw in Kolo Toure taking his wife's diet pills.
Maybe he had weight problems that City weren't interested in.
Or maybe he was using them as a diuretic to quickly flush unwanted traces of other materials from his system as he was due to be tested..
🤔

🤣 nah, these were old players running like they were on fire, there was no Man U drinking culture at that time you might be thinking of earlier years

Be hundreds of top level sportsmen and women who have been banned but just claim injury and nothing comes out about it.

Always amazed me how a top tennis player got an injury at the same time as cyclists from his nation were all looking very worried and some even got popped.

No way that cycling is the only sport with major drug problems when winning the tour is worth £500k max and that's if you win stages and other jerseys, basically a week's pay for the elite footballers.
You mean Nadal?

Back