June 21st

If everybody that has been offered vaccine has had one and the numbers for instance are what they are now yet still we haven't took the next step then fair enough people should be moaning. Weve come a long way in a relative short time, its just about not doing anything rash at the moment.

personally, i dont think easing restrictions further on 21st june could be described as 'rash'. 6 months of restrictions, tens of millions of vaccines doled out, pressure on the nhs low and steady.... there is nothing to suggest it would be a bad idea, at the moment. my worry is that we delay, 'just in case', and then that excuse is gift wrapped to be doled out every time it gets mentioned.

the plan was, when it was set out in Feb/March, for the numbers to be low and steady by June, for the vaccination programme to have gone exactly as planned, for the NHS to be under no pressure, and for everyone to accept the rise in cases that would inevitably come, but on the condition that it wasnt translated into hospital numbers. and here we are, exactly where we were told we needed to be in exactly the situation that we are in. if June 21st is too early now, then it was always too early. what was the point in setting it as a target date, if it was literally impossible to be held to. cos the figures are better than anyone could have predicted.
How far are we currently off the Sage best and worst case scenario predicted at the beginning of the roadmap? That should help determine whether 21 June goes ahead. If we’re somewhere in between they surely have no mandate to recommend extending it.

depending on what metrics are used, there was a graph posted here via a tweet, maybe last week, that showed the best, worst and many inbetween scenarios as predicted back in march. we were doing better than even the best case scenario.

Last edited:

I don't think it's a conspiracy - the scientists and NHS are dominating decisions which should be made in a far wider and balanced way

I'm going to the pub now anyway so fuck them :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Even the NHS have acknowledged that the vaccine has broken the link between cases and deaths but it's becoming increasingly clear that SAGE do not want these restrictions to be lifted until we get to a state of zero-COVID and to hell with the economic disaster that would bring.

personally, i dont think easing restrictions further on 21st june could be described as 'rash'. 6 months of restrictions, tens of millions of vaccines doled out, pressure on the nhs low and steady.... there is nothing to suggest it would be a bad idea, at the moment. my worry is that we delay, 'just in case', and then that excuse is gift wrapped to be doled out every time it gets mentioned.

the plan was, when it was set out in Feb/March, for the numbers to be low and steady by June, for the vaccination programme to have gone exactly as planned, for the NHS to be under no pressure, and for everyone to accept the rise in cases that would inevitably come, but on the condition that it wasnt translated into hospital numbers. and here we are, exactly where we were told we needed to be in exactly the situation that we are in. if June 21st is too early now, then it was always too early. what was the point in setting it as a target date, if it was literally impossible to be held to. cos the figures are better than anyone could have predicted.

depending on what metrics are used, there was a graph posted here via a tweet, maybe last week, that showed the best, worst and many inbetween scenarios as predicted back in march. we were doing better than even the best case scenario.

All the chart shaggers on here should pipe down in that case then.

I’ve had three emails from the bairns school throughout today as further children have tested positive. We’ve also had updates from her guides pack and netball club today as other children have tested positive.

It was never like this at any point before so the spread, at least from this perspective, seems to be getting much worse.

Obviously hospitalisations/deaths are the main focus. But with long COVID an issue for those who aren’t as dramatically affected it would seem a bit silly to open up further just now when things are picking up again.

Why not stick with that we’ve got for a bit longer rather than risk a full lockdown again in the rush to get back to normal?

I’ve had three emails from the bairns school throughout today as further children have tested positive. We’ve also had updates from her guides pack and netball club today as other children have tested positive.

It was never like this at any point before so the spread, at least from this perspective, seems to be getting much worse.

Obviously hospitalisations/deaths are the main focus. But with long COVID an issue for those who aren’t as dramatically affected it would seem a bit silly to open up further just now when things are picking up again.

Why not stick with that we’ve got for a bit longer rather than risk a full lockdown again in the rush to get back to normal?

How much longer? I think if there's a delay to be had, it should be no more than 2-3 weeks.

I don't think there should be a delay at all really, but if there had to be, no more than 3 weeks.

why not just stick with what we've got forever? just to be on the safe side

I’ve had three emails from the bairns school throughout today as further children have tested positive
My daughter is home isolating at the moment as someone at her school tested positive. This happened before half term, then she had a week off for half term, then went back in for 2 days and is now at home for another 10 days. She is loving it :lol:

surely the only statistics that matter are hospitalisations and deaths. they're just scaremongering with percentages now

of course confirmed cases are going to go up. what's the issue though if the NHS can handle the former which was supposed to be the point all along

do they want zero f***ing cases or something before we can open back up

surely the only statistics that matter are hospitalisations and deaths. they're just scaremongering with percentages now

of course confirmed cases are going to go up. what's the issue though if the NHS can handle the former which was supposed to be the point all along

do they want zero f***ing cases or something before we can open back up
That's exactly what large swathes of the scientific community seem to be wanting.

I have a feeling that those wanting a 2 week delay (4 week delay) in 4 weeks will be saying exactly the same "it's just a couple of more weeks" "let's get more vaccinated to be safe" .. so when the 4 weeks runs out on 19th July it will be schools open again in 6 weeks we need to get the cases down
did the 12 die of Covid or were they 12 people who died for any reason within 28 days of a positive test ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the NHS have acknowledged that the vaccine has broken the link between cases and deaths but it's becoming increasingly clear that SAGE do not want these restrictions to be lifted until we get to a state of zero-COVID and to hell with the economic disaster that would bring.
Said it before - we are allowing the scientists to dictate policy rather than just advise on it.

I have a feeling that those wanting a 2 week delay (4 week delay) in 4 weeks will be saying exactly the same "it's just a couple of more weeks" "let's get more vaccinated to be safe" .. so when the 4 weeks runs out on 19th July it will be schools open again in 6 weeks we need to get the cases down

did the 12 die of Covid or were they 12 people who died for any reason within 28 days of a positive test ?
AFAIK that is currently the only metric being used for deaths so yes just within 28 days.

Theres wanting a delay & theres understanding the logic behind it.

I want to open up asap, but I'm ok with holding off 2 or 4 weeks if the vaccinations are falling short a tad.

After 19th of july, then the over 45's will be double jabbed, and pretty much everyone else will have had at least 1 jab. At that point theres little reason to have any restrictions.

Theres wanting a delay & theres understanding the logic behind it.

I want to open up asap, but I'm ok with holding off 2 or 4 weeks if the vaccinations are falling short a tad.

After 19th of july, then the over 45's will be double jabbed, and pretty much everyone else will have had at least 1 jab. At that point theres little reason to have any restrictions.
apart from the new variant that's just popped up in mid-july

no idea but follow up tweets

And how old were they?

Back