IRA bonfire in Londonderry

So you are saying this is because of brexit? Whatever this is.

No. Where did I say it was? I specifically said it was made worse by it. Which it is. Nutcases on both sides now more entrenched than at any time since the GFA came into force being led into a hard border by a DUP that’s determined not to do what’s best for NI but for itself and as a result alienating moderates on both sides. It’s a f***ing mess and anyone who thinks Brexit isn’t a cause of it needs to give their head a shake

No. Where did I say it was? I specifically said it was made worse by it. Which it is. Nutcases on both sides now more entrenched than at any time since the GFA came into force being led into a hard border by a DUP that’s determined not to do what’s best for NI but for itself and as a result alienating moderates on both sides. It’s a f***ing mess and anyone who thinks Brexit isn’t a cause of it needs to give their head a shake
I think you need to give your head and shake.

Aye that was it. Didn’t realise it had been sorted.

You’re right. I mean imagine the possibility of a hard border going up in Northern Ireland - something the republicans would be over the moon about. And thank fuck the government isn’t reliant on hardline unionists who voted against the GFA in the first place to survive.

Even before the Brexit referendum, hell, even before the Scottish referendum there was an increase in violence in Northern Ireland. As has already been said, most of it is gang related to crime but you also have the kids thinking about the romance of getting out there and fighting for ‘their’ country.

You could read the kids viewpoints on The Student Room forum about ten years ago when my daughter was still at university. Brexit may be contributing a small amount to the unrest, but it is by no means responsible for it, and you would have to be a very bigoted remainer to allege that it is responsible.

The only people who would think that are inbreds who think the world started the day after the Brexit referendum.

Even before the Brexit referendum, hell, even before the Scottish referendum there was an increase in violence in Northern Ireland. As has already been said, most of it is gang related to crime but you also have the kids thinking about the romance of getting out there and fighting for ‘their’ country.

You could read the kids viewpoints on The Student Room forum about ten years ago when my daughter was still at university. Brexit may be contributing a small amount to the unrest, but it is by no means responsible for it, and you would have to be a very bigoted remainer to allege that it is responsible.

The only people who would think that are inbreds who think the world started the day after the Brexit referendum.

TL DR.

The whole place is a powder keg at the minute (no pun intended) and Brexit is making it worse. I don’t remember there being so much needless sectarianism since the bad old days.

You mustn't have a very long memory then mate to be honest, don't think Brexit has had much of an impact on this sort of thing.

The hard border going back up will harden peoples atttiudes.

It’s so easy to cross the border and back again. This has helped the transition of power sharing.

I can honestly see a return to trouble if we have checkpoints back up.

On both sides of the border there are huge signs protesting to an EU frontier.

Back