Joe Aribo

Status
Not open for further replies.

By the way Charlton kept him till summer to get them promoted n now he’s off

Worked for both parties

Yet we couldn’t find this with Maja?

Agree with you but equally we aren't privy to all the facts. I'm sure there was a rumour (or did Donald say it on one of the podcasts?) that when Bordeaux were interested he basically cleaned out his place and said he was going. The decision regarding whether to keep someone who could leave for free in the summer or cash in needs to take the players attitude into account. Maybe they spoke to Aribo and he was happy to do his best for the rest of the season and hope to have more clubs after him when he was free (and could command a higher signing on fee). Perhaps this contrasted with Maja who was desperate just to go there and then and might not have put the effort in had he been forced against his will to see his contract out. Had he been plodding about, put zero effort in and we'd missed out on promotion then, again with hindsight, people would be saying we should have let him go and used the money to bring in a committed player proven at this level, like Grigg

Agree with you but equally we aren't privy to all the facts. I'm sure there was a rumour (or did Donald say it on one of the podcasts?) that when Bordeaux were interested he basically cleaned out his place and said he was going. The decision regarding whether to keep someone who could leave for free in the summer or cash in needs to take the players attitude into account. Maybe they spoke to Aribo and he was happy to do his best for the rest of the season and hope to have more clubs after him when he was free (and could command a higher signing on fee). Perhaps this contrasted with Maja who was desperate just to go there and then and might not have put the effort in had he been forced against his will to see his contract out. Had he been plodding about, put zero effort in and we'd missed out on promotion then, again with hindsight, people would be saying we should have let him go and used the money to bring in a committed player proven at this level, like Grigg

There was a hell of a lot of PR done by Donald over that move like

He shouldn’t have been sold, it’s dry simple for me.

Spot on. His agent also wanted the move..

There was a hell of a lot of PR done by Donald over that move like

He shouldn’t have been sold, it’s dry simple for me.

There was a bit but like I say if his head had been turned and he said he didn't want to play for us then we had no choice really. I'm not saying that's what happened, but we can't totally criticise the decision when it might have been the case and was hinted at by Donald. We certainly can't point to a different player staying and doing well and use that as something to criticise the club over when the situations might well have been completely different. Like I say if he'd stayed and been shit, or pretended to be injured so as not to wreck his chances of a big move then the club would have been criticised for that too. Equally the club (different situation I agree) opted to keep a player who was desperate to leave in Kone when Everton came in for him, he was never the same again and with hindsight we all wish we'd snapped their hands off.

No two situations are alike. Given how we missed out on promotion then aye, with hindsight, he might as well have stayed, but that's always the case after the event. Had Grigg scored the winner in the play off final we might have been pleased about the decision and they might have regretted not taking money in January

Last edited:
By the way Charlton kept him till summer to get them promoted n now he’s off

Worked for both parties

Yet we couldn’t find this with Maja?

Each player has their own mind though to be fair. I'm not saying this would have happened but how do we know if we kept Maja that he'd have gave his all similarly to Aribo? Nobody can guarentee that would be the case so comparing the two situations is impossible.

If we had kept an unhappy Maja, not got promoted and then lost him for nowt...

There was a bit but like I say if his head had been turned and he said he didn't want to play for us then we had no choice really. I'm not saying that's what happened, but we can't totally criticise the decision when it might have been the case and was hinted at by Donald. We certainly can't point to a different player staying and doing well and use that as something to criticise the club over when the situations might well have been completely different. Like I say if he'd stayed and been shit, or pretended to be injured so as not to wreck his chances of a big move then the club would have been criticised for that too. Equally the club (different situation I agree) opted to keep a player who was desperate to leave in Kone when Everton came in for him, he was never the same again and with hindsight we all wish we'd snapped their hands off.

No two situations are alike. Given how we missed out on promotion then aye, with hindsight, he might as well have stayed, but that's always the case after the event. Had Grigg scored the winner in the play off final we might have been pleased about the decision and they might have regretted not taking money in January

Just happened to go to a club we owed money to.

Ross came out and praised his attitude after as well. If he cleaned out his locker that fast I'm not sure how he had time to buy staff at the club presents before he left.

More to that deal than meets the eye imo and I'm not I believe anyone about what has been said about it all publicly.

Each player has their own mind though to be fair. I'm not saying this would have happened but how do we know if we kept Maja that he'd have gave his all similarly to Aribo? Nobody can guarentee that would be the case so comparing the two situations is impossible.

Would make no sense for Maja to just gibe up half way through the season. If he kept going the second half of the season he would get a bigger, more lucrative move at the end of it.

Although Donald has repeatedly said players who won't sign a contract won't play. We've seen Kimpioka frozen out because of it (and Matthews?).

If that's the case then paying off a debt to Bordeoux, opposed to freezing Maja out, is the ideal scenario for Donald.

I mean he was still scoring, he scored in his last game

Just think the whole thing was handled badly, I honestly don't think it entered Donald's head that there was another option other than Selling or getting a new contract signed

I am not convinced it ever crossed his mind, he saw the chance to get some money in and took it, either naive or poor, depends on your view

I mean he was still scoring, he scored in his last game

Just think the whole thing was handled badly, I honestly don't think it entered Donald's head that there was another option other than Selling or getting a new contract signed

I am not convinced it ever crossed his mind, he saw the chance to get some money in and took it, either naive or poor, depends on your view

He's also said in a recent podcast he could have done more (or words to that affect-Cant remember exactly). I thought that was as close as we'd get to him admitting he fucked it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back