Jeff Whitley

He was an almost ever present of a promotion winning Sunderland team I think? People talk him down because of the cack Penner.

He was a good signing and a decent player for us. From memory he played more or less the full season, in the middle of the park for a team that won the league.
No idea why people slate him on here.

I went ballistic when he chipped that penalty over the bar
He didn't chip it over the bar, he tried to be clever in waiting for the goalkeeper to make his move before hitting it and ended up just chipping it the way the keeper was going. :lol: Chris Brown said it was the angriest he'd ever seen Mick McCarthy, absolutely layed into Whitley in the dressing room.

Last edited:
Technically very poor he couldn’t pass had a horrendous touch

Sure he did the job mccarthy wanted him but it was horrendous to watch

He was an almost ever present of a promotion winning Sunderland team I think? People talk him down because of the cack Penner.
Nah he was already someone the fans didn't rate before that penalty, he was very limited but must have had something about him to be a regular in a promotion side.

I always thought he was alright but I was fairly young at the time. We wouldn’t have won the league if he was as shit as it’s made out on here.

He wasn’t great technically but he really got stuck in and did a job. Probably not really any less talented as a midfielder than Bally but off field issues took a toll.

Back