Jamie Oliver

I'm going to start by saying that I have absolutely no idea if this story is true, or if it's one of those "I know someone who..." urban legend stories that get regurgitated by Billy bullshitters.

But here goes...

My mam retired from teaching at hillview last summer.
One of the women she worked with told her that her and her husband had been to Jamie's in Newcastle, this would have been just after it opened.

They finished their mains and waiter came to clear table and mentioned to them that as they'd just opened, Jamie was actually in the kitchen overseeing things and would they like to come and meet him?

They went into kitchen, met him, got pics with him etc. Went back to table. About 10 mins later, he comes out and sits at their table (they're last ones in restaurant)
He tells them to try his favourite wine - a bottle appears, 3 of them drink it. He leaves, they're on cloud nine, what an experience etc.

Bill arrives - £100 For a meet & greet and cost of wine (not cheap) have been added to bill.

They complained and after lengthy chat with manager, it was wiped from bill as they hadn't "ordered" it but we're invited to meet him and offered the wine.

I have always wanted this to be true but I've no way of knowing if my mam got spun a tall tale.

If anyone else has heard this, please shout up Haha!

Sounds like bullshit of the highest order

We went to his restaurant in Portsmouth about 18 months ago with some friends when we still lived down there, the pizza oven was broken and the décor was cheap, horrible and very noisy.

I am sorry for the staff and suppliers, but not for him and other owners who just try to use it to make money.

Only been twice. First experience ok, second so so. On the second my missus meal arrived and I could see, what I thought was mine, sat on the pass waiting to come to me. Eventually it arrived, but my now missus meal had gone cold. Explained we wanted to eat together not in shifts and sent both back, and paid for neither. If this was an independent this wouldn't have happened as they cannot throw 40 quids worth of business away. My experience, must be magnified by 1000's of others and shows how tough it is to ensure a consistent experience. Like it or loathe it I think pizza express do a good job at maintaining consistency.

No sympathy from me, he had all the money he could ever want and out of greed he wanted more by opening far too many sub par over priced restaurants.

Last edited:

Back