Ipswich town squad size

If you recruit based on being mates with the agent, then you are taking a big gamble.

The Celina transfer really interested me.

Ashton initially tried to get him early in the summer before he’d spoken to Cook about it (from MA’s lips, not conjecture on my part). Celina’s agent - ICM Stellar Sport, have several Ipswich players, especially new signings with them. Why would you go after a player without speaking to the manager? Trying to get onside with the fans early on, the fans liked Celina when he was here, many fans anti-Mick McCarthy because MM thought he didn’t do the basics so didn’t play him. Fans are a sucker for a flair player.

It fell through over a heart issue (now resolved).

When he did sign on deadline day, surely they’d already recruited plan B? Just like Szmodics and Palmer all over again!

But then, again from MA’s lips, Cook had to really convince Celina he could fit into Cook’s playing style. So a vanity signing for the CEO who they didn’t scout (if they scouted at all - they have no recruitment Dept) to a specific manager system requirement.

But, I have no sympathy for Paul Cook for allowing this to happen, just like I didn’t with Lee Johnson. You just have to say no, and be prepared to stand up to the CEO even if it means leaving your job. LJ had enough credit in the bank to force the issue with SL, and if not backed could go and get a job elsewhere. I don’t think any recruiting clubs would look badly on a manager saying he left because the CEO tried to force players on him. Most would think it showed prudence.

I don’t think Cook will have any credit in the bank with Ipswich’s new owners, especially as the CEO and Chairman are mates and the Chairman and CEO worked to get the new Owners to invest. But Cook still has a lot of credit in football, and I’m sure prospective employers would look on him favourably if he called out Ashton.

However, in both Johnson and Cook’s position, who turns down a player? That’s their downfall.

Nigel Pearson joined because Mark Ashton had switched off/was asleep at the wheel and allowed the process to happen knowing he was on his toes to Ipswich, and did not care on what terms the new manager joined.

Prior to this, when Holden was appointed, Ashton desperately needed to buy some time and it was important his position was not diluted in order to exact his exit strategy. Hence, any experienced manager that was interviewed could see the problems in our club and surely sought to amend/rectify as part of their vision moving forward which was not acceptable. Hence we ended up with Dean Holden.

The cards fell perfectly for Mark Ashton, during possibly the most conceited and self-serving 12 months any individual has had at our club. Injury crisis’ not being dealt with, transfer insanity, contracts being allowed to run down and literally millions of pounds walking out of our door unchecked.

Ultimately it set us back 3 years, but we can thank our lucky stars it did not cost us our Championship status as that could have led to 82 repeating itself, and that we ended up with Nigel Pearson at the end of it.

If you think this is over-dramatic it is not. We have been very fortunate.

I like some of your squad but don’t pretend you wouldn’t have taken some of our signings at the very least because you would.

Edwards alone would get in every single team in this division and most of the championship as well.
Any championship that wanted him in the summer or over the last few years could have had him. 28 and only played one championship season where he was relegated. Not a chance he'd get in most championship teams.

Any championship that wanted him in the summer or over the last few years could have had him. 28 and only played one championship season where he was relegated. Not a chance he'd get in most championship teams.
He’s 23 and never been relegated from the championship

but regardless of the evidence, he still wouldn’t get in most championship teams. He was anonymous 2 weeks ago.

He’s 23 and never been relegated from the championship

but regardless of the evidence, he still wouldn’t get in most championship teams. He was anonymous 2 weeks ago.
I was thinking of that other Edwards that went to Wigan. They had Carlos Edwards in the last decade as well.

This fella is the 3rd best Edwards they've had in the last 10 years. Would definitely not get into most championship teams off what we saw a few weeks ago.

I hate to be that guy..
That's the problem with a salesman like Ashton is everything looks good until you try to use the snake oil. Then when you do there are other reasons for the problems that cloud the picture - the first thing in most fans playbook is sack the manager.

Oxford tried telling us and we were apprehensive about listening to them when we were selling players for considerably more than we ever had before and signing players left right and center. When you're in the middle of it it all makes sense sell players for large amounts, buy more players that (he says) needs only a little development and have lots of competition for places and ready made replacements. This is all fine from the clubs perspective but misses out the human element of players actually wanting to play and what happens when they don't.

If Ipswich fans don't want to listen to us then fair enough IMO, you can't get someone to listen by shouting louder - they certainly know what our experience was. I wouldn't wish ill on them for being blinded by the bright lights of a dodgy salesman and if there was a way of separating there eventual pain from Ashtons then that would be preferable to me, it might take them 3 seasons to realise but they will eventually.

I think the reason we're all over explaining this stuff to Ipswich fans is because in the grand scheme of things we actually quite liked Ipswich before Ashton got there, they are a good traditional club that I can't remember us having any issues with.

Last edited:
Another club capable of getting it right and winning that league, even more of a reason to be out of it. Will be incredibly competitive again next season.

Sheff Wed
Derby
MK Dons
Wycombe
Ipswich
Oxford
Pompey
Plymouth
Barnsley
Peterborough

Any of them are capable of winning that league.

Another club capable of getting it right and winning that league, even more of a reason to be out of it. Will be incredibly competitive again next season.

Sheff Wed
Derby
MK Dons
Wycombe
Ipswich
Oxford
Pompey
Plymouth
Barnsley
Peterborough

Any of them are capable of winning that league.
Charlton & Bolton anarl

Couple of weeks ago I was trying to remember this thread and decided it must have been from a couple of seasons ago, couldn't possibly be this season they were so shite.

Back