IRA bonfire in Londonderry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tit for tat bonfires is a bit 1970s though.

What is the flag under the Palestinian one?
Irish sunburst flag

. The sunburst became a common part of nationalist iconography in the early nineteenth century, often being used in conjunction with the harp. In 1858 a revolutionary movement was formed which was known as the Irish Republican Brotherhood in Ireland but used the name 'Fenian Brotherhood' among Irish emigrants in the United States - 'Fenian' being an anglicisation of 'Fianna'. Not surprisingly, the new movement made use of the sunburst.

I was up in Belfast for a stag party about 2 years ago. The stag want to go to the Falls Road. It was like we entered a time warp! We left a lovely city centre and went back to 1982! I'd imagine the Skankhill is the same.

You’d never catch Loyalists doing that.

Oh.

Landmark 'hate crime' prosecution over loyalist bonfire
That's how it is. One side those it it's OK but when the other side does it it's trouble.

Last edited:
The whole place is a powder keg at the minute (no pun intended) and Brexit is making it worse. I don’t remember there being so much needless sectarianism since the bad old days.
The Mrs' parents were over at the weekend. Her dad lives in Derry, he was saying how bad it is at the minute. Seems like it's been barely reported here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back