Job applications - pretending to be bisexual

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We particularly welcome..." seems to imply that applicants with these characteristics will be at an advantage, or why mention it?

It’s just a fairly generic inclusivity statement, the kind of thing most organisations will have in some form or another. If people are offering an actual advantage they just say it.

Exactly my thoughts. In many places discussion of sexual orientation in the workplace (and particularly in a job interview) is illegal and if it isn’t it shouldn’t be.

It’s illegal in this country.

If you can gain preferential treatment in a job application by being bisexual then how would your employers ever be able to prove that you don’t bat for both teams?

Business Change Manager - Nottingham NG2 - Indeed.co.uk
We particularly welcome applicants from black, minority, ethnic (BME) communities, disabled people and lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities and as they are currently under represented within our workforce.
That will spark outrage as there is no mention of people who suck dogs off . Give it time .

Welcoming applications is of course vastly different to showing positive discrimination in selection. But you know, outrage :rolleyes:

I wouldn't accept a job where I thought my sexuality played a part. In fact I tend to tick the prefer not to say / mind your f***ing business box on forms.

Business Change Manager

Shouldn’t the business just be happy the way it is. And we accept it for what it is.

I can’t agree with this. Management of change is of significant benefit or risk to a business. The evolution of how things operate should be reviewed before being implemented. Then there is management of change within live projects. This inevitably has cost/ time implications.

I know an owner of a small business who has a token gay employee.

The lass isn't gay but gets wheeled out at key times to demonstrate her boss's approach to equality.

I once worked with a lass who became a man.
She was at the time a toilet cleaner on about 8k and they made him the head of inclusion and diversity without an interview on about 35k

If you can gain preferential treatment in a job application by being bisexual then how would your employers ever be able to prove that you don’t bat for both teams?

Business Change Manager - Nottingham NG2 - Indeed.co.uk
We particularly welcome applicants from black, minority, ethnic (BME) communities, disabled people and lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities and as they are currently under represented within our workforce.

Thanks to Brexit won’t be as easy to hire workers from Transylvania

No special treatment has been stated but as those groups are under represented in the workforce it isn’t unlikely that there will be a push to increase their representation (a manger somewhere will have it in their work plan), so some indirect special treatment isn’t unlikely, even if it’s just the individuals interviewing keeping their bias to themselves as opposed to documenting it. The company I work for has clear targets to have more balanced representation, which in the sector I work in inevitably means some people get pushed forwards ahead of others, not on merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back