Joe Hart

Old enough to remember in the 1970s Chris Balderstone of Leics, England and Carlisle Utd and Ted Helmsley of Worcs and Sheff Utd.

I remember Chris Balderstone playing cricket for Leicestershire during the day and then going to play for Carlisle on the night.

Also David Bairstow played for Bradford City. He played for their reserves at Roker Park in the old North Midlands League (a hundred years ago!)

Think Big Mike's nephew Joe Gatting did both but not at the same time.Educated guess would be Baron Botham,Scunny and Somerset.Alan Ramage did it for Boro and Yorkshire late 70's time
Lintz had Frank Clark,Dave Elliott and Joe Jacques play for them when pro footballers.Played against Steve Harper at Easington as a Newcastle youth.Also Brian Tinnion for Lintz around time he won the Youth Cup with Gazza,Joe Allon etc.John Carver played for Clara Vale in NWD League as a Newcastle youth.Others on here will no doubt quote Dicky Ord at Murton and Leighton James at Whitburn etc
Chris Balderstone also in the 70s

Nigel Martyn actually preferred cricket to rugby and is still keeping wicket in the Weatherby League I think. For two years he kept wicket to my son, who also played in the same school cricket team as Jordan Pickford. I think he is probably the only person to play cricket in the same side as two different England goalkeepers.

Nigel Martyn actually preferred cricket to rugby and is still keeping wicket in the Weatherby League I think. For two years he kept wicket to my son, who also played in the same school cricket team as Jordan Pickford. I think he is probably the only person to play cricket in the same side as two different England goalkeepers.

Did Pickford play cricket for WCC? I was playing against your 3s 10 years or so ago so wonderedif I’d played against him.

I played with Richie Pitt at Dawdon CWCC before he went to SAFC - left-arm fast-medium. I played with Monty for SAFC v Wearmouth in the mid-70s. A wicket for me was c Montgomery b Johnap.
Ritchie was a very tidy left arm seamer when I played against him, in the late 80s, many years after SAFC. Lovely bloke.

what was their skill, batting or bowling
Monty - not sure. The one game I played against him he didn't bowl and I cleaned him out second ball. Forgiveable. He was already a Living God anyway.
Lord Rowell - bowler - batting a bit agricultural. Again, forgivable as he was already a Living God.
Leighton James - Steady opening bat. Was on Glamorgan's books at one time, I believe
Ritchie Pitt - Good left arm seamer. Accurate.
Paul Lemon - middle order bat. I bowled him on 95.

Back