Jumper on the town bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

I got over the Redheugh frequently and as harsh as it sounds it tends to be a Sunday and Monday when I see the police etc trying to talk somebody down.
And I wonder why that is.......... :rolleyes: you know exactly what the craic is in a lot of cases hence you used the term ‘harsh as it sounds’

Horrible to think that a young lass would get to this point. I have to say I think social media has a lot to do with this, it’s always been the have and have nots in society especially as teenagers but social media amplifies this. Hope she’s ok
Social media is actually promoting depression, anxiety, mental health issues to the point its actually becoming trendy especially for young women.

Last edited:
Maybe but depression, despair, desperation etc have been amplified with the consciously cruel cuts in help & support in services while people who clearly need those services are derided not only in social media but in MSM e.g. The Sun, The Express, Channel 4's Benefit Street.

For a British Government to draft in US companies to decide who is entitled to what and use tactics such as asking wheel bound people questions like 'when did you catch cerebral palsy?' and 'have you tried walking?' is abhorrent & inhumane and to the recipient the worst sort of humiliation imaginable.
Nail on the head, well said mate.

Where is the boat situated these days marra?
North dock

I’d be for locking her up so she can’t do it, other than that what are the options?
I agree in some cases but don’t know anything about this lass.
I do know and have been out to some self harmers who want to be institutionalised but arnt /cant be for whatever reason. I’m a fan of “care in the community “ but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be especially when it’s dark and at weekends.

Last edited:
Just seen the lass involved Facebook status and it's not the first time I've seen her name. Hope she can get better eventually.

Went past on the metro last night. First time I've ever (to my memory) seen something like that unfolding. Stuck with me all night. Was pretty confident that the emergency services would get her back to the correct side of the bridge but still give me the shivers thinking she's sat on a small ledge with an almighty drop below her. One slip and she might not have a choice whether to jump or not. I done the return journey this morning and had a proper look at the ledge she was sat on. Amazed more 'jumpers' don't end up in the water by accident. It's hardly a comfortable and spacious area to be resting for an extended period of time. :confused:

Group of lasses were getting on my metro heading towards the town at St Peters and decided to jump off to continue watching as if it was some sort of TV show. Pretty sad tbh.

Reactions: DJP
I don't really like asking this, hopefully I am wrong and it's crossed wires 😕 has anyone heard anything of a middle aged man taking his life from one of Sunderland's bridges, possibly the A19 bridge, on Wednesday night?

I don't really like asking this, hopefully I am wrong and it's crossed wires 😕 has anyone heard anything of a middle aged man taking his life from one of Sunderland's bridges, possibly the A19 bridge, on Wednesday night?

Hopefully not..haven’t seen anything on the Echo website.

We had a call out around 3:20 to Seaburn on Wednesday and that was our only call out of the day.
As of today we have had 19 shouts this month.
Busy busy busy man

at this moment we are at an incident at the Queen Alex Bridge
You and your mates are doing sterling work. We shouldn't forget that it takes it's toll on all those who go to assist. You have your own families and relationships which are as precious as anyone's and they can be put under a great strain by what you must do. I am certain that a lot on here are very thankful for your work.

We had a call out around 3:20 to Seaburn on Wednesday and that was our only call out of the day.
As of today we have had 19 shouts this month.
Busy busy busy man

at this moment we are at an incident at the Queen Alex Bridge
Some daft bunt crashged her motor while putting lippy on and now is blocking traffic one hopes?

It's selfish to disrupt people's lives.. If they want to die do it in private.. On a bridge is just attention seeking that and causing distress to many people going about their own business ...
She probably doesnt want to do it, what an awful response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back