Joe Anderson, loaned to Shrewsbury

He's been doing quite well when I've seen him, no idea why he was on the bench on Saturday when he had a good game the Tuesday before. Matty Taylor is under quite a bit of pressure there with fans calling for him to be sacked when they went two down against Reading on Saturday, they went on to win 3-2 so that probably eased things a bit.

Back to Anderson, he's good in the air and good with the ball and crucially for some he's over 6ft! Maybe he'll be back in January to add some depth to the squad, still only 22.
Aye, CBs tend to mature a lot later too and Everton had never loaned him out before we signed him, so definitely going to be a late bloomer.

I think your maths is off and unless you've seen those games how can you judge?
Might be double then, I know he was a somewhat regular before he came here and is a younger player.

Whereas Anderson had wingers being selected ahead of him in his own position.

Might be double then, I know he was a somewhat regular before he came here and is a younger player.

Whereas Anderson had wingers being selected ahead of him in his own position.
I'm not sure either point means he's better to be honest. See how Anderson gets on when he's back.

He's been doing quite well when I've seen him, no idea why he was on the bench on Saturday when he had a good game the Tuesday before. Matty Taylor is under quite a bit of pressure there with fans calling for him to be sacked when they went two down against Reading on Saturday, they went on to win 3-2 so that probably eased things a bit.

Back to Anderson, he's good in the air and good with the ball and crucially for some he's over 6ft! Maybe he'll be back in January to add some depth to the squad, still only 22.
Roker report did a piece a while back on how our loaned players are doing and not very well was the answer. Bass doing ok, but this lad and johnson are not impressing. I fear this one is a dud. from their fanzine "I can’t see the club wanting to make the move permanent, and so as he isn’t in our strongest XI, he would be some way off challenging for a spot in Sunderland first team too"

It was a strange signing in a January transfer window, he was nowhere near ready for first team football.
Not at all. You're right though, Mowbray was getting shit for not playing him when we were bare bones. Sign of a good coach imo. Mowbray didn't sign the lad and he clearly was nowhere near what we needed att. I think he did him a service by not hoying him in at the deep end.

Not at all. You're right though, Mowbray was getting shit for not playing him when we were bare bones. Sign of a good coach imo. Mowbray didn't sign the lad and he clearly was nowhere near what we needed att. I think he did him a service by not hoying him in at the deep end.
The lad and Mowbray would have been hammered mate, he doesn't get enough credit by some when he is clearly protecting these young lads if they are not ready, especially when they are screaming for them to be thrown in.

Roker report did a piece a while back on how our loaned players are doing and not very well was the answer. Bass doing ok, but this lad and johnson are not impressing. I fear this one is a dud. from their fanzine "I can’t see the club wanting to make the move permanent, and so as he isn’t in our strongest XI, he would be some way off challenging for a spot in Sunderland first team too"
I've watched quite a bit of Shrewsbury this season and he's solid, part of the problem is the emergence of Jason Sraha in his position who looks one of their better players in recent weeks - possibly since Anderson was sent off. They tend to play 3 at the back as well so there's only really one slot up for grabs for him.

I wouldn't say he's a dud, the loan will do him good whether he returns or moves on.

The lad and Mowbray would have been hammered mate, he doesn't get enough credit by some when he is clearly protecting these young lads if they are not ready, especially when they are screaming for them to be thrown in.
It wouldn't have done service to all involved, bud. I remember seeing sarky comments on here saying ''well he's a CB, play him. We signed him''. Can't stand seeing that. It doesn't work like that when the head coach hasn't signed these players. Fair dos if it was back when the manager was calling the shots and signing who ever. That's on their head. I trust the recruitment as well for the most part, can't argue with the lads they've brought in but bound to misfire sometimes.

It wouldn't have done service to all involved, bud. I remember seeing sarky comments on here saying ''well he's a CB, play him. We signed him''. Can't stand seeing that. It doesn't work like that when the head coach hasn't signed these players. Fair dos if it was back when the manager was calling the shots and signing who ever. That's on their head. I trust the recruitment as well for the most part, can't argue with the lads they've brought in but bound to misfire sometimes.
Bang on 👍 I was critical last season of Speakman and some of our recruitment especially the striker situation, but I get now that its a process that isn't going to be solved in a season or two. Once you see that I can understand what they are trying to achieve , the odd player or two might not make the grade and they will have to be moved on, hopefully for a fee.

Bang on 👍 I was critical last season of Speakman and some of our recruitment especially the striker situation, but I get now that its a process that isn't going to be solved in a season or two. Once you see that I can understand what they are trying to achieve , the odd player or two might not make the grade and they will have to be moved on, hopefully for a fee.
It's a process that is working: anyone who doubts it, fine. Just have a quick retrospective look at the decent we were in, for f***ing ages tbf. This now, what's happening isn't bolting us back into the Panini Sticker Album but it's f***ing working. I'd rather have Jack Clarke and the likes and take our time than N'Dong and another of the f***ing pirates we had last time we were in the PL. Maybe, just f***ing maybe we can do better this time with more planning? I dunno maybe I'm stupid...

It's a process that is working: anyone who doubts it, fine. Just have a quick retrospective look at the decent we were in, for f***ing ages tbf. This now, what's happening isn't bolting us back into the Panini Sticker Album but it's f***ing working. I'd rather have Jack Clarke and the likes and take our time than N'Dong and another of the f***ing pirates we had last time we were in the PL. Maybe, just f***ing maybe we can do better this time with more planning? I dunno maybe I'm stupid...
Those were dark days slipping from the premiership in to league 1 in 2 seasons, it was f*cking horrific , watching players who literally couldn't be arsed and taking the piss out of the club.

Get that it's a process but a blind man on a galloping horse could see that Anderson was a skinny fecka.

Back