Istanbul

This.

Went a few years back when the govt were having a crack down under the guise of football related trouble. For a while you could only buy one off tkts for the big three if you had a bank account with the bank who sponsored the league….so no corruption there then. We didn’t so couldn’t go to a game.
Massive place, biggest city in Europe apparently. The baldy fellers are very entertaining, walking round in groups with occasional dry blood trickles peeping out.
Im intrigued , tell me more :)

Welcome to Hell.

Seriously it’s amazing, incredible history and hugely populated.

Was taken around the City, even arrived at a restaurant by boat.
Only downside was in a meeting and a large earthquake. Everyone out in the carpark. Must have been serious as the locals were frightened.

Definitely somewhere I want to go. Looks like it oozes history and culture. Would try and catch a game if I could get tickets as well

Couldn't get a ticket for Beşiktaş but it was great fun hanging out in the bars around the stadium before a match. Amazing how every Turk you meet has a brother living in the UK.

Absolutely beautiful city. So much history and so much to see. Never felt unsafe.

Rome and Istanbul head and shoulders above any other city I've been to.

Absolutely beautiful city. So much history and so much to see. Never felt unsafe.

Rome and Istanbul head and shoulders above any other city I've been to.
Romes class , never been Turkey but do fancy Istanbul after reading this , always assumed ballache to get to and the city would be too big for a long weekend away

Romes class , never been Turkey but do fancy Istanbul after reading this , always assumed ballache to get to and the city would be too big for a long weekend away

Public transport is excellent. You can get a card, similar to Oyster, which covers you for all buses, metro, trams and ferries. The rail link to the new airport (IST) has recently opened which makes arrival and departure easier. When I went it was a bus or taxi ride and the traffic was insane.

It's a huge city so don't go expecting you will be able to see everything in a single short visit.

Last edited:
Got scammed there at the university near Suleiman's mosque. Shoe shine guy dropped his brush so being polite (and apparently naïve) I picked it up so he gave me a free shoe shine of my trainers:rolleyes:. Then he demanded about £20 for the worst shoe shine ever and promised to take me to the police if I didn't pay.
Gave him a fiver ish and walked off.

Friends of mine marched into the distance laughing, jokes on them though as I paid it out of our kitty:cool:

Where’s the nearest airport to fly direct?

Was in Marrakech for a night recently & wouldn’t mind taking owa lass back for a few nights, but it’ll from from Glasgow or Manchester which has put me off a bit.

Back