Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Look at the comments on that article. They don't want him to leave.

You didn't want him to join, even though he was a straight swap for jozy altidore.

Have a think about that for a few minutes.

Not so. My only objection was the length of his contract - a contract that was widely criticised by people who weren't siege mentality Sunderland supporters.

I look forward to correcting you on things you've imagined I've said the same time next week.

Defoe has been utterly brilliant TBH. Playing up front, by himself, in a relegation threatened team and still managing to score as many as he has is nothing short of fantastic. His attitude is great and his willingness no run the flanks is a real asset for the team. Very high fitness levels for his age too.

I said on another thread that Watmore should take every opportunity to learn from Defoe's attitude, fitness and team ethic.

Defoe has been utterly brilliant TBH. Playing up front, by himself, in a relegation threatened team and still managing to score as many as he has is nothing short of fantastic. His attitude is great and his willingness no run the flanks is a real asset for the team. Very high fitness levels for his age too.
Player of the Season for me, Kirchoff had he played a whole season would have been in with a shout.

Still LMAO for the goal he scored at Palace. And Scott Dann w a look on his face that said where's the nearest hole to crawl in ...

It's old, £4m in wages is loads and our budgets are tiny.

hahahahaha, desperate stuff. so no concern as to what he would do for the duration of his contract, just the fact he'd be 35 at the end? you're either clutching at straws or making things up to cover your inanity. accept your wrong and move on.

You can look back on my posts from the time if you're that arsed.

No skin off my nose if you want to dream something else up - but it's a bit weird.

It's old, £4m in wages is loads and our budgets are tiny.

You can look back on my posts from the time if you're that arsed.

No skin off my nose if you want to dream something else up - but it's a bit weird.
what's weird is you deciding in advance that a 35 year old defoe hasn;t been worth the money.

Tee totaller, never trust them but works for footy players

At the time he posted it. It was daft but at the time he was struggling to make an impact and the team were suffering for it. Turns out he's class as a lone striker.

And the long balls to him do work if the others back him up.

The 1st goal at Norwich saw Borini bust a gut to get alongside.

Fair enough. We're both selected points of Defoe's career to justify our stance mind.

Anyway, his form this season is brilliant, whether that's a surprise or not is nothing something we're not going to agree on.

The biggest surprise for me is Defoe's attitude. I assumed that he wouldn't be especially arsed but in hindsight that's an opinion that's based on next to nothing. For some reason I had Defoe pegged as a "typical Prem footballer" with a superior attitude. He's proved me very wrong. Based on that prejudice, I assumed we've a saddled with a 35yo Defoe, out of shape and picking up £70k per week. Even if he's not a starter by then, you could see him being effective off the bench and, if we go down, he still has a bit of resale value.

This is a really good point - I hope we don't have to find out whether it is true or not, but he would fetch I'm guessing £5m if we had to sell. Buying him was a great piece of business - Altidore couldn't score in a brothel, Defoe has scored vital goals, including the screamer to beat the Mags last season, so we have a win win really, more effective than Altidore (different league to Altidore in reality) plus, if Doomsday happens, the probability of getting most of the Altidore money back.

Is this the one Congerton got right?

The biggest surprise for me is Defoe's attitude. I assumed that he wouldn't be especially arsed but in hindsight that's an opinion that's based on next to nothing. For some reason I had Defoe pegged as a "typical Prem footballer" with a superior attitude. He's proved me very wrong. Based on that prejudice, I assumed we've a saddled with a 35yo Defoe, out of shape and picking up £70k per week. Even if he's not a starter by then, you could see him being effective off the bench and, if we go down, he still has a bit of resale value.

Now this I wholeheartedly agree with. I just presumed he would come here, score a few goals, then possible move back darn sarf after shagging loadsa of birds and jetting back to London for a night out at every opportunity, not giving too much of a toss either way and possibly causing a few problems on the way. I knew he was still sharp, but I didn't know that he's either some kind of freak or looks after himself very well. I guess I'd labelled him as your typical modern footballer and bought into the press he got whilst younger (though I suppose some of that was probably deserved).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back