July - Round 7 - "The Sun" Voting Part 2 and comments

Picture of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely we could (if we wanted) just change the last bit of info to competitionaug even if it originally said /chocolateteapotdec09?

Yes you could, so?

You can name the file anything you want.

I can't change the name of someone else's uploaded filename though.

I can't change the url for someone else's pic.

You can access the url for any pic by right clicking on it.

With Firefox then select Image Info from the menu and with IE select Properties.

Last edited:

It's easy to look at the EXIF data for a file. If you use a PC you should download a bit of freeware called Opanda - it lets you see everything about the shot.
That would be a bit unnecessary wouldn't it?:) and is that where if you alter a digit by one you can see other pictures by the taker?

I think life is too short to check photo detail? What would you recommend EXIF for ? :)

I've got 10,000 photographs of a particular town taken over a period of time in which it is relevant to me to know when a particular shot was taken regarding the change that I have recorded.

It alsp provides focal length, aperture and shutter speed setting even when the camera has been used on any automatic setting and the camera used of the 7 digital cameras in the house that have been used over time.

Last edited:
I've got 10,000 photographs of a particular town taken over a period of time in which it is relevant to me to know when a particular shot was taken regarding the change that I have recorded.
Ah, fair point. I have about 50 photographs. And I know everyone by heart. I was thinking EXIF was to see other people's photographs. :oops:

It now sounds quite an interesting programme! Especially if you are learning and you want to remember how you got certain shots.

Yes you can see what exposure settings the camera selected if you're shooting on auto including what focul length you chose.

For example your entry was taken using a Canon Powershot A460 on 10/07/2010 at 15:02. The focal length was 7 mm and the exposure F9 @ 1/318 th of a second with ISO-100.

Yes you can see what exposure settings the camera selected if you're shooting on auto including what focul length you chose.

For example your entry was taken using a Canon Powershot A460 on 10/07/2010 at 15:02. The focal length was 7 mm and the exposure F9 @ 1/318 th of a second with ISO-100.
That's a bit spooky! Even I didn't know that (it being an automatic camera!) F9 @1/318 is a pretty good pick:). I forgotten what focal length is?

Does mine not show imagination?

Indeed it does grr.

I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not that easy to photograph to a topic in a short space of time because of so many factors and for those of us that actually do, it's great to see each others efforts and hear of how they tried to achieve that each month.

Keep it going mate.

Last edited:
Personally, I think maybe a monthly workshop for some of us would be of more value than a competition but there's probably not enough of us to keep it going.

You are jesting, surely?

You have a Canon A1 35mm SLR and can't remember what focal length is?
Indeed I do but you quoted 7mm as focal length and that threw me. I have a 50mm lens, a 28mm lens, a zoom lens which from memory is about 70-210mm (the figures quoted being their respective focal lengths). So 7mm is wider than fish-eye? I didn't think digital P&S did that wide? And it isn't wider than fish eye?

Last edited:
Indeed I do but you quoted 7mm as focal length and that threw me. I have a 50mm lens, a 28mm lens, a zoom lens which from memory is about 70-210mm (the figures quoted being their respective focal lengths). So 7mm is wider than fish-eye? I didn't think digital P&S did that wide? And it isn't wider than fish eye?

It is all related to the sensor size as well, so if you took your 50mm lens from a 35mm camera and put it on a typical dSLR where it would behave a bit like a lens around 70mm as only part of the image is projected onto the sensor.

7mm on a compact camera with its tiny sensor will probably have a similar field of view to a 30mm lens on a 35mm camera.

The original discussion surrounded EXIF data and I agree it can be really useful - if you are looking on flickr you can see the EXIF data for most peoples photos - If I particularly like a photo I look to see what settings the person used to take it - and learn!

It is all related to the sensor size as well, so if you took your 50mm lens from a 35mm camera and put it on a typical dSLR where it would behave a bit like a lens around 70mm as only part of the image is projected onto the sensor.

7mm on a compact camera with its tiny sensor will probably have a similar field of view to a 30mm lens on a 35mm camera.

The original discussion surrounded EXIF data and I agree it can be really useful - if you are looking on flickr you can see the EXIF data for most peoples photos - If I particularly like a photo I look to see what settings the person used to take it - and learn!
OK, I understand that as a fact now. Thank you. It will stay at 7mm all the time won't it being a compact camera? Or how will the zoom affect it? 2mm - 14 mm??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back