I've lost my job - Career Advice please!

Keawyeds

Striker
Morning All,

I appreciate I'm not alone in this, but I've had a f***ing awful few weeks. Mrs K is also front line NHS so that's done our collective stress levels no good at all.
I received two pieces of mail the other day

One was my P45 - In a nutshell, I accepted a job at another hospice, I put in my resignation at my old job, the a global pandemic happened, and then the new hospice pulled the job.
As a result of all this I'm now unemployed, no furlough, no nowt.

The other was a letter from our GP telling me that as I'm immuno compromised and at risk of severe illness, I'm now on lockdown for at least 12 weeks.
I know I'm/we're not in the worst position, but you'll forgive me for being properly fucked off with my current situation.

However, this does present me with an opportunity - A potential change of career.
I have lots of transferable skills (so I'm told) but I'm not sure what else I could turn my hand to. Any (sensible - come on now) suggestions or ideas really would be welcome.
To say my mental health has taken something of a battering would be an understatement, so any help would be appreciated

Sorry to hear that. Real bad luck there.

Not sure what your transferable skills are but I know you worked in the Charity sector. Do you want to move away from office-based work?

Morning All,

I appreciate I'm not alone in this, but I've had a f***ing awful few weeks. Mrs K is also front line NHS so that's done our collective stress levels no good at all.

One was my P45 - In a nutshell, I accepted a job at another hospice, I put in my resignation at my old job, the a global pandemic happened, and then the new hospice pulled the job.

The other was a letter from our GP telling me that as I'm immuno compromised and at risk of severe illness, I'm now on lockdown for at least 12 weeks.
I know I'm/we're not in the worst position, but you'll forgive me for being properly fucked off with my current situation.

However, this does present me with an opportunity - A potential change of career.
I have lots of transferable skills (so I'm told) but I'm not sure what else I could turn my hand to. Any (sensible - come on now) suggestions or ideas really would be welcome.
To say my mental health has taken something of a battering would be an understatement, so any help would be appreciated
Best of luck with it marra. It’s a tough period but you’ll come out the other side stronger for it. I’m going through similar to you now.

Morning All,

See link above. Ask your previous employer to rehire & furlough you.

Morning All,

Silly question but seeing as you were still employed by them on the 29th of feb (presumably) can someone at your old health trust not furlough you till this is over?

Reading upovers looks like others have told you the same. Hope it all works out anyway

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Your health and your Mrs health is the most important thing though, take care

IIRC you've got a young kid? Enjoy some time with them and worry about the work later. I can't imagine many places beyond putting yourself further at risk are hiring at the moment.

Morning All,

Ask your old work to take you back on a furlough you. It costs them nowt.
Apparently your old employer can still furlough you if you ask them. It won't cost them anything & if you left on good terms they might do it for you
This
Sorry to hear that. I'm on 12 weeks immunocompromised lockdown with no wages or furlough too. It's really tough. Have a hug 😘

What sort of skills have you got?
You will get the self employed 80% unless you fiddled your taxes;):lol:

Last edited:
Morning All,

First things first look after yourself. See what government help is available. Ask the new hospice why you can't be furloughed for the duration. Look after your mental health - this too will pass. Lots of good advice on the stickied thread for how to do this.

Thinking about a change of career and seeing this as an opportunity is a fantastically positive way to respond so hold on to that, but don't rush. Get you short term finances sorted via govt help / furlough / whatever so you've got breathing space for proper slow thinking.

Sorry to hear that. Real bad luck there.

Not sure what your transferable skills are but I know you worked in the Charity sector. Do you want to move away from office-based work?

I'd be happy to do office-based again, but I'm open to ideas
Apparently your old employer can still furlough you if you ask them. It won't cost them anything & if you left on good terms they might do it for you

They could yes. The CEO refused. I'd been there over 5 years and brought in hundreds of thousands.

You will get the self employed 80% unless you fiddled your taxes;):lol:

Have declared everything and paid all my tax and NI. It's the way some of the companies I work for pay me. I'm a contractor working on a self employed basis but half of them pay me through the PAYE system. That means I'm not entitled to furlough as I'm a contractor not an employee but also I'm not allowed to claim on the self employed scheme as the money comes through PAYE not gross.

They could yes. The CEO refused. I'd been there over 5 years and brought in hundreds of thousands.
Sounds like a right twat. Sorry I put health trust before as I had it in my head you were a mental health pro. Is the hospice related to the charity by any chnce?

you need to claim benefits ASAP, they can process it in a few days if you push them. There is also loans if you have nothing, they are repayable but only when your benefit money comes through.
Surely not if a P45 was issued

yes even if the P45 was was issued your old employer can rehire to furlough you subject to dates etc. I’ve had to look into it for an ex employee.

Last edited:
IIRC you've got a young kid? Enjoy some time with them and worry about the work later. I can't imagine many places beyond putting yourself further at risk are hiring at the moment.

We do indeed. Mini-K is keeping me on my toes! Although currently she's watching Tee and Mo while I post on here.

To recap, my old employer could have put me back on the books and then furloughed me, but they chose not to. I spoke to a solicitor about this and they said while it's not really what should be done, it's not illegal. So that's great.

To answer @CatRyan and numerous others who have asked about my skills, I'm degree level educated and I've been in the charity sector since 2006.
I'm computer literate (obviously) and I've been using a CRM as well as Mailchimp etc.
Working in charity is a bit like working in sales I suspect. I'm good at writing and speaking to people either in person over the phone or even to large audiences.

As much as I like flying a desk, I like being outside too.
Honestly I have no idea what to look for if it's not charity. It's been suggested I have a look at Open University as it might give me some inspiration.
Sounds like a right twat. Sorry I put health trust before as I had it in my head you were a mental health pro. Is the hospice related to the charity by any chnce?

I worked for one hospice and was going for a job at another. The new one pulled the job and the old one refused to put me back on the books so I could get furlough.

I'm not bad the whole mental health thing having been through a chunk of it myself! Not sure I could be a counsellor though!

Last edited:
Have declared everything and paid all my tax and NI. It's the way some of the companies I work for pay me. I'm a contractor working on a self employed basis but half of them pay me through the PAYE system. That means I'm not entitled to furlough as I'm a contractor not an employee but also I'm not allowed to claim on the self employed scheme as the money comes through PAYE not gross.
Have a word with your accountant. (Or have a word with one)

It's a shame you're on the 12 week lockdown (I'm the same) as that further limits your current options. My daughter got laid off from her design job but has picked up work with a 111 call centre and has a couple of interviews and a job pending at other design companies. Probably going to be difficult to get anything where everyone has been pushed to WFH. Would you be interested in Sales or Marketing? Your charity work must have given you skills that could easily be transferred to those areas.

Back