Jason Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's got some great one-day shots, but keeps getting out trying to play them in the Test format. Agree with previous comments: he looks more suited to batting at 4 or 5.

I think its worth mentioning that Roy for opener has been backed most vociferously and over the longest period of time by MrJardine. I think his entire reputation as a poster should depend n this one issue ;)

I've always been dead against it until the time he was actually picked because we really had exhausted almost every other realistic option first. One day cricket is absolutely no barometer for the likely success of a test cricketer (particularly opening the batting) The leave is the most important shot opening the batting, Roy will receive nothing else other that a moving ball on 4th stump line with slips and gully in place. He cant use his one day get out shot down to third man. On a flat pitch against a weaker attack than the Aussies it is possible he could make a score but that could be said for anyone.

Reactions: Bri
So really you’re dropping Denly for Ballance.

Aye, take all the points about Ballance failing previously and ideally would have neither in the side.

However can only pick what is available and imo of players available Ballance is a better player than Denly.
You wanted Root at 3 for months, now hes moved there you want him to open?

Yeah I wanted Root to take responsibility and Bairstow for that matter, to bat which best suits the team ,not their preferred option amd at the moment and the fact we have now exhausted all possible openers ,imo it’s time for him to step up allowing Roy to bat down the order which would suit him better.

Root has opened before, is in very early at the moment anyway, we need someone to take the shine of the ball and bat time, allowing strike players like Buttler, Stokes and Roy to have more freedom rather than coming in, in a crisis and again while far from ideal Root opening, I think it’s the best option out of limited options with the personal available.
I think it’s easy all of us to say who should not be batting where but a lot harder to actually say who should be batting where, the cupboard for openers is as bare as it’s ever been imo.

Root is worth a go can’t get any worse?

Last edited:
His confidence will now be very low and he will be getting criticised from all parts.

Which I think is a massive shame and unfair on him.

We have seen for the last couple of years how difficult it has been for opening batsman in test cricket, therefore to open with a one day player was just total muddled thinking imo.

That was another terrible shot he played today. He seems incapable of just leaving balls.

I love JRoy, but a Test level batsman he ain't.
Move him to 4, bring in errrrrrrmmmmmm ?
His confidence will now be very low and he will be getting criticised from all parts.

Which I think is a massive shame and unfair on him.

We have seen for the last couple of years how difficult it has been for opening batsman in test cricket, therefore to open with a one day player was just total muddled thinking imo.

Not sure they had much choice tbf

Hasn't he opened his entire career? We can't just keep packing the side with blasters and moving everyone up one.

Also, he hasn't played a game of red ball cricket for Surrey all season.

Hasn't he opened his entire career? We can't just keep packing the side with blasters and moving everyone up one.

Also, he hasn't played a game of red ball cricket for Surrey all season.
He bats 5/6 for Surrey in red ball, mate.

Last time he opened for us in red ball was in 2011 - during a last day run chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back