Ironic

Status
Not open for further replies.

prime example of how fickle sports fans are in general tbh the previous Newcastle result. from heroes to zeroes in a matter of a few weeks or the other way round anyhows

biding my time, nothing has been proven and wont be proven either way until a few more years have passed

world class performers remain at the top of their powers over a sustained period thats what makes them world class, every dog has its day

yet again you miss the point with headline grabbing statements which havent been thought through, did Mcgrath and Warne rip through all the sides ranked 2,3, and 4 or was it just England who were probably ranked about 6

Not missing the point at all. You have got to the stage where you were disparaging of any Jimmy performance in any test match that isnt doing the business in perfect batting conditions against the very best opposition in the world. Your argument was always that he wasnt good enough for England not that he wasnt world class.

His performances against Australia in australia were excellent - I also remember McGrath and Warne having horrible series against SA and India respectfully and they were the greatest bowlers of a generation not just a decent international bowler like Anderson.

Do you still maintain you wouldnt pick anderson for England? Who would you pick instead?

Not missing the point at all. You have got to the stage where you were disparaging of any Jimmy performance in any test match that isnt doing the business in perfect batting conditions against the very best opposition in the world. Your argument was always that he wasnt good enough for England not that he wasnt world class.

His performances against Australia in australia were excellent - I also remember McGrath and Warne having horrible series against SA and India respectfully and they were the greatest bowlers of a generation not just a decent international bowler like Anderson.

Do you still maintain you wouldnt pick anderson for England? Who would you pick instead?

I agree with your sentiment that England should operate on a horses for courses basis. I have never queried Jimmy ability to take wickets on green and damp tracks. Due to inclement weather in Australia we havent learnt much about Jimmy that we didnt already know. He does bowl less 4 balls but Australia are a poor test side (not we have made them poor, they were on the wain long before we went over).

Is Jimmy a better bowler than 4 years ago YES
Is the standard of test cricket more poorer than 4 years YES
Do I think Jimmy can get top batsman on flat wickets TIME WILL TELL

As I have repeatedly said with Swann, you can only judge him over a few years, not a few series against weak opposition. FYI - Swanns bowling ranking points have decreased sharply while he has been in Australia, which backs up my point that we get carried away too quickly in this country

I agree with your sentiment that England should operate on a horses for courses basis. I have never queried Jimmy ability to take wickets on green and damp tracks. Due to inclement weather in Australia we havent learnt much about Jimmy that we didnt already know. He does bowl less 4 balls but Australia are a poor test side (not we have made them poor, they were on the wain long before we went over).

Is Jimmy a better bowler than 4 years ago YES
Is the standard of test cricket more poorer than 4 years YES
Do I think Jimmy can get top batsman on flat wickets TIME WILL TELL

As I have repeatedly said with Swann, you can only judge him over a few years, not a few series against weak opposition. FYI - Swanns bowling ranking points have decreased sharply while he has been in Australia, which backs up my point that we get carried away too quickly in this country

Thats as honest as you have ever been. Your argument was never initially about Anderson being a world class top drawer bowler. He has proved you wrong in the same way Bell has proved me wrong in the same way everyone gets proved wrong on issues involving cricket because players have the capacity to improve and learn.

Re - swann you shouldnt read to much into that. he was there to perform a role for the team on unfavourable pitches and still won a test match in the process. Shane warne's points even took a hit in India from time to time you just take the rough with the smooth!

Last edited:
Thats as honest as you have ever been. Your argument was never initially about Anderson being a world class top drawer bowler. He has proved you wrong in the same way Bell has proved me wrong in the same way everyone gets proved wrong on issues involving cricket because players have the capacity to improve and learn.

my argument with Anderson was

a) we would never be number 1 in the world with him in the side, were still not ranked one

b) he cant get top batsman out on flat wickets, 2 batsman in the worlds top 20 in his last 13 test matches

c) you said list the alternatives, I said Saj was worth a go, since when Tremlett and Finn have both come in and shown there are alternatives, if not the one I suggested.

my argument with Anderson was

a) we would never be number 1 in the world with him in the side, were still not ranked one

b) he cant get top batsman out on flat wickets, 2 batsman in the worlds top 20 in his last 13 test matches

c) you said list the alternatives, I said Saj was worth a go, since when Tremlett and Finn have both come in and shown there are alternatives, if not the one I suggested.

Your argument developed into that after saying Anderson should be replaced in the England team. You said he had 'no plan B' you even said he couldn't reverse swing the ball. If Anderson cant consistently get top batsmen out on flat wickets name me bowlers in the world that can. Even the great west indian fast bowlers of the 70s struggled like mad on the sub continent - it didnt mean they should have been kicked out.

You were wrong on Anderson even if he doesnt improve any more.

Your argument developed into that after saying Anderson should be replaced in the England team. You said he had 'no plan B' you even said he couldn't reverse swing the ball. If Anderson cant consistently get top batsmen out on flat wickets name me bowlers in the world that can. Even the great west indian fast bowlers of the 70s struggled like mad on the sub continent - it didnt mean they should have been kicked out.

You were wrong on Anderson even if he doesnt improve any more.

I am not wrong. Anderson has improved without question. However, there are far sterner tests in world cricket than Bangladesh, Pakistan and Australia.

I will judge Anderson over a period of time and not kneejerk one way or the other because the media are feting England to be the best thing since sliced bread

I am not wrong. Anderson has improved without question. However, there are far sterner tests in world cricket than Bangladesh, Pakistan and Australia.

I will judge Anderson over a period of time and not kneejerk one way or the other because the media are feting England to be the best thing since sliced bread

You are now judging Anderson to a criteria that would make him the best opening bowler in the world a fast bowler that can hammer the best players on all surfaces in all conditions. A bowler that rarely exists in world cricket

You were judging him as not being one of the best 4 bowlers in England that should be replaced immediately.

You were wrong as everyone else is from time to time.

You are now judging Anderson to a criteria that would make him the best opening bowler in the world a fast bowler that can hammer the best players on all surfaces in all conditions. A bowler that rarely exists in world cricket

You were judging him as not being one of the best 4 bowlers in England that should be replaced immediately.

You were wrong as everyone else is from time to time.

I am not wrong. Jimmy is turning it around, but isnt there yet. If he gets there, I will admit I am wrong

I am not wrong. Jimmy is turning it around, but isnt there yet. If he gets there, I will admit I am wrong
bookmarked this :lol:

after this coming summer, if and when jimmy takes wickets, will he have succeeded in convincing you?

Last edited by a moderator:
bookmarked this :lol:

after this coming summer, if and when jimmy takes wickets, will he have succeeded in convincing you?

nope.

you judge someone over say 4 years or so when they have had time to play everyone home and away.

Jimmy has done this, but his average in Sri Lanka is 126, so Il give him time to turn this around then make a call on where he is

nope.

you judge someone over say 4 years or so when they have had time to play everyone home and away.

Jimmy has done this, but his average in Sri Lanka is 126, so Il give him time to turn this around then make a call on where he is
:lol::lol:

seriously, has he done something personal to you?

nope.

Warney averges close to 50 against India. Perhaps we should give him the opportunity of turning that around before making any rash judgements :lol:

Warney averges close to 50 against India. Perhaps we should give him the opportunity of turning that around before making any rash judgements :lol:

As I said his career average in SA/India/Australia and Sri Lanka are too high to be worlds number one side. If these come down over time, not one series, then we will push for the number one spot. If they dont come down we will struggle to get number one just like we were outplayed in SA for three tests (two tests of which Steyn wasnt fit)

As I said his career average in SA/India/Australia and Sri Lanka are too high to be worlds number one side. If these come down over time, not one series, then we will push for the number one spot. If they dont come down we will struggle to get number one just like we were outplayed in SA for three tests (two tests of which Steyn wasnt fit)

Yeah, yeah but so have the figures of just about every single pace bowler England have produced in the last 30 years or so. However we couldnt drop them all. That criteria is plainly ridiculous and if met by anderson would make him the best bowler we have ever produced along with Botham and Trueman.

He is clearly and easily good enough to play for england and is obviously one of the better quick bowlers in world cricket at the moment. That in itself proves you wrong.

Yeah, yeah but so have the figures of just about every single pace bowler England have produced in the last 30 years or so. However we couldnt drop them all. That criteria is plainly ridiculous and if met by anderson would make him the best bowler we have ever produced along with Botham and Trueman.

He is clearly and easily good enough to play for england and is obviously one of the better quick bowlers in world cricket at the moment. That in itself proves you wrong.

and that is why to get to number one and stay at number one which is the aim of this English side we cant afford for the leader of our attack to be marginally better than average which he is at present

its not rocket science

and that is why to get to number one and stay at number one which is the aim of this English side we cant afford for the leader of our attack to be marginally better than average which he is at present

its not rocket science

If the best we have got isnt good enough neither are the rest :lol:

fancy giving Goughy, Caddick, Harmison, Flintoff, Willis, Hoggard, Botham international careers when they werent good enough to make us the best team in the world.

what a knacker!

Last edited:
If the best we have got isnt good enough neither are the rest :lol:

Tremletts performances in Australia would deem that statement fanciful

Again though until others are given a sustained run its a statement which cant be proved either way

When the selectors backed Bell, you wanted him out, cricket is all about opinion. Jimmy is in vogue at the moment, doesnt make him the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back