It’s time to get behind Chris Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
That didn't stop Jermain Defoe downing tools in February, 'cos let's be honest, he wasn't himself after that Palace game and England came calling.

Gibson obviously has his demons, but I don't see any other seasoned pros "showing complete and utter disregard and contempt". This rotten core nonsense is just that in my opinion. O'Shea and Cattermole haven't had great seasons by any stretch of the imagination but I've seen none of what you mention from either of them. The situation at West Brom has nothing to do with us at all.

Of course it’s all down to opinions but I think you’re being a little naive if you don’t think there are issues amongst them - Cattermole especially -there’s been too much smoke without a fire, for me anyway. Let’s not forget O’Shea was also one of the first to cry off to Byrne when PDC dared to set up a culture somewhat more befitting of a pro footballer as well (alright he might have gone about it the wrong way publically). Koné plays like he’s kicking a penny floater around with his son on the beach in his flip flops - compare that to some of his performances in the first few months here. That is down to attitude. We get firefighting performances in the final few weeks of a season when they realise either a) they might get a pay cut or b) they might be able to play for a move away. All of which is attitude and application. Some of these other clubs who are doing better on the same budget etc have players who battle and actually want to play for their clubs, haven’t been caught up in the riches of the Premier League and subsequently got above their stations. The will to win masks a lot of ability in football (outside the top leagues of course), something I haven’t seen in Sunderland sides for years barring the aforementioned final month of a season.

I don’t believe it’s all of them, I don’t think some of the younger lads are as disrespecitve - people like Gooch for example - I just worry they aren’t all that good.

I used West Brom as an example to again show it’s not as cut and dry as just the manager. Especially in our situation where time after time after time after time managers seemingly fail, despite having decent cv’s or going on to do decent jobs elsewhere, and all say there were/ are issues behind the scenes here. Coleman has a poor club record, he probably isn’t a particularly good manager but five month at our basket case of a club doesn’t decide that for me. Will take years to eradicate the problems we have.

Reactions: Nig

specially in our situation where time after time after time after time managers seemingly fail, despite having decent cv’s or going on to do decent jobs elsewhere,
Like who? Which of managers have gone on to do decent jobs elsewhere?

Of course it’s all down to opinions but I think you’re being a little naive if you don’t think there are issues amongst them - Cattermole especially -there’s been too much smoke without a fire, for me anyway. Let’s not forget O’Shea was also one of the first to cry off to Byrne when PDC dared to set up a culture somewhat more befitting of a pro footballer as well (alright he might have gone about it the wrong way publically). Koné plays like he’s kicking a penny floater around with his son on the beach in his flip flops - compare that to some of his performances in the first few months here. That is down to attitude. We get firefighting performances in the final few weeks of a season when they realise either a) they might get a pay cut or b) they might be able to play for a move away. All of which is attitude and application. Some of these other clubs who are doing better on the same budget etc have players who battle and actually want to play for their clubs, haven’t been caught up in the riches of the Premier League and subsequently got above their stations. The will to win masks a lot of ability in football (outside the top leagues of course), something I haven’t seen in Sunderland sides for years barring the aforementioned final month of a season.

I don’t believe it’s all of them, I don’t think some of the younger lads are as disrespecitve - people like Gooch for example - I just worry they aren’t all that good.

I used West Brom as an example to again show it’s not as cut and dry as just the manager. Especially in our situation where time after time after time after time managers seemingly fail, despite having decent cv’s or going on to do decent jobs elsewhere, and all say there were/ are issues behind the scenes here. Coleman has a poor club record, he probably isn’t a particularly good manager but five month at our basket case of a club doesn’t decide that for me. Will take years to eradicate the problems we have.
West Brom have had an awful managed in Pardew for most of the season as well though.

I'm not interested in that Di Canio nonsense. O'Shea and Cattermole have been putting the effort in, and so has Kone for that matter. I do get what your saying and can agree on some points, but I think too much is made of it all.

Grayson had next to fuck all to spend man but didn’t do enough with what he had. Jesus wept he paid the same for James Vaughan as we paid for Don Goodman 25 year ago!!!
Coleman didn’t improve any of our squad and actually managed to find a way to leave out our most productive player (McGeady) for a long spell.
Now as I’ve said I’d stick with him as id hope he learnt what he needs to do with squad if given a summer to put some sort of stamp on it. So far he’s been dreadful it’s as simple as that.

As pointed out Grayson had some didn't he and the wages to go with the likes of McGeady to take him off Everton for 250k? Coleman hasn't even had what Denis Smith had in 1987, nevermind spending as much on Vaughan as our record signing what smith paid in 1991.

As you cannot differentiate between having different levels of not much but being allowed to get players costing more or having nothing to spend and being allowed to even get a lesser, less proven type of loan signing in we're better off sticking to the fact that Grayson had some and Coleman didn't.

As pointed out Grayson had some didn't he and the wages to go with the likes of McGeady to take him off Everton for 250k? Coleman hasn't even had what Denis Smith had in 1987, nevermind spending as much on Vaughan as our record signing what smith paid in 1991.

As you cannot differentiate between having different levels of not much but being allowed to get players costing more or having nothing to spend and being allowed to even get a lesser, less proven type of loan signing in we're better off sticking to the fact that Grayson had some and Coleman didn't.
That fact can’t be disputed. It also can’t be disputed that Coleman has failed miserably as well. I’d just hope he has seen enough now to know what we need and what we need to try and move on to get back up. Can’t say I’m optimistic but I’d stick with and allow him the chance to turn it round.

Reactions: Nig
I’d stick with him as id hope he has identified what we need for next season from our squad which gives him a head start on anyone else but all this bollocks about hands being tied doesn’t wash mind. He’s been every bit as poor as Grayson. It’s his job to improve players and he hasn’t done it so far.

If it was any other team, I would agree with you...but after watching these shitbags perform on and off the pitch the last two years, Coleman gets the benefit of the doubt from me. He has to clear the decks...the losing mentality has to be stripped out of the club.

That fact can’t be disputed. It also can’t be disputed that Coleman has failed miserably as well. I’d just hope he has seen enough now to know what we need and what we need to try and move on to get back up. Can’t say I’m optimistic but I’d stick with and allow him the chance to turn it round.

Agree with that.
I'm disappointed obviously with our results performance etc but can't help but thinking the players share the blame albeit ultimately stemming from a very poorly run club from the top.
It was coming and once we hit free fall the cracks became apparent like a fookin dam wall.
I think Coleman should have thrown caution to the wind and adopted a more attacking style.
It's too late now but he has to go for it next season.
Struggling 8 to 12 games in won't be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back