Is Sunderland a city of the future?

Has there been any news on who might occupy the renovated Sheepfolds units? I'm personally hoping it is like Bermondsey or Ouseburn and not chain restaurants and bars.

Has there been any news on who might occupy the renovated Sheepfolds units? I'm personally hoping it is like Bermondsey or Ouseburn and not chain restaurants and bars.
Only one announced so far is a restaurant called Zinc.

Someone mentioned earlier this thread that a cigar & whiskey place is moving in? Not sure how true that is though. No official announcement on it.

Only one announced so far is a restaurant called Zinc.

Someone mentioned earlier this thread that a cigar & whiskey place is moving in? Not sure how true that is though. No official announcement on it.
That sounds positive so far. Hopefully more to come who do something unique.

It's great to see all the this new development that is transforming the city happening, with plenty more to come.

However, on the residential side, where are the people coming from to occupy the huge amount of housing being built ?

There's the big developments on the north side, at Seaburn behind The Stack, two on either side of North Hylton Road, plus one or two smaller developments.

Move over to the south side and it's unbelievable. There's the big Gentoo site on Chester Road called Chester Gate. There's at least three in Silksworth including the huge one on the RHS heading towards East Herrington from Silky . Then there's the 900 or so homes planned on land north of Burdon Lane in addition to the seemingly ever expanding development around ex Cherry Knowle.

No doubt there's a few I've missed, and, most of these houses won't be within the range of first time buyers.

Iirc, Sunderland's population is decreasing slightly each year and, ageing.

So, where are the buyers coming from ?

It's great to see all the this new development that is transforming the city happening, with plenty more to come.

However, on the residential side, where are the people coming from to occupy the huge amount of housing being built ?

There's the big developments on the north side, at Seaburn behind The Stack, two on either side of North Hylton Road, plus one or two smaller developments.

Move over to the south side and it's unbelievable. There's the big Gentoo site on Chester Road called Chester Gate. There's at least three in Silksworth including the huge one on the RHS heading towards East Herrington from Silky . Then there's the 900 or so homes planned on land north of Burdon Lane in addition to the seemingly ever expanding development around ex Cherry Knowle.

No doubt there's a few I've missed, and, most of these houses won't be within the range of first time buyers.

Demand for new builds is huge and builders wouldn't be lashing them up if they didn't believe they would sell. It may well have a knock on effect on older properties, especially at the lower end of the ladder.
Whilst the overall population is decreasing, I believe there are fewer people per household so therefore a bigger demand for housing. We've moved on since Charlie and The Chocolate Factory when you used to share a bed with your Grandad.

The real Mo Farah is coming over with his extended family

Demand for new builds is huge and builders wouldn't be lashing them up if they didn't believe they would sell. It may well have a knock on effect on older properties, especially at the lower end of the ladder.
Whilst the overall population is decreasing, I believe there are fewer people per household so therefore a bigger demand for housing. We've moved on since Charlie and The Chocolate Factory when you used to share a bed with your Grandad.
Something I don't get... We have 2.5 bedrooms per person in the UK and this is going to be much higher in the Northeast compared to the South where the housing issue is far more acute. We cannot help central government disincentives for older people and smaller families to downsize. We know in the Northeast only around 1 in 8 houses are of the standard that young professional people want to buy (about half the national average), so doing so is very competitive. I'm surmising this is exacerbated by white flight from London over the past few years as I read a lot of families relocated from there to Sunderland. Yet instead of addressing the quality housing shortage, we have a rush of Barratt boxes with no supporting facilities, where even 3 bedroom detached houses have less floor space than 2 up 2 down flats.

Something I don't get... We have 2.5 bedrooms per person in the UK and this is going to be much higher in the Northeast compared to the South where the housing issue is far more acute. We cannot help central government disincentives for older people and smaller families to downsize. We know in the Northeast only around 1 in 8 houses are of the standard that young professional people want to buy (about half the national average), so doing so is very competitive. I'm surmising this is exacerbated by white flight from London over the past few years as I read a lot of families relocated from there to Sunderland. Yet instead of addressing the quality housing shortage, we have a rush of Barratt boxes with no supporting facilities, where even 3 bedroom detached houses have less floor space than 2 up 2 down flats.
It's supply and demand. People want new, they want a bedroom per kid, a little outdoor space and somewhere to park the car. They don't necessarily want big rooms.
Not saying it is right or wrong, just the way it is.
There are incentives to buying new that aren't available when buying on the open market. A generation ago people looked to buy fixer uppers but despite all the property shows on TV, people now want the convenience of brand new and I can see the attraction.

It's supply and demand. People want new, they want a bedroom per kid, a little outdoor space and somewhere to park the car. They don't necessarily want big rooms.
Not saying it is right or wrong, just the way it is.
There are incentives to buying new that aren't available when buying on the open market. A generation ago people looked to buy fixer uppers but despite all the property shows on TV, people now want the convenience of brand new and I can see the attraction.
I get people don't want projects, though most people I know of who have bought new builds have spent exceptional amounts of time and effort to get snags fixed. But we are not getting good quality new builds and that has helped cause brain drain and lack of opportunity to recruit from elsewhere.

Another thing, none of the new developments are building bungalows.
When the older gen decide they can't manage stairs etc, the only option is going to be a flat which may not be too appealling for various reasons

You're not wrong there mind.
When looking at new place to live last year, looked at that one in Seaham top bank near Dalton Heights, Hillfield Meadows, Silky, and one near Amazon factory in Bowburn. I cudnt believe how small the living rooms were and, the bedrooms

Last edited:
When the older gen decide they can't manage stairs etc, the only option is going to be a flat which may not be too appealling for various reasons
True. Stair lifts are very good these days mind. Keep folk in their own homes who don’t want to move. Extra hand rails, additional steps, amended bathrooms etc. There’s quite a bit you can do to stay in a traditional house these days once it gets a bit much.

When looking at new place to live last year, looked at that one in Seaham top bank near Dalton Heights, Hillfield Meadows, Silky, and one near Amazon factory in Bowburn. I cudnt believe how small the living rooms were and, the bedrooms
I always chuckle when I see ' the spacious bathroom, 5'9 by 4'6. Then the wonderfully spacious master bedroom which is about 10% bigger than my spare room, followed by 2 rooms a single bed will fill.

Tbf, the council has started a couple of (albeit small scale) bungalow developments

Construction underway on two new office units on the vaux site. One browse of the council’s Facebook page and it’s wholly negative. Great news for the city if you ask me.

Impossible to argue nothing is happening in Sunderland atm, yet they still are.

I get a little stiffy every time I drive past Vaux and see a bit of extra framework gone up. It’s going to be looking class that area soon. The knock on effect for local business will be huge too.

Even just at this moment, you have work going at the Yard and out the back of the Fire Station, the Keel Square Hotel is almost finished, two new office buildings going up and the new multi storey car park.

We’re also due to see the start of the Eye Infirmary very soon, the Culture House, Footbridge, and housing.

The possible Arena plans for Crowtree are exciting but I’m a little skeptical we can pull it off. I bloody hope we do, though.

I’m sure someone used to post a massive list of all the building work in Sunderland that’s been recently completed, ongoing and due to start. Needs bringing back so we can just copy and paste when thickies moan ‘nowts happening in Sunderland’ & ‘vote conservative, they’ll bring our city back unlike Labour’.

Back