John Lewis in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

They used to get shares when they became an employee then john lewis changed the rules a couple of years back so they don’t now. Social workers party or some other hippy group have a bit of a shout outside every saturday
So the John Lewis & Partners rebrand is bullshit?

They used to get shares when they became an employee then john lewis changed the rules a couple of years back so they don’t now. Social workers party or some other hippy group have a bit of a shout outside every saturday
It's still owned by the partners ie employees

John Lewis Partnership - Employee ownership

I'm doing a lot of work with them at the moment, got a workshop on Monday in fact, and it is stressed every time that everything they do is for the benefit of the partners. Their reasoning on the latest figures is they are battening down the hatches as the shake up of the market is going through some pretty drastic throes. They actually expect the next set of figures to be even worse still, but it's a calculated strategy and they are investing significantly to streamline all processes throughout the business.

All thanks to Brexit, well done Brexit voters.

We all told you this would happen, confidence has been knocked and people don’t spend when confidence is knocked.

Another major factor is amazon, it should be banned in Britain imho.
Brexit and austerity, both imposed self harm by this government and a few other misguided people.

Genuinely can't tell if serious
Of course it’s serious and we haven’t left yet. Hope you have the bruised fruit and broken biscuits stockpiled, along with lifesaving medicines, one never knows. Keep off the streets after curfew.

Last edited:
Do you shop in John Lewis or Fenwicks regularly?
They can't keep up, and in some cases haven't moved with the times.
The days of the department store are numbered.
I like the idea of them, and don't mind browsing in them.

But probably only make a couple purchases a year, which is the problem I guess.

I like the idea of them, and don't mind browsing in them.

But probably only make a couple purchases a year, which is the problem I guess.

Precisely.
Case in point: A a year or so ago me and Mrs K found a dress for our niece in Debenhams.
I looked at it online and it was the same price, but I could get cashback via TopCashback and it was free delivery.
We put it down and ordered it online.

JD sports know their market like the stores are absolutely full of stuff for teenagers

The customers who will whinge to their parents about not having the branded gear

Spot on mate
parents are buying designer gear for their kids, therefore..... make do without named gear themselves, meaning they don't then pay the visit to a house of fraser etc t9 fillet heir coffers
shame mind, I love a trip around hof, selfridges etc clothing departments

I can't remember ever buying anything from them, I do remember sticking Massive Attack, Safe from Harm on full blast and walking away in the Bristol store though.

Cracking track.

No idea, I know that the lowest paid jobs like cleaners they were taking them on as contractors to avoid making them partners or something like that

Justice for John Lewis Cleaners
Slight distortion of the truth there, the cleaning services are contracted out, as they are in most organisations. That's like saying if I am working on a project for JLP as an employee of my company I should also be a partner in their business. The cleaners could be working in a John Lewis store on a morning then cleaning the staff canteen in a Met Police station later the same day.

Slight distortion of the truth there, the cleaning services are contracted out, as they are in most organisations. That's like saying if I am working on a project for JLP as an employee of my company I should also be a partner in their business. The cleaners could be working in a John Lewis store on a morning then cleaning the staff canteen in a Met Police station later the same day.

That was the issue though wasn’t it, that john lewis used to employee cleaners in the past but now use contractors as a cheaper method? I did once listen to one of the SWP people but got bored of him very quickly.

The last bit is a poor example, we have hardly any canteens left and even fewer cleaners!

That was the issue though wasn’t it, that john lewis used to employee cleaners in the past but now use contractors as a cheaper method? I did once listen to one of the SWP people but got bored of him very quickly.

The last bit is a poor example, we have hardly any canteens left and even fewer cleaners!
Concept's the same, cleaning services are nearly always one of the first to be contracted out. Cleaners tend to work in multiple contracts in a day.

If they didn’t contract out and went bust they’d get slagged off for not running a more efficient business model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back