Joe Hart

I remember Neale playing for Lincoln. I don't remember Arnie as a footballer though (although I know he played). I think David Bairstow played for Bradford too.

Believe it or not, Arnie Sidebottom played for Man Utd in the first division. Widely recognised as one of the worst footballers to grace the top league (pre Liam Bridcutt)

Who's the last player to play county cricket and league football? Arnie Sidebottom?
Think Big Mike's nephew Joe Gatting did both but not at the same time.Educated guess would be Baron Botham,Scunny and Somerset.Alan Ramage did it for Boro and Yorkshire late 70's time
Lintz had Frank Clark,Dave Elliott and Joe Jacques play for them when pro footballers.Played against Steve Harper at Easington as a Newcastle youth.Also Brian Tinnion for Lintz around time he won the Youth Cup with Gazza,Joe Allon etc.John Carver played for Clara Vale in NWD League as a Newcastle youth.Others on here will no doubt quote Dicky Ord at Murton and Leighton James at Whitburn etc

Last edited:
Of current-ish players Chris Smalling, Ryan Shawcross, Rob Elliott (Mag goalie), George Honeyman, Danny Collins, Craig Gordon, Ben Chilwell, Ashley Fletcher all played county level junior cricket iirc. Milner and Lallana also played I think. That’ll be the tip of the iceberg obviously, esp for the northern lads.

Back