Jobs going

John Lewis allegedly cares more than others....

Bollocks.

I’m not saying it’s wrong or right - but a company’s main responsibility is to its shareholders. Not their employees.

That said in good times, what’s good for the shareholders is usually good for the employees too.

In bad times, decisions have to be made to protect the company so in the long run more people can be employed.

Bollocks.

I’m not saying it’s wrong or right - but a company’s main responsibility is to its shareholders. Not their employees.

That said in good times, what’s good for the shareholders is usually good for the employees too.

In bad times, decisions have to be made to protect the company so in the long run more people can be employed.

John Lewis is an employee owned mutual.

It's a shame John Lewis stores are closing, although it is only 2 proper department ones. Would be interesting to see the uk corp tax payment history of John Lewis compared to amazon etc

Bollocks.

So in the John Lewis case the staff allegedly own the business, but I take your point

Prepare for mass long term unemployment. Expect government courses as a sop withlittle or nothing at the end of the. It could make the 1980s look small beer.All because the stupid people at the top followed Trump and ignored the virus. Herd immunity, what a great idea. Brexit? A nation half full of ...............!
?

Going to be an unemployment on a unfathomable scale. From my purely selfish point of view though it means there can not be a second national lockdown. Would decimate society beyond repair. Processes which were always going to happen - more automation of jobs, retail and high streets no longer fit for purpose, old fashioned working habits dying out .... have been/will be exacerbated by this crisis.

Prepare for mass long term unemployment. Expect government courses as a sop withlittle or nothing at the end of the. It could make the 1980s look small beer.All because the stupid people at the top followed Trump and ignored the virus. Herd immunity, what a great idea. Brexit? A nation half full of ...............!
?
Sunak the chancellor of the exchequer already apologising for the jobs he hasn’t been able to save.

Going to be an unemployment on a unfathomable scale. From my purely selfish point of view though it means there can not be a second national lockdown. Would decimate society beyond repair. Processes which were always going to happen - more automation of jobs, retail and high streets no longer fit for purpose, old fashioned working habits dying out .... have been/will be exacerbated by this crisis.
I was thinking about the high street earlier might the mass job losses make the government have to tax online purchases to prevent carnage. Probably not

Back