Is this squad better

This squad with Johnson as manager would have walked this league in our first season down here, under Ross, think they would have too. This team would wallop the side we had in the Championship.

We are now watching LJs team for sure. Without the silly points lost would be 6 ahead of the pack. Credit must go to the DOF because all the new signings are looking good.....so far anyway.
Just need to firm up the teams mindset with real focus for 90 + minutes and see out each result .
The joy promotion will bring will be unbelievable.

Despite the signings this window looking like good quality, has it really made an impact on the starting XI? Today we are likely to only see Batth in the team and after Monday it’s highly likely we’ll not have addressed two of our biggest weaknesses which is strength in midfield and a back up to Stewart

than the one Jack Ross had?

I think its close, that squad had a fair bit of talent for the level as this one does, but the manager wasn't up to the task and wasn't sure whether to stick or twist with what he had. Bit of a shambles really.

He didn't address issues and seemingly allowed himself be dictated to, he was far too limited and cautious. Once things we're underway most signings he was keen on made us worse and he didn't know how to use them.

The current manager has total commitment to his way and won't be swayed. Doesn't always work, doesn't always look pretty but it's always positive. Yet to be seen how it ends but its looking more favourably.

This squad with Johnson as manager would have walked this league in our first season down here, under Ross, think they would have too. This team would wallop the side we had in the Championship.

Why would they wallop the side we had in the championship? We aren’t walloping that many teams in the third division.

I think I’ve seen these threads every year since that first season we came down. I’ll believe it’s the best we’ve had when it goes that step further than the previous ones we’ve had and gets back into the division above.

than the one Jack Ross had?
Player for player it's difficult to say given that there were internationals from the most recent world cup in Jack Ross's side.

But the club was in turmoil and half of the players didn't want to be here, which would have a detrimental effect.

The defence is definitely better though, now that we have Batth.
Hoffman = McGlaughlin
Wright = Matthews
Batth > Baldwin
Doyle > Flanagan
Circin < Oviedo (yet)

Evans > power
Neil = Cattermole (debateable, but definitely will be better imo)

Gooch < Maguire
Prichard > Honeyman
Dajaku < McGeady

Stewart > Maja.

The first team is possibly slightly better over all, the squad is much better though - much more balanced and much more strength in depth.

Last edited:
Player for player it's difficult to say given that there were internationals from the most recent world cup in Jack Ross's side.

But the club was in turmoil and half of the players didn't want to be here, which would have a detrimental effect.

The defence is definitely better though, now that we have Batth.
Hoffman = McGlaughlin
Wright = Matthews
Batth > Baldwin
Doyle > Flanagan
Circin < Oviedo (yet)

Evans > power
Neil = Cattermole (debateable, but definitely will be better imo)

Gooch < Maguire
Prichard > Honeyman
Dajaku < McGeady

Stewart > Maja.

The first team is possibly slightly better over all, the squad is much better though - much more balanced and much more strength in depth.
Cattermole was an established Premier League player at Neil’s age . What will make him definitely better

He passes the ball forwards. In fairness cattermole also tried that a couple of times when he played next to Cana, but not with the sme regularity as Neil.
The level that Cattermole played at is completely different . He also ran harder , tackled and heads it more . I think passing it forward regularly is something that Neil has stopped doing recently . Cattermole was miles ahead . Neil has a long way to go to be definitely a better player than Cattermole

The level that Cattermole played at is completely different . He also ran harder , tackled and heads it more . I think passing it forward regularly is something that Neil has stopped doing recently . Cattermole was miles ahead . Neil has a long way to go to be definitely a better player than Cattermole.
All fair points, but in the third division this season, Neil has been directly involved in more goals and made more key passes than Cattermole did in 18/19 in the third division.

As you say, it is difficult to predict where Neil's career will go at this point, but comparing him this season to Cattermole back then, he is doing as well.

The level that Cattermole played at is completely different . He also ran harder , tackled and heads it more . I think passing it forward regularly is something that Neil has stopped doing recently . Cattermole was miles ahead . Neil has a long way to go to be definitely a better player than Cattermole

Wouldn't say he's stopped passing it forward recently, he's probably not carried it forward as much, his effect has been limited recently and possibly needs a rest. Difficult to judge levels as has been said. Neil looks to have more technical ability, but lacks physically and Cattermole earlier in his career wasn't just the sitter he was much of the time here.

Why would they wallop the side we had in the championship? We aren’t walloping that many teams in the third division.

I think I’ve seen these threads every year since that first season we came down. I’ll believe it’s the best we’ve had when it goes that step further than the previous ones we’ve had and gets back into the division above.
Because I think as a team we’re much better than the Championship side we came down here with.

Back