Istanbul

Went a year ago, stayed in the south part of the European part and it was quite expensive but very close to the Grand Bazaar and the main tourist area, Blue Mosque etc. Apparently staying in the north part is cheaper, more pubs etc. Enjoyed the few days there, had a great boat trip and the Roman sewer bit you can go down is well worth a visit. If there are long queues it is worth paying a bit more to one of the guys wandering around who basically takes you to the front of the queue

The most dangerous part will be the taxi tk and from the airport. It’s like being on a real life scalextrix.
This

I had to visit our Factory in Bursa so flew into Istanbul than taxi ride to the port for a ferry to Bursa . The driver spent more time looking back at me and talking than looking ahead .. all at what felt like 100 MPH :)

The most dangerous part will be the taxi tk and from the airport. It’s like being on a real life scalextrix.
I was there last July and can confirm this is indeed the case. Otherwise as said numerous times above its a great city and i would recommend a visit.

This.

Went a few years back when the govt were having a crack down under the guise of football related trouble. For a while you could only buy one off tkts for the big three if you had a bank account with the bank who sponsored the league….so no corruption there then. We didn’t so couldn’t go to a game.
Massive place, biggest city in Europe apparently. The baldy fellers are very entertaining, walking round in groups with occasional dry blood trickles peeping out.

It's class, safe, huge, confusing.

Love it.

Food is hugely underrated as well.

Food is amazing. Almost never have kebabs in the UK but proper Turkish ones are incredible. The Turkish pizza, "pide" are great

I went for Christmas 2019 (my last holiday before Covid). As as a non-Christian country Dec 25 was just a normal day and I had a great time but really want to go back in the summer

Definitely get the ferry over to the Asian side which is a lot different and less touristy.

It's absolutely mint. You can go for a night out on the Asian side and then get an Uber speedboat back to the European side.

Food is fantastic and cheap. Loads to do and see. Safe unless you're in the PKK.

Don't go now though, it's absolutely freezing.

Back