John Lewis in trouble

Ah fair enough that's canny then, plenty other shops that price match don't though. Always feel sorry for small shops when they sell something at a decent price and then someone like Game price matches and takes their business even though the consumer doesn't even benefit from it!
That is shitty getting undercut like that.

I noticed the other day that Amex are doing a Shop local promo. Obviously not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, but hopefully should get a few more punters shopping local.

Apologies for replying to a post from September but I agree about not being tempted to go somewhere that price matches. In fact I try to deliberately avoid such places, always sounds sneaky to me. It's like "we're going to try and charge a lot more than other shops, if you don't shop around we'll happily take your money but if somewhere is actually trying to offer good value and you notice it then why not fuck them over and come to us and we'll accept a little bit less profit this time". Be different if they actually changed the price in the shop once someone points out you can get it cheaper elsewhere but no, once you've been served and they've denied the other shop the revenue from that sale they'll keep hoping others don't check so they can make more profit again.

I know making profit is sort of the aim of a shop like, but still doesn't seem right. I'd only be tempted if they said they'd price match and take an extra 20% or something off (if it's a price match against another physical shop), otherwise I'd rather go to the place that is selling for a lower price to everyone

You generally get much better customer service at John Lewis, be it extra guarantees or the ability to take back and get a refund etc.

Buy quite a bit in there including all electrical goods , bought a new mattress this year and the advice was superb.

Don’t buy much at Fenwick’s apart from going in for a bite to eat , much prefer JL.

I noticed the other day that Amex are doing a Shop local promo. Obviously not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, but hopefully should get a few more punters shopping local.

That's big in the US. Nornally the Saturday after Black Friday I believe

The only solution I can see is for all our major retailers to get together to develop an enormous internet offer to rival Amazon.

Was talking to a lad who was doing some AI type work for John Lewis the other month and he was saying their high level plan is to try and become more like Amazon quicker than Amazon can become like John Lewis.

Not sure if that’s possible, or even makes sense, but it shows they are genuinely concerned.

Visa are pushing similar in their recent TV campaign.

I see it as a bit of strategic marketing for AMEX. The local stores must be the lowest users of AMEX due to fees.

Most shops are owned by pension funds and private landlords. Who'd have thunk Ashley would utter talk shit?

and Mike Ashley of course.

It's the ground rent he is challenging , said on the news he has got it down to nothing at some HoF sites , obviously not at the Metro Centre , who owns that land , the church maybe?

Debenhams would be prime candidates for me

M&S seemed quiet a couple of times this December, although I still think their brand loyalty will see them through fine

Back