Just signed up for solar panels.. going green..

Just had a look and there are buttons to press. I'd better read up on it first, don't want to start deleting stuff by mistake.
My meter cycles through the import then export reading automatically also give a cost which is a load of bollocks. Not sure all smart meters are the same mind.

just had a look on the software as well. total yield is showing at 297.30. is it coincidence that pv meter reading is 296.30
monthly yield at 288.50. now on 28+ 2, so could match.
It may not help but checked with solar panel fitters.
output power- energy produced by panels and energy discharged from battery
feed in power - export to grid
load power - household use
grid consumption - energy drawn from the grid

Last edited:
need some advice. Got my panels transferred over to me and the good energy fit tariff sorted. I have a antenna in the loft

Solaredge ECI-IF-ANT5G WiFi Antenna. How do I get this to send me the daily performance?​

Do I need an account with the solar edge app?

I’ve downloaded the app but can’t see any option to register with them?

As I have the antenna can I use any monitoring service?
The installer normally sets up the monitoring, you have to have a solaredge account and give the installer your email address and they add you to the project. You can then see the system on the app or via the browser.

It's the anniversary of my install today, it's just ticked over 7,150kWh which is grand considering it's been a pretty wet since last July
The installers estimate was 6868 and my own calc was 7350kWh so only a few sunny days in July off that.
Covered all the house needs and a major contribution to the car charging.
The Octopus direct debit is £5/month :cool:

In the middle of a thunderstorm here and I suddenly thought what happens if me panels get hit? Having them on the roof does that make it more or less likely my house will get hit.

In the middle of a thunderstorm here and I suddenly thought what happens if me panels get hit? Having them on the roof does that make it more or less likely my house will get hit.
Its unlikely that they will be the highest point, do you have a chimney possibly with an aerial attached, more likely to strike that.

Its unlikely that they will be the highest point, do you have a chimney possibly with an aerial attached, more likely to strike that.
Aerial is the highest point, then a stainless steel chimney from my woodburner so I should be good.
I wonder how much I'll get for exporting the 10 Gigawatts that lightning produces? 🤔

Lightning doesn’t strike the highest point, it takes the path of least resistance.
You are correct, very similar to the flow of water. However if you have a big steel pole or copper strap / cable up there it's likely to be the path of least resistance, but not in every case. Sometimes in just trying to keep things simple you can fall to get the full facts across, I shall try harder in future :) 👍

Just had my first bill since I got the solar panels fitted, 19th March to 18th April.
Electricity £28.90p
Gas £17.37p
Usually they come in at £100 each every month. £150 a month saving will do just fine, £1,800 per year sounds even better.
The standing charges for the gas and electricity are actually higher than the amount of gas and electricity I've used. One thing about the gas though, my combi boiler did go on the blink so I had no hot water for 2 weeks, the heating worked okay and I still had the electric shower but I'm expecting my gas bill be be higher next time.

Just had my first bill since I got the solar panels fitted, 19th March to 18th April.
Electricity £28.90p
Gas £17.37p
Usually they come in at £100 each every month. £150 a month saving will do just fine, £1,800 per year sounds even better.
The standing charges for the gas and electricity are actually higher than the amount of gas and electricity I've used. One thing about the gas though, my combi boiler did go on the blink so I had no hot water for 2 weeks, the heating worked okay and I still had the electric shower but I'm expecting my gas bill be be higher next time.
A youtuber will be along soon to tell us they cause roofs to cave in.

Back