Jamie Oliver

Pompey did similar iirc.

As did leicester prior to winning the league, shocking.

I'm going to start by saying that I have absolutely no idea if this story is true, or if it's one of those "I know someone who..." urban legend stories that get regurgitated by Billy bullshitters.

But here goes...

My mam retired from teaching at hillview last summer.
One of the women she worked with told her that her and her husband had been to Jamie's in Newcastle, this would have been just after it opened.

They finished their mains and waiter came to clear table and mentioned to them that as they'd just opened, Jamie was actually in the kitchen overseeing things and would they like to come and meet him?

They went into kitchen, met him, got pics with him etc. Went back to table. About 10 mins later, he comes out and sits at their table (they're last ones in restaurant)
He tells them to try his favourite wine - a bottle appears, 3 of them drink it. He leaves, they're on cloud nine, what an experience etc.

Bill arrives - £100 For a meet & greet and cost of wine (not cheap) have been added to bill.

They complained and after lengthy chat with manager, it was wiped from bill as they hadn't "ordered" it but we're invited to meet him and offered the wine.

I have always wanted this to be true but I've no way of knowing if my mam got spun a tall tale.

If anyone else has heard this, please shout up Haha!

Exactly same happened to a hartlepool couple, this isnt bullshit imo (know the lad). He telt themto feck off too.

Last edited:
I think he's alright. He tried to do something to get kids to eat better. He's over expanded his restaurant business, he should have just had 5 or 6 high quality ones but got greedy.

I like the bloke, his series when he was trying to modernise school dinners and make them healthier was very good, you could see how passionate he was about trying to do the right thing.

Doesn’t seem to be the smartest bloke though, if you own restaurant chains it is probably not a good idea selling cook books and doing TV cookery shows which show people how to make decent food in 30 minutes.

Logon or register to see this image

I like the bloke but my one meal in his restaurant in Sydney was bang average and that was the consensus from others who had been there. It's a cutthroat industry in Sydney and you won't last long here on name alone.
The one on Pitt street?

The restaurant itself was designed by a mackem. As were some other Jamie Oliver places. Used to get on here too but not spotted for a few years.

We got an offer for 4 meals for a tenner each (main and pud) a few years ago and decided to treat our friends. Took ages to get served and we ended up drinking quite a few by the time we were served - so the ale bill cost us nearly twice what the food did. Was well miffed and have never been back...

Wish I was your mate.

On the other hand, he's sold out more times than Krusty the Clown. He's got his name on just about anything you can think of.

Doesn't like kids eating processed shite, but happy to provide a 'deli selection' for Shell.......

Jamie Oliver deli by Shell

Last edited:
I spotted two of his places in Nice airport a few weeks back. Perhaps he's expanded too rapidly, or maybe it's down to his involvement being little more than the use of his image and name. Shame for the staff and smaller creditors.

The one on Pitt street?

The restaurant itself was designed by a mackem. As were some other Jamie Oliver places. Used to get on here too but not spotted for a few years.
Yes on Pitt St. I was quite excited to go and in the end let down by the menu, the actual food and the service.

Back