It's almost St George's Day

HABA87

Striker
Might as well get this out of the way before the non-event.

Has anyone ever actually claimed it's racist apart from those who claim others have said as much?
I've never seen anyone claim it's racist apart from the righties frothing about nowt on FaceyGram.

It's a shame we don't have a drink as marketable as Guinness.

Enjoy whatever you're up to. I'll be doing about as much as I did for any other saints day in recent years.
Cheers.

Might as well get this out of the way before the non-event.

Has anyone ever actually claimed it's racist apart from those who claim others have said as much?
I've never seen anyone claim it's racist apart from the righties frothing about nowt on FaceyGram.

It's a shame we don't have a drink as marketable as Guinness.

Enjoy whatever you're up to. I'll be doing about as much as I did for any other saints day in recent years.
Cheers.

Not one person I've met of that persuasion can ever give a solid example or proof of anyone ever taking flags off people or painting it as racist.

Only thing remotely similar is people saying the flag stands for imperialism and let's face it, the Empire was a murderous beast.

The reason St. George’s Day is not a bank holiday is because big business are against it due to the cost to them, nothing to do with apparently offended Muslims who would probably enjoy the day off or double bubble as much as anyone. No doubt Facebook will suggest otherwise over the next week!

Precisely this.

I shall be having a few beers, probably London pride to remind me of the great days when our capital city was British

God forbid a capital city in Europe has non English people in it.

Last edited:
Not one person I've met of that persuasion can ever give a solid example or proof of anyone ever taking flags off people or painting it as racist.

Only thing remotely similar is people saying the flag stands for imperialism and let's face it, the Empire was a murderous beast.

Precisely this.

God forbid a capital city in Europe has non English people in it.
Aye and stab everyone in sight?

Do you have dementia?
What sort of a f***ing quote is that man ? Speak English or don’t bother

99% of the shit like that floating around social media is exactly that...shit.

Having said that, there is definitely an undercurrent of scorn towards outward displays of British and particularly English patriotism. I’m not ashamed of the Empire. I accept it for what it was, warts and all. I don’t pretend it was a completely benevolent entity dedicated to the advancement of the world, but neither was it a vicious, irredeemable, machine of death as many would have you believe.

From my perspective which is purely subjective there were dark times when the George Cross was appropriated by far right groups in the 70s and 80s. Football seemed like a thin veil for that sort of carry on.

Then it seemed that football started to reappropriate the George Cross for all the right reasons.
With the Japan world cup I think it was.

It felt in London then that when you saw a George cross it was for happy lovely reasons, for a change.

I think that St George's Day should be celebrated. There are many many things to celebrate.

Back