Just Stop Oil

Nuclear power seems a sensible alternative until something goes wrong.

Could say the same for all fossil fuel things really. At least with nuclear the risk is pretty minimal these days, whereas burning coal and gas, we know that's bad for the planet.
We should have carried on where we started with nuclear, but instead we fell behind.

Could say the same for all fossil fuel things really. At least with nuclear the risk is pretty minimal these days, whereas burning coal and gas, we know that's bad for the planet.
We should have carried on where we started with nuclear, but instead we fell behind.
Fukushima was only in 2011, still don't know how bad the long term effects are going to be from that. Also look at Ukraine currently with the possibility of a nuclear disaster there.

Fukushima was only in 2011, still don't know how bad the long term effects are going to be from that. Also look at Ukraine currently with the possibility of a nuclear disaster there.

That's Putin's doing unfortunately.
I'd still say we could do with more, or loads more renewable ones too. We could have tidal generators too

That's Putin's doing unfortunately.
I'd still say we could do with more, or loads more renewable ones too. We could have tidal generators too
Yeah but the world can be an unpredictable place, wars, earthquakes, tsunamis etc do happen. When something goes wrong with nuclear it can be catastrophic.

Yeah but the world can be an unpredictable place, wars, earthquakes, tsunamis etc do happen. When something goes wrong with nuclear it can be catastrophic.

Agreed, but it's arguably worth the risk.
Obviously if we can have more renewable instead, then I'd say go for that.

Onshore and offshore windfarms, tidal generators, all sorts. It just needs the investment.

ust Stop Oil activists were surrounded by a group of counter-protesters on in London on Thursday morning (20 July).

The rebel demonstrators formed a human chain around members of Just Stop Oil, who were sitting on the floor.

They were wearing T-shirts that read “Just Stop Pissing Everyone Off”.

:lol:
I reckon the outer circle will get bored of being there a lot quicker than the group on the ground.
Superb. Not all heroes wear capes.

That looks like 1 person doing something silly.

I don't think it's fair to use a story of 1 person to describe the whole story of a collective of people
if you're putting yourself forward to be a bastion of righteousness regarding climate change then you've got to be squeaky clean and whiter than white otherwise you're nothing more than a hypocrite.

if you're putting yourself forward to be a bastion of righteousness regarding climate change then you've got to be squeaky clean and whiter than white otherwise you're nothing more than a hypocrite.
Individualy yes. But you can't take one person's actions and tar an entire group because of it. Just look mental to do that.

Individualy yes. But you can't take one person's actions and tar an entire group because of it. Just look mental to do that.
i agree but they're putting themselves forward as a spokesperson and speaking for the whole organisation. same as the other high profile disruptions. if no-one from their group condemns their actions then by default they're all supportive. i'll wager most have skeletons in their closet.

Agreed, but it's arguably worth the risk.
Obviously if we can have more renewable instead, then I'd say go for that.

Onshore and offshore windfarms, tidal generators, all sorts. It just needs the investment.
I agree but what is the carbon footprint of manufacture, transportation and installation on the scale required globally and how many years does that take to be offset?

Do we have that amount of time before the situation become critical if it is not already?

Have we left it too late for effective solutions?

It is a balance between the carbon effect of implementing new systems, the amount of time for that to be offset and the state of the planet.
of course not but has anyone from the group spoke out about her hypocrisy?
Although air travel decreased due to covid, since that pre-covid peak of around 39 million flights it was predicted to rise to around 32 million flights this year.

A climate emergency will affect everyone's life on this planet whereas one person's hypocrisy is but a drop in the ocean and should not be used to cloud the issue.

Last edited:

Back