Islam Homework project at Sunderland School

I look forward to having potential moments like this with my kid (wife is pregnant). These are really, teachable moments and you can instill a sense of skepticism into the child so that they don't have to worry too much. It would still annoy me a bit that somebody has upset my child in that way, but you can use that experience to actually push back. If he thinks god made the world, how does he know that? I would just lead him through the process of investigation. I'm not remotely telling you how to raise your child btw! :D Just what I'd (attempt to) do.
Best of luck with your impending arrival.

To be fair, my son has came out of it stronger and challenges anyone who tells him god is real with some impressive arguments.

Baffles me that the question of is god real is still debated.

The point I'm making is some kids are more malleable or psychologically vulnerable than others and whilst they're not going to run off down the temple, mosque, church, synagogue or gurwada, the idea may be inadvertently planted.
Tbf it would be more likely that during such classroom discussions a teacher could pick up on possible extremist views from all sides. If the teacher is at all competent that is, imo.

It is brainwashing, my son came home really confused and upset when the local priest had been in and told them all God made the world. He asked me why I had be telling him lies. He eventually calmed down but has had other kids telling him he will die of he doesn’t believe it god.
Again, a decent argument for religious education in some form so you can put clear up such confusion and maybe even threaten the local priest with going to the local paper if he doesn't pipe down.

To be fair, my son has came out of it stronger and challenges anyone who tells him god is real with some impressive arguments.

So it's likely made your kid smarter, less ignorant and able to challenge views he does not agree with.

You've just stated it's been beneficial for your kid. Why would you want to take something beneficial away?

We'll all find out eventually.

My son came home from primary school one day and announced that Allah was a kind of god who looked after things when God was on holiday. Not quite sure he was totally paying attention that day.

(Richard Avenue too, of all places)

My son came home from primary school one day and announced that Allah was a kind of god who looked after things when God was on holiday. Not quite sure he was totally paying attention that day.

Religious studies was always a good lesson for a bit kip when you were bored at school. :)

I always thought how about doing something that would be of interest, like watching the head girl's over coiffed, over permed, over lacquered hair catch fire in the Bunsen burner in Chemistry (think 80s big hair).

I promise I was no where near. :oops:

Used to get my School dinners there before the school was built.Never used butter in the mashed potatoes.Not good.

Kids should learn about all religions (including religion in pre Christian Europe, which is severely lacking in UK schools btw) but in a objective way.....not by writing a letter pretending you are converting to Islam ffs
Kids shouldn’t be taught about any religion, it’s ludicrous that we infect young peoples impressionable brains with what amounts to fairy tales.

Because there is a possibility that there could be a creator. Science can never rule it out.

I'm agnostic btw and I will never have a go at anyone who wants to believe. My son is attending a CoE primary school. I've had a few interesting conversations so far to say the least. WE CHOSE to send him to this school. There are other options in most cases if people feel that strongly. I guess most people couldn't give a shit as long as the school has a good ofsted report.

Kids shouldn’t be taught about any religion, it’s ludicrous that we infect young peoples impressionable brains with what amounts to fairy tales.

But satanic shite like Disney is fine though yeah? Yes I appreciate they don't watch them in school. Just saying that manipulation goes on in every walk of life. School is no different. Do you think our whole education system is up to scratch? There's plenty of stuff we need to change about its structure. Booting Religion out isnt high on my list.

Last edited:
Because there is a possibility that there could be a creator. Science can never rule it out.

I'm agnostic btw and I will never have a go at anyone who wants to believe. My son is attending a CoE primary school. I've had a few interesting conversations so far to say the least. WE CHOSE to send him to this school. There are other options in most cases if people feel that strongly. I guess most people couldn't give a shit as long as the school has a good ofsted report.

But satanic shite like Disney is fine though yeah? Yes I appreciate they don't watch them in school. Just saying that manipulation goes on in every walk of life. School is no different. Do you think our whole education system is up to scratch? There's plenty of stuff we need to change about its structure. Booting Religion out isnt high on my list.

Maybe creator(s) of sorts, but not some omnipotent all seeing magical being.

1..Because there is a possibility that there could be a creator. 2. Science can never rule it out.
1. How do you it is possible? I don't know whether it is possible or not.

2. How do you know that? You'd have to be omniscient to know that. If it turns out one day that science can investigate origins fully, and discover that we are part of an infinite, multiverse (which we can't currently investigate, as all the maths breaks down at the Planck Time) then we could hypothetically rule disprove a 'creator'. It depends what you mean by creator, I guess, as well.

WTF? :lol:

About time they took all religion out of the curriculum completely, there's just no place for it in modern society and is just a waste of education time, kids are there to learn not to be brainwashed.
Be even better if it could be removed from all of our lives.

1. How do you it is possible? I don't know whether it is possible or not.

2. How do you know that? You'd have to be omniscient to know that. If it turns out one day that science can investigate origins fully, and discover that we are part of an infinite, multiverse (which we can't currently investigate, as all the maths breaks down at the Planck Time) then we could hypothetically rule disprove a 'creator'. It depends what you mean by creator, I guess, as well.

1 + 2. Right mate. Unfortunately we may never have the scientific technological capability of determining whether God is real or not. Evidence does not suggest one way or another. Imo it never will, we will never have a full understanding of everything, there will always be a gap. The gap that will always be exploited by the god botherers. But even if and its a BIG IF we do learn everything, there will be still so many questions that still need answering e.g How the fuck are our fundamental constants so so so so finely tuned? Chance? So that leaves me on the fence (agnostic). One side is random chance (infinite multiverse) and the other is fine tuning (not the white bearded fella, well maybe but not exclusive, it could be a far advanced alien civilization tinkering with the cosmos or summat). If you're sitting on the fence which side of the fence will you let you're feet dangle. I dangle them on the creator side as it costs me nowt. Why believe in nothing when you easily with no harm to yourself and other believe in summat?

1 + 2. Right mate. Unfortunately we may never have the scientific technological capability of determining whether God is real or not. Evidence does not suggest one way or another. Imo it never will, we will never have a full understanding of everything, there will always be a gap. The gap that will always be exploited by the god botherers. But even if and its a BIG IF we do learn everything, there will be still so many questions that still need answering e.g How the fuck are our fundamental constants so so so so finely tuned? Chance? So that leaves me on the fence (agnostic). One side is random chance (infinite multiverse) and the other is fine tuning (not the white bearded fella, well maybe but not exclusive, it could be a far advanced alien civilization tinkering with the cosmos or summat). If you're sitting on the fence which side of the fence will you let you're feet dangle. I dangle them on the creator side as it costs me nowt. Why believe in nothing when you easily with no harm to yourself and other believe in summat?
You appear to be arguing for Deism. Is that correct? Or do you think an interventionist god is called for?

Back