Jeff Whitley

Following on from the worst players thread I was only a teenager at the time but was he as bad as I remember him being? How the fuck did he manage to be a first team regular for 2 full seasons?:eek: Can’t remember a single game where he wasn’t utter dross and caused nothing but bother off the field.

Credit where it’s due he’s turned his life around nowadays.

Following on from the worst players thread I was only a teenager at the time but was he as bad as I remember him being? How the fuck did he manage to be a first team regular for 2 full seasons?:eek: Can’t remember a single game where he wasn’t utter dross and caused nothing but bother off the field.

Was poor but wouldn’t get near even the bench in our worst ever team. Also part of a team that got us promoted. Fair play to him

Just like the shite we had in league 1 he was the result of where we were and how much we were spending at the time. From what I remember he didn't do much and missed a pen in the playoffs but was vital in our promotion, also came through at man city which shows how far they have come

Last edited:
My recollections are different.

He started as badly as any debutant I’ve ever seen. IIRC it was against Mansfield in the cup and he didn’t look like a professional footballer. McCarthy then didn’t play him, preferring Thornton and Thirlwell with Healy rotating in. Whitley became the forgotten man.

However a few months into the season injuries dictated he had to play. He surprised and did ok, he kept his place, we finished third and then first the season after with him at the heart of the midfield. He wasn’t that bad during this time! If he was he wouldn’t have played and/or we wouldn’t be top of the Championship.

However, by the end of the title winning season he was dropped again because his off field problems were properly showing and his performances reverted back to debut standards, ie barely kick a ball straight. Whitehead and Robinson became the midfield at the end of the season.

So aside from the start and the end he was a canny signing and played a lot during our title winning campaign in central midfield. But people remember the extremes and the fact he had obvious personal problems.

He started as badly as any debutant I’ve ever seen. IIRC it was against Mansfield in the cup and he didn’t look like a professional footballer. McCarthy then didn’t play him, preferring Thornton and Thirlwell with Healy rotating in. Whitley became the forgotten man.

However a few months into the season injuries dictated he had to play. He surprised and did ok, he kept his place, we finished third and then first the season after with him at the heart of the midfield. He wasn’t that bad during this time! If he was he wouldn’t have played and/or we wouldn’t be top of the Championship.

However, by the end of the title winning season he was dropped again because his off field problems were properly showing and his performances reverted back to debut standards, ie barely kick a ball straight. Whitehead and Robinson became the midfield at the end of the season.

So aside from the start and the end he was a canny signing and played a lot during our title winning campaign in central midfield. But people remember the extremes and the fact he had obvious personal problems.

Such a shame we didn't get to see him more often in a red and white shirt. Thought he could have been a bit of a cult hero here but for the horrific injuries. Always looked a very tidy player.

Absolutely spot on. He definitely did a job for us.

Also, his sliding tackle goal against West Ham is one of my favourite goals.

Back