Is this the golden era of Gaming?

I've never seen so many highly anticipated releases or high reviews in such a short amount of time, take away the annual games which don't count you've got including games coming out on the next 6 months.

Baldurs Gate 3
Starfield
New Mortal Kombat is very highly rated
Cities Skyline 2
FF14 going full single player
FF7 Rebirth
Total War Pharoah
New Cyberpunk game
New Forza Motorsport

How does 1 person fit in the time to play all these super hot releases :D
Stay single

I'd say it's the opposite. Most of the best developers have been bought up by microsoft and sony, meaning no individuality and corporate shinanigans. Games keep being released unfinished, glitchy and don't live up to the hype. They are increasingly pay to win or multiplayer focused to maximise profits. Individual game developers seem to be predominantly far-left and let their ideology effect games negatively, the next GTA will be a huge example of this. From the leaks we can already see they've removed stuff like 'offensive' ingame company names and so-called transphobic jokes and the new lead developer has said they have removed the 'fratboy culture' at R* (AKA the devs who made the most successful franchise ever) meaning it will be more inclusive. So we'll see a GTA without it's trademark, razor sharp whit, and social commentary and instead have a serious, tepid, bore of a game. The last of the original crew of the houser brothers and benzies have been let go for some humourless, perpetually offended, professional victims, who refuse to work the overtime they agreed to in their employment contracts or come into the office (hence the leaks).

I'd say it's the opposite. Most of the best developers have been bought up by microsoft and sony, meaning no individuality and corporate shinanigans. Games keep being released unfinished, glitchy and don't live up to the hype. They are increasingly pay to win or multiplayer focused to maximise profits. Individual game developers seem to be predominantly far-left and let their ideology effect games negatively, the next GTA will be a huge example of this. From the leaks we can already see they've removed stuff like 'offensive' ingame company names and so-called transphobic jokes and the new lead developer has said they have removed the 'fratboy culture' at R* (AKA the devs who made the most successful franchise ever) meaning it will be more inclusive. So we'll see a GTA without it's trademark, razor sharp whit, and social commentary and instead have a serious, tepid, bore of a game. The last of the original crew of the houser brothers and benzies have been let go for some humourless, perpetually offended, professional victims, who refuse to work the overtime they agreed to in their employment contracts or come into the office (hence the leaks).

What has any of this got to do with the games recently released and upcoming releases?

This post feels like a drunken 2am rant than anything else. Some bonkers posts talking about Commodore 64's and games which won't be released for another half a decade.
It's pretty evident people don't know how fortunate the gaming scene is right now. FF14 took me about 9 months to complete, Cities Skyline if anything like the 1st one will eat another few months off, then we've only touched 2 out the list, there is literally zero reason to be not sure what to play for the next 18 months alone.
The dark horse of the list is Total War Pharaoh, if they release anything like Warhammer but in a proper Total War setting it might finally take over Shogun 2 as the most popular of the series and that game was released in 2011, that's how good that game was.

Last edited:
You sound fun.

Gaming has always had periods when there seems to be shed loads of really good/highly anticipated games on the horizon.

This generation of console seemed to have a slow start. Feels like it's only this year that it's really got going with lots of great games.

I think the previous gen was similar. Lots of hype around the console and what opening day releases it'll have followed by a long period of the odd game then once developers have gotten the hang of the system a great period of games.

No, it's nowhere near the golden era.

That was reserved for either 1998 or 2007

1998:
Half Life
Zelda
Metal Gear Solid
Baldur's Gate
Starcraft
Crash Bandicoot 3
Resident Evil 2
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo
Spyro The Dragon

2007:
Halo 3
Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
Portal
Super Mario Galaxy
God of War 2
Team Fortress 2
Mass Effect
Uncharted
Assassins Creed

Both years blow now out the water.

Last edited:
Some absolutely amazing games.

I’ve massively fell out with gaming. Used to play quite a lot but not can’t be arsed at all. Starfield looks amazing but I struggle to sink any time in before I’m bored.

I much prefer watching a film or reading a book now - might be to do with having a small child which limits how much time I can’t put into it :lol:

No, it's nowhere near the golden era.

That was reserved for either 1998 or 2007

1998:
Half Life
Zelda
Metal Gear Solid
Baldur's Gate
Starcraft
Crash Bandicoot 3
Resident Evil 2
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo
Spyro The Dragon

2007:
Halo 3
Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
Portal
Super Mario Galaxy
God of War 2
Team Fortress 2
Mass Effect
Uncharted
Assassins Creed

Both years blow now out the water.

You can have multiple golden era's you know. It's not a singular time period.

Agreed about 1998 however, you missed Goldeneye64 off the list, how the fuck did you miss that one out :D

You can have multiple golden era's you know. It's not a singular time period.

Agreed about 1998 however, you missed Goldeneye64 off the list, how the fuck did you miss that one out :D

97 Goldeneye like. Just mind.

Don't even think it's that good me, but I'm a FPS fan and it's absolutely riddled with microtransactions and people dancing around in superhero costumes. Hate gaming in recent years tbh.

Suppose it is all very subjective and dependent on a bunch of environmental factors. I’m in my thirties now and barely get time to eat at the minute, so don’t have the disposable time to really get in storylines etc on games. My golden era was the late 90s and getting my N64, at the time I was really blown away. Goldeneye will forever be my favourite game, I darent try guess the hours wasted playing split screen, completing the missions and pissing about with the cheat codes. I bought a Nintendo switch a while back, but keep finding myself googling when they’re going to port my favourite titles over to it rather than trying new stuff.

I do fancy a PS5 mind, just to blast CoD online every now and then and to try the new Gran Turismo.

97 Goldeneye like. Just mind.

Don't even think it's that good me, but I'm a FPS fan and it's absolutely riddled with microtransactions and people dancing around in superhero costumes. Hate gaming in recent years tbh.

The games I've listed some are in 2024, it's a 6-12 month period, Goldeneye came out in November 97 so yeah it would come under the 98 category :)

FPS console games haven't been the same since Modern Warfare 2, there's Counter Strike 2 and Valorant if you're a PC gamer.

Suppose it is all very subjective and dependent on a bunch of environmental factors. I’m in my thirties now and barely get time to eat at the minute, so don’t have the disposable time to really get in storylines etc on games. My golden era was the late 90s and getting my N64, at the time I was really blown away. Goldeneye will forever be my favourite game, I darent try guess the hours wasted playing split screen, completing the missions and pissing about with the cheat codes. I bought a Nintendo switch a while back, but keep finding myself googling when they’re going to port my favourite titles over to it rather than trying new stuff.

I do fancy a PS5 mind, just to blast CoD online every now and then and to try the new Gran Turismo.

Switch have released some bangers tbf. Super Smash Brothers or Zelda being the ultimate titles but anything under the Mario umbrella will get you addicted, new Mortal Kombat which is very highly rated has a Switch port

I've never seen so many highly anticipated releases or high reviews in such a short amount of time, take away the annual games which don't count you've got including games coming out on the next 6 months.

Baldurs Gate 3
Starfield
New Mortal Kombat is very highly rated
Cities Skyline 2
FF14 going full single player
FF7 Rebirth
Total War Pharoah
New Cyberpunk game
New Forza Motorsport

How does 1 person fit in the time to play all these super hot releases :D
Possibly or it might end up being the end of of the golden age.

We're starting to see a shift to loads of remakes and endless sequels, lack of creativity and it'll probably get lazier as it becomes easier to just rely on old IPs to sell big than doing something new.

Also so far it's mainly been able to avoid all the pitfalls other media has had with all the 'woke' stuff but it's coming.

Might be the last big hurrah for it as still plenty good stuff coming out but feel like a drop off from the last gen.

I'd still argue PS1 is the stand out era as all the best games came out then imo.

Modern gaming is shite, just like films everything has been done to death, only difference now is the graphics are getting better and better. Most games are huge and sometimes you can't just play it without a massive update,log on this authenticate that. Once you get them on they just the same game as the 100 others

I loved the Spectrum/Amiga era- that was my first golden age.
My second was when I rediscovered gaming around 2007 and the HD era. XBox 360 and friends lists/achievements. Loved it all.
I am going to assume we are pretty much the same age as that could have been written by me

Spectrum in the late 80's, onto Amiga in the 90's, then came girls, cheap beer and trying to look cool, then chilled out a bit in my 20's, bought an Xbox 360 around mid 00's after a few years of no gaming and couldn't believe what was on offer! :lol:

(I also packed that away the day my daughter was born as I was so worried about not being a good dad and I didn't switch it back on for around 5 years or so)

I am going to assume we are pretty much the same age as that could have been written by me

Spectrum in the late 80's, onto Amiga in the 90's, then came girls, cheap beer and trying to look cool, then chilled out a bit in my 20's, bought an Xbox 360 around mid 00's after a few years of no gaming and couldn't believe what was on offer! :lol:

(I also packed that away the day my daughter was born as I was so worried about not being a good dad and I didn't switch it back on for around 5 years or so)

Haha yeah all very similar to me that.

An amazing coincidence too.. my Gamerscore on 360 was the same as the date of my first born at the time she was born. Absolutely mad. Needless to say it stayed on that score for a good while!

Back