Is this the golden era of Gaming?

Modern gaming is shite, just like films everything has been done to death, only difference now is the graphics are getting better and better. Most games are huge and sometimes you can't just play it without a massive update,log on this authenticate that. Once you get them on they just the same game as the 100 others

Don’t agree with that, mind.

Like every era you have a a big proportion of people doing safe stuff and copying each other. Plenty of good stuff out there, however, and still early in the generation imo.

Absolutely not. They don’t make “classics” anymore.

I get you need to move with the times but there’s far too much focus on multiplayer, online shite these days.
What happened to the story telling, immersive game.

You’ll not get another game like Metal Gear Solid or The Last of Us.

Closest thing we’ve had is RDR2, which I was worried they’d concentrate on online play. Turned out to be an epic.
No, it's nowhere near the golden era.

That was reserved for either 1998 or 2007

1998:
Half Life
Zelda
Metal Gear Solid
Baldur's Gate
Starcraft
Crash Bandicoot 3
Resident Evil 2
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo
Spyro The Dragon

2007:
Halo 3
Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
Portal
Super Mario Galaxy
God of War 2
Team Fortress 2
Mass Effect
Uncharted
Assassins Creed

Both years blow now out the water.
This man nars

Last edited:
Absolutely not. They don’t make “classics” anymore.

I get you need to move with the times but there’s far too much focus on multiplayer, online shite these days.
What happened to the story telling, immersive game.

You’ll not get another game like Metal Gear Solid or The Last of Us.

Closest thing we’ve had is RDR2, which I was worried they’d concentrate on online play. Turned out to be an epic.

This man nars

Totally agreed, one thing I can't stand is the obsession with open world games. Like I understand they have their place but when your playing something like Halo which is meant to be a story focused game, it's just not fun having to go round taking over a base or finding a beacon. It's just a cheap way to make a game longer and it's not the only game either.

Two things MGS 1 - 4 (let's ignore 5) and The Last of Us nailed.

Microsoft's purchase for Activision Blizzard was finally completed on Friday.

Expect alot of A+++ releases going straight onto GamePass. Although I think they'll significantly bump the prices up. Paying 2-3 months of GamePass will be alot better than outright buying a game.

For me the 97-2004 period was the golden era with a few good years afterwards. 1998 in particular was absolutely unreal. The games coming out then we're doing things which had never been done before and laid the foundations for the modern industry.

Also agree with above - open world has been done to death and hides a multitude of sins in modern games. A tight linear game is far more difficult to pull off.

I actually binned my direct debit subscription to gamepass. I can get a three month voucher for a tenner from curries, as opposed to paying £14.99 a month direct debit. Microsoft take the piss.

Loving the new FiFA and Forza at present, got some others lined up, but it find it impossible to complete games when there's so many lined up to choose from. By the time I've finished forza, some of the others I fancy will be cheaper or out on gamepass.

Back