Islam Homework project at Sunderland School

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not.

They have to write imagining all sorts of stuff at school. My youngest recently wrote a letter pretending she was a WWII evacuee child writing to her parents. They've done other stuff imagining they are living in different countries or time periods etc. The Dad here is just jumping on the Islam theme and using it to stir hatred. That's wrong.

She pretended to be a WWII evacuee to put herself in the shoes of such. My mum happened to be a WWII evacuee who lived outside Carlisle for the duration of the war and they were the happiest days of her life amazingly. This is a historical even and I get that. As such, it's a good, sound idea.

I can imagine being in the boots of another culture, of a person from elsewhere on the planet, for example an Ethiopian girl who can't get an education because she has to spend hours each day fetching money for her family.

However, to me, asking a child to pretend they are changing their faith and therefore their believe system is not the best of ideas. Children are impressionable at the best of time. Place them in the boots of a child elsewhere in the world or in a different time is good to help understanding - these are good exercises if managed right. However, my concern is going beyond the point of promoting understanding and actually influencing mindsets in a young child albeit unintentional.

I have no problems in an adult making an informed decision and deciding to adopt a new faith. I myself took an interest in Buddhism, however, found myself having issues with practice and ceremony not having a practical influence on society in general.

I'll take another angle, demonstrating perhaps a divide between faiths and a teacher friend has said, despite being Labour that Islam is a "special case" when it comes to breaking down barriers. How do you think some Muslim families would react if one of their children wrote a letter saying they were converting to another faith? This would have to be handled with kid gloves as Islam has very strong guidelines when it comes to apostasy (i.e. renouncing Islam). Whilst at most in the UK, this would engender community anger, I can imagine in other parts of the conservative Islamic world an apostate would face potential execution.

A better approach to me is to invite religious leaders into a school and explain their faith in simple terms to children; what they believe, their practices and their views in creating good relations with other religious groups. The children will then talk among themselves and with their classmates about their differences, thus breaking down the barriers between them.

I just don't want to see a child or other vulnerable person inadvertently and passively coerced down a path when they should only make such decisions as adults.

And I the same, but only because that religion it's followers and leaders weren't as controlling or as strict as Islam it simply isn't a democratic religion and Iv'e known muslim friends to be called on and marched to the local mosque if they didn't turn up (and that's within Sunderland)
Its not it's.

She pretended to be a WWII evacuee to put herself in the shoes of such. My mum happened to be a WWII evacuee who lived outside Carlisle for the duration of the war and they were the happiest days of her life amazingly. This is a historical even and I get that. As such, it's a good, sound idea.

I can imagine being in the boots of another culture, of a person from elsewhere on the planet, for example an Ethiopian girl who can't get an education because she has to spend hours each day fetching money for her family.

However, to me, asking a child to pretend they are changing their faith and therefore their believe system is not the best of ideas. Children are impressionable at the best of time. Place them in the boots of a child elsewhere in the world or in a different time is good to help understanding - these are good exercises if managed right. However, my concern is going beyond the point of promoting understanding and actually influencing mindsets in a young child albeit unintentional.

I have no problems in an adult making an informed decision and deciding to adopt a new faith. I myself took an interest in Buddhism, however, found myself having issues with practice and ceremony not having a practical influence on society in general.

I'll take another angle, demonstrating perhaps a divide between faiths and a teacher friend has said, despite being Labour that Islam is a "special case" when it comes to breaking down barriers. How do you think some Muslim families would react if one of their children wrote a letter saying they were converting to another faith? This would have to be handled with kid gloves as Islam has very strong guidelines when it comes to apostasy (i.e. renouncing Islam). Whilst at most in the UK, this would engender community anger, I can imagine in other parts of the conservative Islamic world an apostate would face potential execution.

A better approach to me is to invite religious leaders into a school and explain their faith in simple terms to children; what they believe, their practices and their views in creating good relations with other religious groups. The children will then talk among themselves and with their classmates about their differences, thus breaking down the barriers between them.

I just don't want to see a child or other vulnerable person inadvertently and passively coerced down a path when they should only make such decisions as adults.
You posted this at 2.15am??? Get to bed man!

Last edited:
Ah to be honest mate we are getting a bit deep into this. I'm actually inclined to agree with what you are saying but I don't think it's a big enough issue (at least not for me) to go demanding schools change.

My issue was with the guy who thinks the rational option is to force his local school to drop religion for the sake of his child. I see it as totally unreasonable behaviour.

Fair dos mate but I wasn't drawing any comparisons to Islam. In truth I know very little about it.

Angry Moses
Flappy Jesus
God Crosses the Road (isn't cross the road a game?)

I think you’re on to some winners here mind, get them set up, imagine how much you would make

Ah to be honest mate we are getting a bit deep into this. I'm actually inclined to agree with what you are saying but I don't think it's a big enough issue (at least not for me) to go demanding schools change.

My issue was with the guy who thinks the rational option is to force his local school to drop religion for the sake of his child. I see it as totally unreasonable behaviour.

Fair dos mate but I wasn't drawing any comparisons to Islam. In truth I know very little about it.

Angry Moses
Flappy Jesus
God Crosses the Road (isn't cross the road a game?)
But what the school is doing is very wrong, brainwashing kids at tax payers expense. Yes they should change the belief system at the school.

I fail to see the difference to be honest. Write a letter pretending you want to convert to Islam is just the same as write a letter pretending to be something else. It's not brainwashing. I really don't think any of the children are going to write the letter and rush off down the mosque to sign up. It's just an exercise in getting children to understand different faiths.

Mine have all gone through Catholic school but none of us are Catholic. I was baptised into a non-denominational Christian Church and attended as a child but I'm not a member of a Church now. None of my children are baptised into any faith and I've left the decision up to them to make as adults. The elder two haven't bothered with it and are not interested in joining a Church, while the youngest is still too young to make her mind up. Even though they've participated in many Catholic masses and other services as children, they've decided it's not for them. This is why I don't think writing one single letter about Islam will brainwash children into joining up.

Some teachers on here have seemingly attempted to explain the purpose of the homework.
For those who are still vehemently against it, what do you believe the purpose of the homework was and why do you think the school/national curriculum has this in place?

I fail to see the difference to be honest. Write a letter pretending you want to convert to Islam is just the same as write a letter pretending to be something else. It's not brainwashing. I really don't think any of the children are going to write the letter and rush off down the mosque to sign up. It's just an exercise in getting children to understand different faiths.

Mine have all gone through Catholic school but none of us are Catholic. I was baptised into a non-denominational Christian Church and attended as a child but I'm not a member of a Church now. None of my children are baptised into any faith and I've left the decision up to them to make as adults. The elder two haven't bothered with it and are not interested in joining a Church, while the youngest is still too young to make her mind up. Even though they've participated in many Catholic masses and other services as children, they've decided it's not for them. This is why I don't think writing one single letter about Islam will brainwash children into joining up.
Well said. Can't fault that.

So your argument is that you grew up in a fucked up system and and you don't think you are any the worse for if ?
Not at all. I got a good education. I don't believe it was a fucked up system.

I didn't want to spend four hours a week learning about ancient Greece at school in history lessons. All about the Gods and the fables etc. It's not true is it mate? No I don't think it is. The minotaur story, something I've remembered ever since and a question I got asked when I was on a famous TV quiz show!

I suppose you want that removing from the curriculum as well then do you? In fact anything that is scientifically unverifiable you would like removing based on your rationale?

What a world we would live in if we applied your rules to everything.

But what the school is doing is very wrong, brainwashing kids at tax payers expense. Yes they should change the belief system at the school.
Come on mate it's not brainwashing man. Did you not have to sing hymns at school just like about 99% of the population has done for the last 100 years in this country?

Kids are at school to be taught. Being taught is a form of brainwashing going by your standards. Being told to believe anything is that.

Anyway back to my original point. You literally want the convenience of sending your child to the closest school even though you have the choice of other schools further afield that will suit your requirements. You want convenience through laziness and then want to change an entire school to suit your beliefs. What about everyone else? What about their beliefs?

Crazy idea here, what if you're wrong about God? There are people out there who will be far more convinced God exists than you are convinced he doesn't. Think about that for a second. Put yourself in their shoes. Be reasonable and be tolerant of others and their beliefs and their needs.

Last edited:
Crazy idea here, what if you're wrong about God?
What if we are wrong? If we are, he's a complete (unt anyway and I for one wouldn't be kissing his arse. I'll take my chances with the devil, he seems a bit more tolerant and less likely to commit genocide etc.

Crazy idea here, what if you're wrong about God? There are people out there who will be far more convinced God exists than you are convinced he doesn't. Think about that for a second.
Yes, and when one of them can present a valid and sound argument supported by sufficient evidence, then what the believe will be warranted. The fact that people are convinced of something is irrelevant, because can and are convinced of all sorts of things for terrible, irrational reasons.

Not at all. I got a good education. I don't believe it was a fucked up system.

I didn't want to spend four hours a week learning about ancient Greece at school in history lessons. All about the Gods and the fables etc. It's not true is it mate? No I don't think it is. The minotaur story, something I've remembered ever since and a question I got asked when I was on a famous TV quiz show!

I suppose you want that removing from the curriculum as well then do you? In fact anything that is scientifically unverifiable you would like removing based on your rationale?

What a world we would live in if we applied your rules to everything.

Come on mate it's not brainwashing man. Did you not have to sing hymns at school just like about 99% of the population has done for the last 100 years in this country?

Kids are at school to be taught. Being taught is a form of brainwashing going by your standards. Being told to believe anything is that.

Anyway back to my original point. You literally want the convenience of sending your child to the closest school even though you have the choice of other schools further afield that will suit your requirements. You want convenience through laziness and then want to change an entire school to suit your beliefs. What about everyone else? What about their beliefs?

Crazy idea here, what if you're wrong about God? There are people out there who will be far more convinced God exists than you are convinced he doesn't. Think about that for a second. Put yourself in their shoes. Be reasonable and be tolerant of others and their beliefs and their needs.

He wants his child educated not indoctrinated.He should be able to send his kid to the nearest school as there should be no religion involved, it's madness that we have certain schools that are certain religions.

It's not even about whether god is real or not, people can believe whatever they like, but school should be a place for education only. If you want to bring your child up religiously take them to church.

He wants his child educated not indoctrinated.He should be able to send his kid to the nearest school as there should be no religion involved, it's madness that we have certain schools that are certain religions.

It's not even about whether god is real or not, people can believe whatever they like, but school should be a place for education only. If you want to bring your child up religiously take them to church.
But it's upto the school to decide what is taught, not the parents. That's what he gets for sending his kid to a Christian school. Why is this so hard to understand?

I'm an atheist for the record mate and agree with the above. My point is there are religious schools and non-religious schools. Sending your child to the nearest one because it is convenient only to then try and change the ENTIRE SCHOOL for your little cherub is selfish and intolerant of everyone else.

There may be people living 10 miles away from the poster I was speaking to who are staunch Christians so have specifically sent their child to that CofE school. For them to be denied getting the education they want for their child because some nimby wants his child educated to his precise requirements and fuck everyone else is a repugnant set of circumstances.

I also agree with all of this :lol:
Good post mux lad.

Reactions: mux
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back