June 21st

I have a feeling that those wanting a 2 week delay (4 week delay) in 4 weeks will be saying exactly the same "it's just a couple of more weeks" "let's get more vaccinated to be safe" .. so when the 4 weeks runs out on 19th July it will be schools open again in 6 weeks we need to get the cases down

did the 12 die of Covid or were they 12 people who died for any reason within 28 days of a positive test ?
Any names?

Theres wanting a delay & theres understanding the logic behind it.

I want to open up asap, but I'm ok with holding off 2 or 4 weeks if the vaccinations are falling short a tad.

After 19th of july, then the over 45's will be double jabbed, and pretty much everyone else will have had at least 1 jab. At that point theres little reason to have any restrictions.
I'd agree but then it will be we need the over 35s double jabbed and the risk to those over 85 of the vaccine wearing off

Obviously hospitalisations/deaths are the main focus. But with long COVID an issue for those who aren’t as dramatically affected it would seem a bit silly to open up further just now when things are picking up again.
If we are going to use long covid as a parameter, there's no point in ever opening up. Long covid alongside "normal" covid is going to run for as long as it takes, be that 5. 10 or 20 years.
Any names?
Few on here

personally, i dont think easing restrictions further on 21st june could be described as 'rash'. 6 months of restrictions, tens of millions of vaccines doled out, pressure on the nhs low and steady.... there is nothing to suggest it would be a bad idea, at the moment. my worry is that we delay, 'just in case', and then that excuse is gift wrapped to be doled out every time it gets mentioned.

the plan was, when it was set out in Feb/March, for the numbers to be low and steady by June, for the vaccination programme to have gone exactly as planned, for the NHS to be under no pressure, and for everyone to accept the rise in cases that would inevitably come, but on the condition that it wasnt translated into hospital numbers. and here we are, exactly where we were told we needed to be in exactly the situation that we are in. if June 21st is too early now, then it was always too early. what was the point in setting it as a target date, if it was literally impossible to be held to. cos the figures are better than anyone could have predicted.

depending on what metrics are used, there was a graph posted here via a tweet, maybe last week, that showed the best, worst and many inbetween scenarios as predicted back in march. we were doing better than even the best case scenario.

Rash maybe to harsh a word, air on the side of caution I'll use instead ;)

Any names?
If deaths are in single figures & hospital admissions are minimal (ones actually going in for covid) then it would be hard to justify
We know that but that will be irrelevant. After Monday nights announcement within 48hrs the media will be questioning the data and if the decision was justified. Then they will start building up more scare stories too put off the lifting of the restrictions at the next review. Communist Susan Michie will start popping up again warning of the Aztec variant and so it goes on.

The biggest issue with 21st is that if they lift all restrictions, but keep the need to isolate for those testing positive and those who have come into contact with people testing positive, is that basically we'll all be isolating pretty quickly and nothing will be open or working as it should.

It's going to be a real problem.

Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Back