July - Round 7 - "The Sun" Voting Part 2 and comments

Picture of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is, it's a three sided curved polygon.

You actually can get a circle effect sometimes as shown on the wiki page.

I'm not lying PB, why would I do that?
:lol: I wasn't accusing you of lying! I am only asking because I am interested in learning! :)

I did post a smile after my post to show that it was in good faith! The internet can lack tone (as in a questioner's tone.)

Last edited:

:lol: I wasn't accusing you of lying! I am only asking because I am interested in learning! :)

I did post a smile after my post to show that it was in good faith! The internet can lack tone (as in a questioner's tone.)

Well like I said, some lenses have the bpkeh effect specially manipulated in their design to produce a true circlurar effect but the more perfect the effect the more expensive the lens.

You see it in movies all the time in the background of night shots if there is a close up of something else such as two people sat outside at a table talking.

You'll notice it more now ;)

It's actually a lens aberation that can be manipulated by the photographer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments PB but not sure why it doesn't meet the theme.

There's more sun in my pic than a good few of the entries.

Now if clouds had been the topic.....
Errrr, probably because when I saw the photograph I appreciated it was a technically good photograph but it didn't bring to mind the sun, the flower was a little funereal (being purple) (for me).

I loved yours particularly MB though I gave both you and PB a vote, I just adore flowers, but I particularly loved your play on sunlight.

Also PB it gives an opportunity for technical effects such as bokeh to be explained and maybe others will conciously try to create that effect.

It's all a learning curve. Took me about 20 shots and a stiff neck to get it how I wanted.

Thanks for the comments PB but not sure why it doesn't meet the theme.

There's more sun in my pic than a good few of the entries.

Now if clouds had been the topic.....

fwiw I came very close to slinging you a vote - great interpretation imo.

yep, bokeh is a great effect and can be used to great effect also, some lenses are way better at producing it than others, my 50mm f1.8 prime lens is fantastic at it, some examples..

this is actually the stadium of light taken from across the other side of the river..

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

and shaped bokeh, which is really cool to try out..

For me Clyde was the run-away winner for that magical conjunction of sun and sea.

General comment on the month: there was a glut of beautiful sunrises/sunsets and it was difficult to choose between them. This is not to take anything away from the individual beauty of particular photographs, but it would have been nice to see some different interpretations of The Sun, which is also a newspaper ... or a popular pub name ... Obviously I too went for a sunset so insofar as I'm being critical of people not being imaginative, I include myself in that criticism. Keeps21 gets a vote for picking a different subject. Mercia would have got one as well for the same reason but sorry I messed up my voting :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
but it would have been nice to see some different interpretations of The Sun, which is also a newspaper ... or a popular pub name ... Keeps21 gets a vote for picking a different subject. Mercia would have got one as well for the same reason but sorry I messed up my voting :-(
I did actually think of the newspaper but I knew there would be loads of sunsets and I couldn't envisage taking a picture of the Current Bun better than a sunset picture. Never thought of taking a photo of a pub (There is a Rising Sun reasonably locally). I thought my sunlit washing line was a bit different? Ne'er mind. :p

Far too many similar shots this time around for my liking.

So to dish out my votes after watching tonights athletics final day:
Clyde's gets the gold medal for me easily.
China Mackem the silver.
Then trailing way behind its a "photo-finish" (;)) between Kubicki & JanieP for third and theres nowt to choose between them.
The rest seem to have pulled over with various injuries as their nowhere near the finishing line.

Lets have a bit of imagination next time folks.

Ive never heard of Bokeh and I dont know how to do it :oops:

It's a case of having bright highlights in the background for example street lights at night.

If you focus on the foreground image these lights will be out of focus and the bokeh effect will be recorded.

There's no actual camera settings to create them so it's a case of manipulating the image to create blur in the background.

This can be obtained by:

1) Using a telephoto as they have a shallow depth of field (area of good focus) so the backfround will be blurred.

2) Using a large aperture as f22 gives more depth of field than f2 and f2 is a larger aperture.

3) Close distance to the subject in focus as this means the background is more blurred.

But it doesn't need to be at night if you have bright highlights from say the sun in the background shining through a bush.

Trial and error is the answer but it is essentially a lens aberation or defect and different lenses will produce different effects of bokeh.

Last edited:
It's a case of having bright highlights in the background for example street lights at night.

If you focus on the foreground image these lights will be out of focus and the bokeh effect will be recorded.

There's no actual camera settings to create them so it's a case of manipulating the image to create blur in the background.

This can be obtained by:

1) Using a telephoto as they have a shallow depth of field (area of good focus) so the backfround will be blurred.

2) Using a large aperture as f22 gives more depth of field than f2 and f2 is a larger aperture.

3) Close distance to the subject in focus as this means the background is more blurred.

But it doesn't need to be at night if you have a bright highlight from say the sun in the background.

Trial and error is the answer.
Ta for the explanation, can you see the effect on a digital camera before you take the picture? I've done it on a film camera (just didn't know it was called bokeh, and the effect was unintentional rather than planned I think.

How did Clyde get the funny shaped (pacman) ones if it is the camera aperture thingy?

Ta for the explanation, can you see the effect on a digital camera before you take the picture? I've done it on a film camera (just didn't know it was called bokeh, and the effect was unintentional rather than planned I think.

How did Clyde get the funny shaped (pacman) ones if it is the camera aperture thingy?

I didn't see it very well at the time through the viewfinder due to the bright sun but kept taking a shot and looking at the recording until I got one I liked. Although I knew they would be there due to using a telephoto close to the subject which produces blur in the background easily.

Not sure how clyde got that shape and was wondering the same thing.

Last edited:
I could see everyone getting at least 1 vote this month. That'll be great if that happens.

well you can purchase one of these

http://www.bokehmasterskit.com/buy/

or just make your own like i did, although mine weren't too succesfull as the above image was meant to be star's, i couldnt quite cut the star to be small enough...i messed about with this round about last xmas time, think i'll give it another go and see if i can master it, might purchase a kit i reckon.

well you can purchase one of these

http://www.bokehmasterskit.com/buy/

or just make your own like i did, although mine weren't too succesfull as the above image was meant to be star's, i couldnt quite cut the star to be small enough...i messed about with this round about last xmas time, think i'll give it another go and see if i can master it, might purchase a kit i reckon.
I'm probably being dumb but two questions? 1. Can it only be used with an SLR or DSLR? 2. Do you put it in front of the lens like a filter? Oh and a third question :) 3. Does a starburst filter work in the same way (bokeh) turning light sources into stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back