Is Sunderland a city of the future?

Impossible to argue nothing is happening in Sunderland atm, yet they still are.

I get a little stiffy every time I drive past Vaux and see a bit of extra framework gone up. It’s going to be looking class that area soon. The knock on effect for local business will be huge too.

Even just at this moment, you have work going at the Yard and out the back of the Fire Station, the Keel Square Hotel is almost finished, two new office buildings going up and the new multi storey car park.

We’re also due to see the start of the Eye Infirmary very soon, the Culture House, Footbridge, and housing.

The possible Arena plans for Crowtree are exciting but I’m a little skeptical we can pull it off. I bloody hope we do, though.

I’m sure someone used to post a massive list of all the building work in Sunderland that’s been recently completed, ongoing and due to start. Needs bringing back so we can just copy and paste when thickies moan ‘nowts happening in Sunderland’ & ‘vote conservative, they’ll bring our city back unlike Labour’.

Excellent post marra.

There's some right negative moaners on FB an embarrassment to our city.

No. But it could be.

It needs a major injection of money from new businesses. If and when we stop buying Chinese shit, we could make it a world centre for offshore wind power.

I’m sure someone used to post a massive list of all the building work in Sunderland that’s been recently completed, ongoing and due to start. Needs bringing back so we can just copy and paste when thickies moan ‘nowts happening in Sunderland’ & ‘vote conservative, they’ll bring our city back unlike Labour’.

I think that was me. It was just copy and pasted from a list in an echo article.

I've seen a schedule of all building work and when it's due to be started and completed somewhere. I think it might be on the Sunderland Riverside site on one of their documents.

Impossible to argue nothing is happening in Sunderland atm, yet they still are.

I get a little stiffy every time I drive past Vaux and see a bit of extra framework gone up. It’s going to be looking class that area soon. The knock on effect for local business will be huge too.

Even just at this moment, you have work going at the Yard and out the back of the Fire Station, the Keel Square Hotel is almost finished, two new office buildings going up and the new multi storey car park.

We’re also due to see the start of the Eye Infirmary very soon, the Culture House, Footbridge, and housing.

The possible Arena plans for Crowtree are exciting but I’m a little skeptical we can pull it off. I bloody hope we do, though.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com › news › people › gentoo-all-set-for-move-to-city-hall-3794941

Gentoo all set for move to City Hall | Sunderland Echo​

Friday, 5th August 2022, 11:23 am Housing group Gentoo has announced its plans to move employees to the Plater Way venue. This follows the relocation from its Athenaeum offices on the corner of...

https://www.sunderlandecho.com › news › people › gentoo-all-set-for-move-to-city-hall-3794941

Gentoo all set for move to City Hall | Sunderland Echo

Friday, 5th August 2022, 11:23 am Housing group Gentoo has announced its plans to move employees to the Plater Way venue. This follows the relocation from its Athenaeum offices on the corner of...
Brilliant news. I’m sure there was an article a while back that the building on Atheneum St was to be made into some sort of Art Gallery? Hopefully that can get rolling now.

That’s the one. Says there it was meant to open ‘this summer’ when the article was posted in 2021.

So either it’s been delayed/not happening or I just haven’t heard of any of these events that have been going on. Not really my scene so I could have easily missed little shows they’ve put on.

Found a one, it's not as detailed as the other one.

Logon or register to see this image

There's also plans to use the water in the mine to heat homes.

There's also a basic map on the master plan that outlines it

Logon or register to see this image

That’s the one. Says there it was meant to open ‘this summer’ when the article was posted in 2021.

So either it’s been delayed/not happening or I just haven’t heard of any of these events that have been going on. Not really my scene so I could have easily missed little shows they’ve put on.

There's also this where the Pilgrim pub was.

https://neconnected.co.uk › tag › pilgrim-pub-at-fawcett-street

Pilgrim Pub at Fawcett Street Archives - North East Connected​

Tag: Pilgrim Pub at Fawcett Street. Lights go up on arts collaboration project. THREE unique art exhibitions will be making use of a former Sunderland city centre pub, as part of an innovative series of events. Read More. Become a Member. Login. Members Area. Advertisement. Advertisement. Advertisement . Contact Us. Latest Competitions. Bus

It's great to see all the this new development that is transforming the city happening, with plenty more to come.

However, on the residential side, where are the people coming from to occupy the huge amount of housing being built ?

There's the big developments on the north side, at Seaburn behind The Stack, two on either side of North Hylton Road, plus one or two smaller developments.

Move over to the south side and it's unbelievable. There's the big Gentoo site on Chester Road called Chester Gate. There's at least three in Silksworth including the huge one on the RHS heading towards East Herrington from Silky . Then there's the 900 or so homes planned on land north of Burdon Lane in addition to the seemingly ever expanding development around ex Cherry Knowle.

No doubt there's a few I've missed, and, most of these houses won't be within the range of first time buyers.

Iirc, Sunderland's population is decreasing slightly each year and, ageing.

So, where are the buyers coming from ?
it's to arrest the dwindling population

No. But it could be.

It needs a major injection of money from new businesses. If and when we stop buying Chinese shit, we could make it a world centre for offshore wind power.
You probably need to look into it a bit more. Theres been a billion and a half gone into it in the last few years and £160m from Legal & General. Ocado have moved in, RSA are moving in and several others. I know personally of people moving in from Tyneside

Construction underway on two new office units on the vaux site. One browse of the council’s Facebook page and it’s wholly negative. Great news for the city if you ask me.

Had a laugh at one of the comments moaning about the new L&G building as there's an empty one over the road (referring to Shackleton house)

Oblivious to that the university has been using it as their medical school for a few years now, and can't grasp that the new builds are private investment.

I think most of the negative comments are from the snobby folk who'd just goto Newcastle regardless & are unaware of what's actually happening as they never venture into town.

Reminds me of that knacker who suggested the council should build a memorial to vaux, something like a horse & cart, about a year after the thing had been installed. Was unaware cos they hadn't been to the town for years.

Had a laugh at one of the comments moaning about the new L&G building as there's an empty one over the road (referring to Shackleton house)

Oblivious to that the university has been using it as their medical school for a few years now, and can't grasp that the new builds are private investment.

I think most of the negative comments are from the snobby folk who'd just goto Newcastle regardless & are unaware of what's actually happening as they never venture into town.

Reminds me of that knacker who suggested the council should build a memorial to vaux, something like a horse & cart, about a year after the thing had been installed. Was unaware cos they hadn't been to the town for years.
It's usually "'Eee first time I've been in town for years and couldn't believe all the closed shops."

Back