I've lost my job - Career Advice please!

you need to claim benefits ASAP, they can process it in a few days if you push them. There is also loans if you have nothing, they are repayable but only when your benefit money comes through.

I've applied for Universal Credit but as Mrs K is still working - you have to apply as a couple believe it or not - I'm not sure I'll get much or anything

Would you be interested in Sales or Marketing? Your charity work must have given you skills that could easily be transferred to those areas.

I'm not ruling anything out!
Go to the press. Outrageous behaviour from a charitable organisation.

I've taken advice on this. I won't be doing that - as much as I'd really like to.
It could come back to bite me now and in future when applying for jobs etc.
Most annoying

Have declared everything and paid all my tax and NI. It's the way some of the companies I work for pay me. I'm a contractor working on a self employed basis but half of them pay me through the PAYE system. That means I'm not entitled to furlough as I'm a contractor not an employee but also I'm not allowed to claim on the self employed scheme as the money comes through PAYE not gross.
SPeak to your accountant or other adviser. This doesn’t sound right. Paye workers are employees for the purposes of the job retention scheme as I understand it.

Are there any accountants on here who may be able to advise?
Morning All,

I appreciate I'm not alone in this, but I've had a f***ing awful few weeks. Mrs K is also front line NHS so that's done our collective stress levels no good at all.
I received two pieces of mail the other day

One was my P45 - In a nutshell, I accepted a job at another hospice, I put in my resignation at my old job, the a global pandemic happened, and then the new hospice pulled the job.
As a result of all this I'm now unemployed, no furlough, no nowt.

The other was a letter from our GP telling me that as I'm immuno compromised and at risk of severe illness, I'm now on lockdown for at least 12 weeks.
I know I'm/we're not in the worst position, but you'll forgive me for being properly fucked off with my current situation.

However, this does present me with an opportunity - A potential change of career.
I have lots of transferable skills (so I'm told) but I'm not sure what else I could turn my hand to. Any (sensible - come on now) suggestions or ideas really would be welcome.
To say my mental health has taken something of a battering would be an understatement, so any help would be appreciated
Get your skills listed here and we can have a brainstorm for you. Realistically you are probably gonna have to work from home so anything that can be done remotely will be a start.

ARE you on LinkedIn? Am sure there’s an smb group on the go.

Last edited:
It's a shame you're on the 12 week lockdown (I'm the same) as that further limits your current options. My daughter got laid off from her design job but has picked up work with a 111 call centre and has a couple of interviews and a job pending at other design companies. Probably going to be difficult to get anything where everyone has been pushed to WFH. Would you be interested in Sales or Marketing? Your charity work must have given you skills that could easily be transferred to those areas.

Lots of CRM jobs working remotely in digital services e.g. Online gambling. Look at betting jobs.com

Honestly I have no idea what to look for if it's not charity. It's been suggested I have a look at Open University as it might give me some inspiration.

Have you heard of Future Learn? It's short taster courses from various universities and it's free. If you potter about on there, you might find something you enjoy and want to take further.

Have declared everything and paid all my tax and NI. It's the way some of the companies I work for pay me. I'm a contractor working on a self employed basis but half of them pay me through the PAYE system. That means I'm not entitled to furlough as I'm a contractor not an employee but also I'm not allowed to claim on the self employed scheme as the money comes through PAYE not gross.
:(

Get your skills listed here and we can have a brainstorm for you. Realistically you are probably gonna have to work from home so anything that can be done remotely will be a start.

At the minute as I'm entertaining a 2 years old working from home might not be that easy either, but I'll look into all options!

ARE you on LinkedIn? Am sure there’s an smb group on the go.

I set it up :lol:
Good point. But still disgusting from whoever has made decision. Costs them nothing.

Absolutely. I spoke to someone highly regarded in fundraising and he said it was awful behaviour from both parties.

Last edited:
Apparently your old employer can still furlough you if you ask them. It won't cost them anything & if you left on good terms they might do it for you
What’s the craic with after the furlough period? Can the firm just terminate employment or do they have to go through normal procedure?

Have you heard of Future Learn? It's short taster courses from various universities and it's free. If you potter about on there, you might find something you enjoy and want to take further.

I will investigate!

SPeak to your accountant or other adviser. This doesn’t sound right. Paye workers are employees for the purposes of the job retention scheme as I understand it.

Are there any accountants on here who may be able to advise?

I've challenged it but they are not playing ball. This is part of an email back to me:

Whilst we accept there are numerous sources of advice on the subject of Furlough, many of these are conflicting with advice we have as an employer from respected HR advisers.

Therefore, as our initial response below advises, we do not believe the basis on which we contract and engage Casual workers allows us to apply for the Furlough scheme.

This is because a lot of the confusion that has arisen does not address the fact that you are a worker and not an employee as detailed in the Government Guidance event though our tactical work is paid on a PAYE basis

Sorry to hear that mate. When there is so much chaos and misery like this there are also often opportunities.In the short-term the country is going to be short of delivery drivers for example - supermarkets but also stores that will need to adapt their business model to remain competitive (for example Wickes are creaming it with deliveries, B&Q are desperately trying to get going with deliveries - they had a Click & Collect service previously).

However since you are in permanent lock-down I realise that doesn’t help much. If I were you I’d be phoning companies to enquire how you might be able to help them WFH. The supermarkets are going to be cash rich currently and their PR is sky high but they still compete against each other. You could ask them if there is anything you could do from home because of your situation. You never know when you might speak to the right person on the right day.

Or if you have even modest IT skills you might want to contact to one of the big pharmaceutical companies of the smaller companies who offer the clinical trials. Many of them are going to all be all hands on deck as the world searches for a vaccine ASAP. If they are down on numbers and need more hands anyway then there may be some short-term contracting opportunities.

Anyway, those are the areas I’d be looking at if I was in your situation. Hats off to your missus - the keyworkers who are helping people through this are heroes. I hope you get sorted and both stay safe.

Last edited:

Back