July - Round 7 - "The Sun" Voting Part 2 and comments

Picture of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One vote for me again this month and that goes to APB - love the colours and the vignetting very nice photo. Clyde was a very close second but thought APB just edged it this month. Some great photos overall this month.

Cheers guys, although lets be honest, if there's one topic that I've got to at least have a chance with winning it's "the sun" - can't escape from it out here! :lol:

It is all related to the sensor size as well, so if you took your 50mm lens from a 35mm camera and put it on a typical dSLR where it would behave a bit like a lens around 70mm as only part of the image is projected onto the sensor.

7mm on a compact camera with its tiny sensor will probably have a similar field of view to a 30mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Yes and the same with negative size before that which is why 42mm (although 50 has become the norm) is the standard lens for 35mm cameras and 80mm the standard lens for medium format, based on the diagonal of the neg.

Standard or normal lens being classed as that which most resembles the human eye and its angle of view.

My vote has gone to 'errant', I love the glare of that blinding sun, I love the vertical lines of the 'bridge wires' and the horizontal skyscraper horizon. The fact that it's taken from a moving car window hasn't been hidden and I feel that it actually enhances it.
This month, for me and many others, has been a 'time and place opportunity' and there are many beautiful shots, I had decided to get the contrast of the sun with man made things, rather than the beauty of the planet. As always 'every picture tells a story' and I feel that errants entry tells it as it is - the sun is being 'cut up by man'.

My vote has gone to 'errant', I love the glare of that blinding sun, I love the vertical lines of the 'bridge wires' and the horizontal skyscraper horizon. The fact that it's taken from a moving car window hasn't been hidden and I feel that it actually enhances it.
This month, for me and many others, has been a 'time and place opportunity' and there are many beautiful shots, I had decided to get the contrast of the sun with man made things, rather than the beauty of the planet. As always 'every picture tells a story' and I feel that errants entry tells it as it is - the sun is being 'cut up by man'.

I really liked your entry for similar reasons. Hadn't really considered before how well contrasting sun / landscapes with man-made objects works so well, definitely been my main learning from this month's theme.

I really liked your entry for similar reasons. Hadn't really considered before how well contrasting sun / landscapes with man-made objects works so well, definitely been my main learning from this month's theme.

It's all about individual responses of the subjuct. I liked your bee and flower very much and it sort of summed up the topic for me if I'd chosen the idea of the sun from a garden perspective - imagining I was sat in a deck chair and had just opened my eyes, that is possibly what I would immediately see.

In 2008, during the total eclipse of the sun here in west China which was absolutely stunning. I was lucky enough to witness and take photo's throughout
the day. Thousand of folk travelled from all over the world because of viewing conditions. I got photo's of each phase. However the ones I liked best were the shots I took of people during the build up to it!!!!
Like here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chinamackem/page4/

3 Votes from me this month:

APB - Great shot, I think you def had an advantage over most of the rest of us due to your location ;)

Chinamackem - Love this, as Spavin said the contrast of natural sun and manmade objects really gives a sense of the environment that the shot was taken in.

Peachbum - I'm a sucker for shots of stuff against a deep blue sky :lol: very nice.

Looking back now I would also have cast a vote for Errent for the same reasons as Chinammackem although in contrast i think the reflection from the window did take a little away from the shot for me. However, nice shot mate.

3 Votes from me this month:

APB - Great shot, I think you def had an advantage over most of the rest of us due to your location ;)

Chinamackem - Love this, as Spavin said the contrast of natural sun and manmade objects really gives a sense of the environment that the shot was taken in.

Peachbum - I'm a sucker for shots of stuff against a deep blue sky :lol: very nice.

Looking back now I would also have cast a vote for Errent for the same reasons as Chinammackem although in contrast i think the reflection from the window did take a little away from the shot for me. However, nice shot mate.

Am just hoping no one chooses any winter themes in the run up to christmas :lol:

I coiuold have voted for everyone's (bar mine) this month - the standard was bloody marvelous - well done all.

I've managed to wriggle it down to 7 and have voted for them all will try and gibve some feedback later.

Intended to vote for peachbum too, but the 2 threads confused me

If she manages to pull another 15 votes out of the bag, by rights she has an extra one

Her stuff is criminally underrated :)

Intended to vote for peachbum too, but the 2 threads confused me

If she manages to pull another 15 votes out of the bag, by rights she has an extra one

Her stuff is criminally underrated :)
I'll forego the vote for the lovely compliment. :-D:-D. Thank you!

Thanks too to Dublass and Rosscoah, nice to get votes when there are some such excellent photos posted.

Well done mate, worthy winner.....wish I'd never voted for you now :lol:

Wow, cheers everyone! thanks to everyone that voted and took part, very tough month i thought with some cracking entry's..will get thinking about septembers theme then.

Well done mate, worthy winner.....wish I'd never voted for you now :lol:

i gave you a vote too, so we are even :lol:

Well done Clyde, by persistence alone you deserve to win one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back