Is it really effing worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyLove

Striker
Now the official rules are out just had a conversation with my wife and we basically agreed regardless of the rules at most we will spend a bit of time with family outside to exchange presents.

We would like nothing more then to let our 2 children see their grandparents. For one it’s their 1st Christmas. But grandparents are between 68 and 74 and one other family member has underlying conditions.

If the vaccine was never coming or 4 or 5 years off we might have a different view but all indications are it’s just around the corner.

If it’s effective then hopefully the wider family and grandparents can have 10-20 more years with them.

It’s everyone’s personal choice but the tragic reality is simple statistics suggest that for a number of people mixing at Christmas will inevitably pass on Covid to vulnerable relatives who die and they may well have to live with the thought that had they just waited a few more months until the vaccine but for a couple of days they could have had many more years with them. I couldn’t live with myself knowing that.

If wider family is very frail or ill and may not see next year I can understand it. But even Covid deniers accept older people are at risk and I can’t understand why anyone would roll the dice with vulnerable family for the sake of one or two days.

Last edited:

Now the official rules are out just had a conversation with my wife and we basically agreed regardless of the rules at most we will spend a bit of time with family outside to exchange presents.

We would like nothing more then to let our 2 children see their grandparents. For one it’s their 1st Christmas. But grandparents are between 68 and 74 and one other family member has underlying conditions.

If the vaccine was never coming or 4 or 5 years off we might have a different view but all indications are it’s just around the corner.

If it’s effective then hopefully the wider family and grandparents can have 10-20 more years with them.

It’s everyone’s personal choice but the tragic reality is simple statistics suggest that for a number of people mixing at Christmas will inevitably pass on Covid to vulnerable relatives who die and they may well have to live with the thought that had they just waited a few more months until the vaccine but for a couple of days they could have had many more years with them. I couldn’t live with myself knowing that.

If wider family is very frail or ill and may not see next year I can understand it. But even Covid deniers accept older people are at risk and I can’t understand why anyone would roll the dice with vulnerable family for the sake of one or two days.
. The above post is a very rational, sensible and balanced post and I think this is how we should all embrace christmas. I just dont need BJ to tell me this. Neither does the OP.

It's a question people have been given the chance to answer for themselves. I hear what you're saying & respect it, I just hope everyone can be respectful of everyones choices otherwise the whole period may be quite toxic.

That said, actually, i've not really encountered any ill will outside of this forum.

I find it absolute madness to relax the rules for Christmas. All that abiding by the rules for nothing imo.

. The above post is a very rational, sensible and balanced post and I think this is how we should all embrace christmas. I just dont need BJ to tell me this. Neither does the OP.

I wasn’t telling you anything, I was interested in how many people are willing to gamble, as that’s essentially what it is, with particularly older family just for the sake of a day or so celebration
It's a question people have been given the chance to answer for themselves. I hear what you're saying & respect it, I just hope everyone can be respectful of everyones choices otherwise the whole period may be quite toxic.

That said, actually, i've not really encountered any ill will outside of this forum.

As I say I’m not telling anyone what to do, personal choice, just surprised anyone would put such a potentially huge stake on one or two days celebration

Last edited:
I wasn’t telling you anything, I was interested in how many people are willing to gamble, as that’s essentially what it is, with particularly older family just for the sake of a day or so celebration
I'll not be gambling but I'll be enjoying Christmas with my close family. That was always happening before this announcement.

As I say I’m not telling anyone what to do, personal choice, just surprised anyone would put such a potentially huge stake on one or two days celebration

That's fair , for me, my parents have been aggressively "Anti-covid" in the populist sense of the term , throughout, it would make the family dynamic very frayed if I didn't see them. I live alone and can use them for a support bubble anyway, and have seen them throughout the pandemic, but everyone will have different circumstances.

In many respects some of the lucky ones will be those who have understanding families, and who accept peoples choices not to see them and don't see it as irrational / a personal slight. There'll surely be some tension about it all, so the last thing I think we need will be judgement from other families on different folk. (Not saying that's what you're doing)

Shit situation.

That's fair , for me, my parents have been aggressively "Anti-covid" in the populist sense of the term , throughout, it would make the family dynamic very frayed if I didn't see them. I live alone and can use them for a support bubble anyway, and have seen them throughout the pandemic, but everyone will have different circumstances.

In many respects some of the lucky ones will be those who have understanding families, and who accept peoples choices not to see them and don't see it as irrational / a personal slight. There'll surely be some tension about it all, so the last thing I think we need will be judgement from other families on different folk. (Not saying that's what you're doing)

Shit situation.

That's unfortunate like and puts you in a terrible position. I had a stand off argument with my grandma the other day just going round to leave something at the door cause I wouldn't go in the house. Nobody exactly wants to put their family in hospital.

I'd rather just things stay as they are over the full Christmas period if it means not having a January/February/March lockdown special (which we will have now, and which will end up being utterly grim, depressing and sh**e).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back