Just paid off our mortgage

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s my issue, people of means who think they’re overtaxed.

The median earner pays about £2.5k in tax a year, whilst the median full-time earners pays about £3,300.

I pay more tax than both but I don’t resent it. I don’t think I pay too much, and those who do are typically selfish people with grandiose views about how hard they’ve worked compared to other people and how they’ve earned their money and don’t want it taken away.

What a load of tosh!

Same here mate. I’m 37. And have worked my bollocks off.

I’ve never complained about how much tax I have to pay, but disagree that there should be a zero rate and a high rate for high earners. I’d like to find something fairer.

I’m not wealthy. And I may be massively out of touch, but I don’t see £35k as a large salary...even though it will be more than some earn.

Not that it’s anything to do with you, but.... no shares at all, property runs at break even. And our combined salaries would be less than £100k. Much less.

£35k puts you approximately at a higher salary than 70% of taxpayers and remember, you didn’t explicitly state your salary. You said it is between £35k and £49k.
What a load of tosh!

You’re the worst offender man. You think you’re something special because you “worked your bollocks off” so do plenty of people on the NMW but their reward under your mental, selfish tax plans is to pay double the tax they already do whilst you get a tax cut.

You’re nothing special for working hard. Too many people think because they worked hard they’re some kind of saint and deserve ludicrous wealth and assets.

Last edited:

I’ve never complained about how much tax I have to pay, but disagree that there should be a zero rate and a high rate for high earners. I’d like to find something fairer.

I’m not wealthy. And I may be massively out of touch, but I don’t see £35k as a large salary...even though it will be more than some earn.

Not that it’s anything to do with you, but.... no shares at all, property runs at break even. And our combined salaries would be less than £100k. Much less.
That's where I differ from you. Id live like a king if I got paid anywhere near that.

You’re the worst offender man. You think you’re something special because you “worked your bollocks off” so do plenty of people on the NMW but their reward under your mental, selfish tax plans is to pay double the tax they already do whilst you get a tax cut.

You’re nothing special for working hard. Too many people think because they worked hard they’re some kind of saint and deserve ludicrous wealth and assets.

You’re very wrong about me mind.

I’d love to know what you class as ludicrous wealth.
That's where I differ from you. Id live like a king if I got paid anywhere near that.

You can’t live like a king on £35k

Your only 37 and you have accumulated that kind of wealth.
You sir are either a con man,liar or a capitalistic pig...

Oh I see, we’re playing the semantics game.

How am I wrong? You’ve mentioned several times how hard you’ve worked as if that’s justification for your wealth.

Well generally wealth is the outcome of working hard.

Wealth is also relative.

Yes but we started off with a £21,500 one then £30k and lastly £50k eight years ago so can't complain
You remortgaged or bought three houses and spent the money you sold them for ? :D
Me and the girlfriend are both free of mortgages. I paid off mine 10 years ago and she got rid of her's about 3 years ago after I convinced her to overpay on her mortgage. When we got together she was paying about 4% interest on her mortgage and paying the minimum back to the bank - she also had a very expensive shoe habit. Luckily she is on a good whack and managed to clear her mortgage - which had about 15 years to run - in about 6 years - whilst living in my house rent free and letting out her own house. She still rents it out for £800pm, so we use that money for holidays...

By contrast, my next door neighbour and his wife have been paying their mortgage for about 25 years - I doubt he has changed (or looked) at the rate he pays and will probably have paid for his house twice or three times over by the time he finishes paying it off...
It's that balance though
Mortgages are a bargain for the value you borrow and allows security and you enjoy life with what's left . Clearly you don't want cars and stuff worth more than your house but I wouldn't want to stop in to allow bigger payments at the prime of your life

Last edited:
Mortgages are a bargain for the value you borrow and allows security and you enjoy life with what's left . Clearly you don't want cars and stuff worth more than your house but I wouldn't want to stop in to allow bigger payments at the prime of your life

Tremedous value.

Property is my pension. I hope Frijj moves into them one day, so he can fund my champagne lifestyle.

I'll collect the rent in a top hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back