Is this squad better

Completely agree and would hope management are working on it.

Going into Arsenal I said let’s avoid any injury, last we saw of Broadhead who was adding another dimension to our attacking play, explosive pace similar to Marco in his prime.
Yeah i'm a big fan of broadhead. I don't know what our finances are but if he is on last chance saloon with his injuries with Everton, I would personally take the risk on him .

It's a lot closer than people think IMO.

McLaughlin, Oviedo, younger McGeady, Honeyman, Cattermole, Watmore, a Max Power who could move, fit Maguire, half a season of Maja.

Too many draws of course but we did only lose 3 league games up to the end of April IIRC.

I suppose in terms of strength in depth it is better, but in terms of first 11 I suspect a large percentage of the above names from back then would hypothetically make our current team if at the same point in time.

McLaughlin, Oviedo, younger McGeady, Honeyman, Cattermole, Watmore, a Max Power who could move, fit Maguire, half a season of Maja.

Too many draws of course but we did only lose 3 league games up to the end of April IIRC.

I suppose in terms of strength in depth it is better, but in terms of first 11 I suspect a large percentage of the above names from back then would hypothetically make our current team if at the same point in time.

Agreed

We weren’t bad that season at all like, the club was a mess with players from all sorts of eras, about 10 turned up for pre season

We hardly lost a game

Wasn’t good enough in end but he wasn’t far off. Just a couple of games

It got a lot lot worse once he left in my opinion

I’m not sure it is. That squad didn’t perform anywhere near its potential whilst this one is getting towards its potential and can improve. The gap between first choice and “ reserve” is much smaller now though as our performance despite awful injuries suggests.

Ross had a more experienced squad. I think LJ has a better footballing squad imo.

Either way Ross should have got us up and LJ should get us up with both the squads they had at their disposal.

Yes imo just, but there was still no excuse for us dropping so many points (particularly at home) that season - we should have gone up automatically without a doubt with that squad.

Last edited:
Disagree. Would need some but not massive.

We have held our own against championship clubs in the cup. Some promoted sides have done ok. The SMB rates the championship too highly in my opinion. A lot of the clubs are in a financial mess too.
Think i'd have to disagree with you... There's a considerable % of current team on short term loans and contracts. We've relied on at least 6 of the below all season, and on top of that we would need to improve the squad, wether that be tying these down on longer contracts and adding more quality in the short term again, or a full re-build its still massive investment. To say we don't need it is a little naïve.

Burge/Hoffmann/Doyle*/Flannagan/Wright/Willis/McGeady/Broadhead/Dajaku/Roberts/Clarke/Gooch/Obrien
*Continues next season.

I think JR had some great players for this level like.
McLaughlin,
McGeady,
Oviedo,
Catts,
Honeyman,
Maja,
Leadbitter.

We also had alot of shite in that squad too. I think this current team is more well rounded and more complete.

Mclauchlin, definitely. Oviedo couldn't even get into the team then. Why would he now? Younger? Naaaah, three of four years on and still not good enough. Mcgeady of four years ago? Aye. Honeyman and Catts of four years ago? Honeyman looked like he had the weight of his armband dragging him down and Catts was pretty much finished apart from his heart, so probably not. Watmore now? Aye but was a shadow of himself, then. Max Power was good for a handful of games and then after getting sent off a couple of times, was woeful for most of his time here.

So two or maybe three, tops.

Mclauchlin, definitely. Oviedo couldn't even get into the team then. Why would he now? Younger? Naaaah, three of four years on and still not good enough. Mcgeady of four years ago? Aye. Honeyman and Catts of four years ago? Honeyman looked like he had the weight of his armband dragging him down and Catts was pretty much finished apart from his heart, so probably not. Watmore now? Aye but was a shadow of himself, then. Max Power was good for a handful of games and then after getting sent off a couple of times, was woeful for most of his time here.

So two or maybe three, tops.

He means Younger McGeady, unless you’re just making a cack joke.

I think JR had some great players for this level like.
McLaughlin,
McGeady,
Oviedo,
Catts,
Honeyman,
Maja,
Leadbitter.

We also had alot of shite in that squad too. I think this current team is more well rounded and more complete.
I think with exception of Honeyman & Maja, what he had was great experience and quality. Difference now is we have fearless energy and quality.

The difference between the two is one knows how not to loose, the other might win more but concede more at the same time. Hence we've scored the most but also conceded the most in the top 3.

Back