Jermaine Defoe - Poorest signing in recent memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

"In his 57 games since the 2010/11 season, Defoe has scored 20 goals from a total of 181 shots, or a miserable one goal from every nine attempts (11%). Glenn Hoddle famously derided Andy Cole as ‘needing six or seven chances to score one goal’, a strike ratio Jermain Defoe could only dream of."

Therefore there were many, many strikers who were ahead of him during his career. I'm not sure if there's anything in the persistent accusation of Defoe being a negative dressing room influence. Seems like a model pro to me, his fitness being one of his most impressive attributes imo.

But that's a hand picked stat if ever I've seen one. Why the 2010/11 season? You mean the season after he scored 18 goals in the PL from 34 games? You mean the season where he scored 4 goals an the one where he spent two and a half months out after being injured when playing for England? What he doesn't tell you that in that particular season Defoe may have played in 22 PL games, but he only started 9.

Since then he's often played second fiddle to other strikers at Spurs. No suprises then he's not as consistent as he is at the moment.

You first paragraph is spot on, but your second paragraph is revisionist.

He didn't get selected much for England because he wasn't good enough. He's an out-and-out striker who has never been a ruthless finisher - from that link above;

"In his 57 games since the 2010/11 season, Defoe has scored 20 goals from a total of 181 shots, or a miserable one goal from every nine attempts (11%). Glenn Hoddle famously derided Andy Cole as ‘needing six or seven chances to score one goal’, a strike ratio Jermain Defoe could only dream of."

Therefore there were many, many strikers who were ahead of him during his career. I'm not sure if there's anything in the persistent accusation of Defoe being a negative dressing room influence. Seems like a model pro to me, his fitness being one of his most impressive attributes imo.

I am a superior fan to you in every respect. We both know this.

Pathetic comment that tbh.

He actually had a purple patch just before he left for the MLS, having spent time out of the side, I think it took one or two by suprise as he still looked very sharp and up to it. He maybe like David Beckham before him thought he was on the wane, because he wasn't being played so often and people were telling him he was, just before he got regular starts again and everyone saw he wasn't.

As for the blog. Early on in it he suggests Defoe has never scored 20 PL goals as if it's some kind of defining stat (something Owen in his prime never did despite being a world class striker at the time - something we're not claiming Defoe is are we??). I find it amusing that this season Jamie Vardy has managed the feat, given his career so far - what exactly does it tell us? Well Defoe has only once ever played a full 38 game PL season once (as a youngster at West Ham) and on seven occasions has he played 34 PL games or more. Given that over a quarter of his PL games have come as a sub it's unlikey he's ever had close to a full season at Spurs as a starter to achieve that.

I certainly don't think it's a great article or even balanced. He manages to compare the likes of Bent scoring 20 goals here more favourably, without mentioning that Bent struggled for form when in the same situation Defoe found himself in at Spurs - behind Keane and Berbatov, two better players and struggling for regular starts. He also compares to Adebayor who done it once in a free scoring Arsenal side when Cesc Fabregas was at his absolute best or even Andy Johnson who's 20 goals consisted of IIRC 11 penalties.

The article doesn't show that he's become more consistent here, it's just a moan at him from fans who believe they deserve to be winning the league every season and had become used to him being there and scoring goals that a complacency towards him had taken over. The stats show here and at Pompey and when he played regularly at Spurs that he's always scored regularly.

Fair enough. We're both selected points of Defoe's career to justify our stance mind.

Anyway, his form this season is brilliant, whether that's a surprise or not is nothing something we're not going to agree on.

The biggest surprise for me is Defoe's attitude. I assumed that he wouldn't be especially arsed but in hindsight that's an opinion that's based on next to nothing. For some reason I had Defoe pegged as a "typical Prem footballer" with a superior attitude. He's proved me very wrong. Based on that prejudice, I assumed we've a saddled with a 35yo Defoe, out of shape and picking up £70k per week. Even if he's not a starter by then, you could see him being effective off the bench and, if we go down, he still has a bit of resale value.

unless he admits he was wrong, no. has he even been on latley, the silly idiot.:lol:
To be fair he has admitted it, his point at the time wasn't even that ridiculous. He didn't even say Defoe was shit, just that he hadn't really worked out.

Fair enough. We're both selected points of Defoe's career to justify our stance mind.

Anyway, his form this season is brilliant, whether that's a surprise or not is nothing something we're not going to agree on.

The biggest surprise for me is Defoe's attitude. I assumed that he wouldn't be especially arsed but in hindsight that's an opinion that's based on next to nothing. For some reason I had Defoe pegged as a "typical Prem footballer" with a superior attitude. He's proved me very wrong. Based on that prejudice, I assumed we've a saddled with a 35yo Defoe, out of shape and picking up £70k per week. Even if he's not a starter by then, you could see him being effective off the bench and, if we go down, he still has a bit of resale value.
I must admit I feared that as well. He's been superb though.

This is Defoe's most consistent season for about a decade.

He's doing brilliantly well for us, having performed fitfully throughout his career in largely attack-minded teams. I didn't see it coming, because there's nothing in his track record to suggest it. No eyebrows were raised when he went to the MLS, as was a good-not-great striker very much on the wane.

Please don't take my word for it. Here's a stats-based blog written by a Spurs fan in Defoe's last season.

http://www.totaltottenham.com/blogs/jermain-defoe-he-shoots-when-he-wants/
Look at the comments on that article. They don't want him to leave.

You didn't want him to join, even though he was a straight swap for jozy altidore.

Have a think about that for a few minutes.

It's been a pleasure watching a player of Defoe's quality playing for us, it's not just his finishing to admire it's his all round game, he holds the ball up exceptionally well for someone so small. He doesn't miss many games either and touch wood he stays fit for the rest of the season, if he does we will stay up, it's as simple as that.

It's been a pleasure watching a player of Defoe's quality playing for us, it's not just his finishing to admire it's his all round game, he holds the ball up exceptionally well for someone so small. He doesn't miss many games either and touch wood he stays fit for the rest of the season, if he does we will stay up, it's as simple as that.

If he doesn't we are in big bother

This is Defoe's most consistent season for about a decade.

He's doing brilliantly well for us, having performed fitfully throughout his career in largely attack-minded teams. I didn't see it coming, because there's nothing in his track record to suggest it. No eyebrows were raised when he went to the MLS, as was a good-not-great striker very much on the wane.

Please don't take my word for it. Here's a stats-based blog written by a Spurs fan in Defoe's last season.

http://www.totaltottenham.com/blogs/jermain-defoe-he-shoots-when-he-wants/
It is interesting to note that the article criticises Defoe for having very few assists because he is greedy and wont pass to team mates in a much better position. This is what I have argued in a different thread and has in my opinion potentially cost us points in recent matches. It is so easy to blame the defence but the blame lies throughout the team and the attack have been more guilty for lost points in recent weeks than the defence.

Great player still pinching myself we still have him....it will be ashame if we go down and see him leave...I am starting to like this squad again.....except Rodwell

if you can't even get his age right there's no reason to assume anything else you say about him has credibility....

But that's a hand picked stat if ever I've seen one. Why the 2010/11 season? You mean the season after he scored 18 goals in the PL from 34 games? You mean the season where he scored 4 goals an the one where he spent two and a half months out after being injured when playing for England? What he doesn't tell you that in that particular season Defoe may have played in 22 PL games, but he only started 9.

Since then he's often played second fiddle to other strikers at Spurs. No suprises then he's not as consistent as he is at the moment.
Correct. The only stat that counts as far as SAFC are concerned in 2016 is 16 goals from 25 starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back