Is this squad better

Agreed

We weren’t bad that season at all like, the club was a mess with players from all sorts of eras, about 10 turned up for pre season

We hardly lost a game

Wasn’t good enough in end but he wasn’t far off. Just a couple of games

It got a lot lot worse once he left in my opinion
We also got very unlucky that we had a strong essentially championship Barnsley side, a Luton team who broke all sorts of records, and then in the Play Off's met Charlton who were running through brick walls for their manager and had the best striker in the league. Had we had that same team either last year or the season before I think we walk the league.

I found it interesting to pick a best XI from the team back then vs now... more difficult than you think. But the league now is tougher than it was back then.

McLaughlin
Willis Batth Doyle
Cattermole Neil
Broadhead Pirtchard McGeady
Maja Stewart​

I found it interesting to pick a best XI from the team back then vs now... more difficult than you think. But the league now is tougher than it was back then.

McLaughlin
Willis Batth Doyle
Cattermole Neil
Broadhead Pirtchard McGeady
Maja Stewart​

There’s no way honeyman doesn’t get in that team like

He’s playing well at a higher level

If you think we still don't you're kidding yourself.

The one difference is I had zero confidence the Jack Ross squad would be good enough to step up.

At least now we have some younger players who look like they have a load of potential to be good enough for the next step.

If we had a couple of more physical presence players like Batth for the whole season I reckon we would be in a much better position now and for a possible promotion

I don't know if I go along with the thinking that a manager would 'have no excuses' or have to go if we didn't achieve promotion. Football is too full of chance to make decisions in such broad strokes. I think the only thing that should dictate a manager's future is whether they could feasibly do a good job going forward.

I think seeing the way LJ, coaching team, Speakman and KLD work together, I would personally still be behind the prospect of LJ and co having another go next season if we narrowly missed out on promotion.

Yes I'd say it's better than the team JR had. I think it's the best squad in the league on paper and we really should be getting promoted automatically with the players we have. Obviously we need another striker in case anything happens to Stewart.

If you think we still don't you're kidding yourself.
Not saying that we wouldn't need upgrades in certain positions, particularly in centre-back and central midfield, but at least if we go up this season we've got a few players who look capable of making the step up to Championship level whereas I don't think we had anybody capable of doing so had we gone up in 2018/19.

than the one Jack Ross had?

Yes, let’s look at the survivors from the 18/19 squad off the top of my head…

Flanno
O9
Gooch
Mcgeady

You could argue that Hume (now gone to Pompey) Embo & Neil were at the club but not established.

We’ve strengthened in every area. You could argue GK is equal. Although The Hoff has more potential.

Only Maja for me would get regular starts with this squad Mcgeady, 09 would have been massive losses that season (but we’ve not been impacted too badly missing them this season)

Just shows how good the turnaround and approach has been under KLD compared to the chancers.

Flanno
O9
Gooch
Mcgeady

You could argue that Hume (now gone to Pompey) Embo & Neil were at the club but not established.

We’ve strengthened in every area. You could argue GK is equal. Although The Hoff has more potential.

Only Maja for me would get regular starts with this squad Mcgeady, 09 would have been massive losses that season (but we’ve not been impacted too badly missing them this season)

Just shows how good the turnaround and approach has been under KLD compared to the chancers.

Edit missed Willis due to how long he’s been injured… prime Catts would probably edge it as a holding midfielder.

Last edited:
It's a lot closer than people think IMO.

McLaughlin, Oviedo, younger McGeady, Honeyman, Cattermole, Watmore, a Max Power who could move, fit Maguire, half a season of Maja.

Too many draws of course but we did only lose 3 league games up to the end of April IIRC.

I suppose in terms of strength in depth it is better, but in terms of first 11 I suspect a large percentage of the above names from back then would hypothetically make our current team if at the same point in time.
Oviedo couldn’t get in that team (James started more games). Neither could watmore as he wasn’t fit (11 apps, 1 goal). Maguire was already in that well known cycle good => declined => dropped (kick up arse) => good again. Geads was better but there was no depth behind him as the end of season proved. When he was out or struggling with the injury we had zero creativity.

Wouldn’t swap power or catts (at that stage) for Winch, Evans or Neil. Nor Honeyman (who is doing well now) for Pritchard.

McLaughlin, yes, but he had matured as a keeper. Hoff is a promising young lad, with huge potential.

Not saying that we wouldn't need upgrades in certain positions, particularly in centre-back and central midfield, but at least if we go up this season we've got a few players who look capable of making the step up to Championship level whereas I don't think we had anybody capable of doing so had we gone up in 2018/19.

I respectfully disagree mind.

It'll be men against boys.

Flanno
O9
Gooch
Mcgeady

Edit missed Willis due to how long he’s been injured… prime Catts would probably edge it as a holding midfielder.
I would argue that McLaughlin was better, not that impressed with Hoff.

Back