Is Sunderland a city of the future?

City Centre new office space starting to fill up

Logon or register to see this image

MORTONS LAWMORTONS LAW1,668 followers1,668 followers
3h • 3h •
Follow
Our Sunderland office has relocated !

After occupying High Street West for almost 25 years, we have relocated our head office to The Yard, Gill Bridge Avenue, Sunderland, SR1 3AW.

You may remember The Yard as the old Gilbridge Police Station? We are near the Holiday Inn, just off Keel Square, on the opposite side of the road to City Hall.

Situated close to several public car parks and Sunderland Interchange is a short walk away through the city centre, our new offices have disabled access and facilities for clients with mobility difficulties.

We look forward to welcoming clients, old and new, to our bright and modern office space.
Activate to view larger image,

Not sure what the most appropriate thread to put this in is, but I was pleasantly surprised when I was driving home from work through Newcastle past the town moor north of their city centre before it becomes Gosforth earlier this week and noticed in the distance to the south east you can make out the top of the Northern Spire Bridge. Couldn’t believe you could see it from all that way, but it’s on quite an incline around there and obviously no buildings to get in the way. Raised a smile anyway.

Not sure what the most appropriate thread to put this in is, but I was pleasantly surprised when I was driving home from work through Newcastle past the town moor north of their city centre before it becomes Gosforth earlier this week and noticed in the distance to the south east you can make out the top of the Northern Spire Bridge. Couldn’t believe you could see it from all that way, but it’s on quite an incline around there and obviously no buildings to get in the way. Raised a smile anyway.
Was originally going to be designed with a V sign atop the central column directed towards our nearest and not so dearest. Would have been brilliant.

That’s the whole row empty now isn’t it? I wonder if the council have immediate plans in place for redevelopment?
They were all being moved for arena, however funding wasn't all there. Perhaps there's been a further breakthrough or they're keeping it empty until they have cash to proceed.
I was thinking prime spot for a few hotels

We are going to need a fair few new ones
Get the hotels in the centre to boost the city centre economy

Last edited:
looking through planning, this development off a few years ago has now been given an extension of time on decision (updated docs march this year) until august - thought there might be a few new developers sniffing around this site been right next to the new studios

Poor development for this hope it doesn’t go through.
I think housing/ apartments would be better here.
I think they can do better than drive through encouraging poor diet and industrial units

It should have red and white lasers lighting up the sky over newcastle.

Poor development for this hope it doesn’t go through.
I think housing/ apartments would be better here.
I think they can do better than drive through encouraging poor diet and industrial units
I dont know about housing in that area, as it will be hovered up by Airbnb's etc for people in the film studio's I think it would be better for Office/Workshop spaces, or possibly entertainment type venues (Climbing Wall, Shooting Range, Indoor gokarts, Wet N Wild type swimming centre)

The absolute state of this man :lol: :lol:

And the new trend seems to be shitty AI pictures to spread shite and lies. Like those Proud to Be English and the Bad Brown People posts that are going about. Faux outrage spread by gammons who don’t have a clue.

————————————————-

SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL, what have you done to OUR 'city' centre? I've had to pop into town for less than an hour, and the place isn't what it once used to be. There's no buzz, no pride, no shops, absolutely nothing worth the parking fee of £3.20 for the hours mooch around. It truly saddens me having to witness its downfall in recent years.

Before anyone says 'it's because of online shopping blah blah blah' its not just down to that. Its down to ripping the heart out of the place with high rents, disgusting parking charges and no money getting pumped into the older parts of the town.

Here's an idea....why don't you try lowering the business rates for a year, which might attract new business. Trial a week's free parking to boost footfall. Have regular open markets on Keel Square, everyone loves an open market (well I do). Heck, just try something new and innovative, instead of the numerous new car parks popping up to grab more money!!

There's also the ongoing crime, kids getting mugged at night. Its not a safe place anymore!!

"GIVE THE PEOPLE OF SUNDERLAND OUR PRIDE BACK"

Share if you agree, let's grab the council's attention!!

AI IMAGE USED TO GRAB ATTENTION

And the new trend seems to be shitty AI pictures to spread shite and lies. Like those Proud to Be English and the Bad Brown People posts that are going about. Faux outrage spread by gammons who don’t have a clue.

————————————————-

SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL, what have you done to OUR 'city' centre? I've had to pop into town for less than an hour, and the place isn't what it once used to be. There's no buzz, no pride, no shops, absolutely nothing worth the parking fee of £3.20 for the hours mooch around. It truly saddens me having to witness its downfall in recent years.

Before anyone says 'it's because of online shopping blah blah blah' its not just down to that. Its down to ripping the heart out of the place with high rents, disgusting parking charges and no money getting pumped into the older parts of the town.

Here's an idea....why don't you try lowering the business rates for a year, which might attract new business. Trial a week's free parking to boost footfall. Have regular open markets on Keel Square, everyone loves an open market (well I do). Heck, just try something new and innovative, instead of the numerous new car parks popping up to grab more money!!

There's also the ongoing crime, kids getting mugged at night. Its not a safe place anymore!!

I replied on that post, it hasn't went well as the comments are mostly against the poster

————————————————-

Very well said. Grannies being mugged in broad daylight, lost community pride when the generic bland ideas have been implemented in recent years. A hotchpotch of one hit wonders. Ask the people who live here and spend their hard earned. We want a safe and welcoming centre like we used to have. It’s not too much to ask.

————————————————-

I still park for free when I go to the town like and theres always plenty of spaces.

Back