I've lost my job - Career Advice please!

Sorry to hear that. I'm on 12 weeks immunocompromised lockdown with no wages or furlough too. It's really tough. Have a hug 😘

What sort of skills have you got?

Hi Becs, I know you’ve got Chron’s pet. I’ve got UC and severe COPD but am lucky to have a decent works pension. I have been recognised by Gov.uk and the NHS as extremely vulnerable and they have advised ASDA of this and they have offered me free bookable slots plus recurring slots. Have they offered you this scheme? At least you’re sure to get your groceries delivered. You don’t have to spend a limited amount for free delivery. Good luck love.

I'm not allowed out at all so not even a walk around the block. The bairn is off school and I've got one of my sons home from uni. They're allowed out but have to make sure they follow social distancing. They've only been out to walk the dogs and have kept away from people.

I'm supposed to keep away from them in the house and not share living spaces etc., but as they're not going anywhere where they are in contact with people, I haven't been following that strictly.

I've been put on the vulnerable list with supermarkets and supposedly get a priority at picking delivery slots for home delivery, but it's still awkward actually getting one. I could only get a click and collect one last week, so my Mam had to pick it up for me. She put the bags in the porch then left as I'm not allowed visitors in.

I'm scouring job sites looking for home working stuff. If I see anything, I'll pass it on 👍
Thanks Becs. I`m a Type 1 diabetic although I haven`t received a letter from the NHS I do know that I`m at a higher risk. I`m self isolating with my kids who came back from uni a few weeks ago. My son has been popping to the shops to get milk and stuff but Mrs B. thinks that is too risky so now a couple of my neighbours have dropped groceries round for us. She has gone to her mother`s to look after her after a knee replacement operation, as she didn`t want carers coming and going through her house which is sensible. We have a decent stock of stuff as both kids brought back a term and half`s worth of tins/loo roll etc so we`re OK for a few weeks. BUT I do take the dog for a walk with them just round the block late at night when no one is around although Mrs B. does her nut at that. I think that`s OK as we are no where near anyone and don`t touch anything while we`re out but Mrs B. thinks even that is too much.

Morning All,

I appreciate I'm not alone in this, but I've had a f***ing awful few weeks. Mrs K is also front line NHS so that's done our collective stress levels no good at all.
I received two pieces of mail the other day

One was my P45 - In a nutshell, I accepted a job at another hospice, I put in my resignation at my old job, the a global pandemic happened, and then the new hospice pulled the job.
As a result of all this I'm now unemployed, no furlough, no nowt.

The other was a letter from our GP telling me that as I'm immuno compromised and at risk of severe illness, I'm now on lockdown for at least 12 weeks.
I know I'm/we're not in the worst position, but you'll forgive me for being properly fucked off with my current situation.

However, this does present me with an opportunity - A potential change of career.
I have lots of transferable skills (so I'm told) but I'm not sure what else I could turn my hand to. Any (sensible - come on now) suggestions or ideas really would be welcome.
To say my mental health has taken something of a battering would be an understatement, so any help would be appreciated
Your old employer can take you back on just to get furlough. I am trying to get the same thing as I took redundancy and then the virus happened leaving me to struggle getting the jobs I wanted

Thanks Becs. I`m a Type 1 diabetic although I haven`t received a letter from the NHS I do know that I`m at a higher risk. I`m self isolating with my kids who came back from uni a few weeks ago. My son has been popping to the shops to get milk and stuff but Mrs B. thinks that is too risky so now a couple of my neighbours have dropped groceries round for us. She has gone to her mother`s to look after her after a knee replacement operation, as she didn`t want carers coming and going through her house which is sensible. We have a decent stock of stuff as both kids brought back a term and half`s worth of tins/loo roll etc so we`re OK for a few weeks. BUT I do take the dog for a walk with them just round the block late at night when no one is around although Mrs B. does her nut at that. I think that`s OK as we are no where near anyone and don`t touch anything while we`re out but Mrs B. thinks even that is too much.

This is what the letter says:

Logon or register to see this image

I've just had a letter from my MP with a copy of a letter he has sent to Rishi Sunak on my behalf to ask him to make it clear to these companies that they should be paying me furlough. Fingers crossed that works 🤞

I forgot to say, what really frustrates me, is that I wanted to go out and do the shopping for a few old people around where I live and for my mother-in-law and her neighbours but I can`t and I feel so bloody useless but also it fills me with admiration seeing all of those people putting themselves at risk for other people.
This is what the letter says:

Logon or register to see this image

I've just had a letter from my MP with a copy of a letter he has sent to Rishi Sunak on my behalf to ask him to make it clear to these companies that they should be paying me furlough. Fingers crossed that works 🤞
Thanks for this Becks. There`s some excellent advice on here and other posts too. Well done SMB :D

Last edited:
I forgot to say, what really frustrates me, is that I wanted to go out and do the shopping for a few old people around where I live and for my mother-in-law and her neighbours but I can`t and I feel so bloody useless but also it fills me with admiration seeing all of those people putting themselves at risk for other people.

Ditto and I know exactly how you feel. Look after yourself mate 😘

Morning All,

I appreciate I'm not alone in this, but I've had a f***ing awful few weeks. Mrs K is also front line NHS so that's done our collective stress levels no good at all.

One was my P45 - In a nutshell, I accepted a job at another hospice, I put in my resignation at my old job, the a global pandemic happened, and then the new hospice pulled the job.

The other was a letter from our GP telling me that as I'm immuno compromised and at risk of severe illness, I'm now on lockdown for at least 12 weeks.
I know I'm/we're not in the worst position, but you'll forgive me for being properly fucked off with my current situation.

However, this does present me with an opportunity - A potential change of career.
I have lots of transferable skills (so I'm told) but I'm not sure what else I could turn my hand to. Any (sensible - come on now) suggestions or ideas really would be welcome.
To say my mental health has taken something of a battering would be an understatement, so any help would be appreciated
Can't you call original job get them to furlough you. I know others that have done this

Getting money for stuff like a mortgage or rent is though.
I meant in comparison to life :confused:

I know money is important to many people and there will be hardship. We are talking about weeks though and his lass works. I would take a holiday on a mortgage or debt atm. Everyone is going to be worse off but we can catch up.

I'm taking 2 months off with the kids.

Sign up for an online TEFL course (Teaching English as a foreign language) and look for online classes through companies. Loads of demand with Chinese students and the timetables aren't that bad.

I did a TEFL 16 years ago which was only 50 hours and cost me about 150 quid. I've been teaching since then and have learnt plenty on the job and through training sessions and lectures. However, I recently signed up for a 150 hour accredited course through global EFL via Groupon. Cost about 30 quid and they give you 6 months to complete it. Normal price is about 200 quid and they give you a year to finish.

Very good. I'll give you that one.

It is when you have a hefty mortgage, chief :lol:

In all honesty it looks like as I'm under GPs orders I won't be even able to get a job until late June - unless it's something I could do from home and work around Mini-K
I do understand. My daughter and boyfriend both got finished at the same time just hours before the help was announced and they have a mortgage. It's going to be devastating financially for loads of people, but no one will be evicted because of this.

My wife's relative in her 80s has been in hospital for 3 weeks now very ill. Her uncle and family have all had it and we are in worrying times. I'm just saying it shows us what are really important.

Sign up for an online TEFL course (Teaching English as a foreign language) and look for online classes through companies. Loads of demand with Chinese students and the timetables aren't that bad.

I did a TEFL 16 years ago which was only 50 hours and cost me about 150 quid. I've been teaching since then and have learnt plenty on the job and through training sessions and lectures. However, I recently signed up for a 150 hour accredited course through global EFL via Groupon. Cost about 30 quid and they give you 6 months to complete it. Normal price is about 200 quid and they give you a year to finish.

now that is an excellent suggestion

Morning All,

That Martin from Moneysupermarket pressured the government to put something in place for exactly your position. There is an agreement that you can approach your old employer and request that the put you on furlough. I hope you didn't burn any bridges with them, but I'd imagine they have to agree to do it anyway. All the best with it.

That Martin from Moneysupermarket pressured the government to put something in place for exactly your position. There is an agreement that you can approach your old employer and request that the put you on furlough. I hope you didn't burn any bridges with them, but I'd imagine they have to agree to do it anyway. All the best with it.

He said they won’t. I’ve had it happen to another mate as well - employed at the end of Feb, she was made redundant in early March (after less than 6 months so entitled to no redundancy). She went back and asked them to furlough her and they said no.

Why would an employer refuse? And what does someone do when they are refused?

He said they won’t. I’ve had it happen to another mate as well - employed at the end of Feb, she was made redundant in early March (after less than 6 months so entitled to no redundancy). She went back and asked them to furlough her and they said no.

Why would an employer refuse? And what does someone do when they are refused?
I think because they are essentially re-employing them. It’s a small risk for the company (that this goes on for a lot longer, length of service is reached, not really sure) but it’s still a risk nevertheless at a time when businesses are becoming more and more risk averse.

I think because they are essentially re-employing them. It’s a small risk for the company (that this goes on for a lot longer, length of service is reached, not really sure) but it’s still a risk nevertheless at a time when businesses are becoming more and more risk averse.
There is no risk. Government website explicitly states it is allowed. @zwartekat should ring up his last employer and shame the fuckers into it.

you need to claim benefits ASAP, they can process it in a few days if you push them. There is also loans if you have nothing, they are repayable but only when your benefit money comes through.

yes even if the P45 was was issued your old employer can rehire to furlough you subject to dates etc. I’ve had to look into it for an ex employee.
He'll probably get fuck all though if his Mrs works full-time.

Back