IPL 2020

Franchise football in the U.K.?

where is that occurring?

franchise football in the nfl, I understand but in the U.K.? When is the franchise draft in the U.K. for football?

when is the Super Bowl in the U.K. for the franchises?

just help an old fella understand what on Earth you are talking about, please?

What's a draft got to do with anything? You're trying to make up a completely arbitrary franchise definition so you can exclude EPL football from it.

Whether it's NFL, EPL, IPL or whatever, these are sports franchises. They're privately owned companies with a token geographical attachment. Players are bought and sold as part of the business, along with all the merch and branding. There may be some difference in how the teams are constructed with drafts and how transfers are implemented, but the end result is essentially the same. You have big bucks teams owned by moguls or big business where you may have one or two 'locals' playing and that's about it, the overriding factor is assembling the best team through a market with geographical factors rendered almost irrelevant (besides rules of the competition).

For me Manchester United are just as much a soulless sports franchise as Dallas Cowboys. Feel free to explain how they're different.

Having the matches in UAE hasn't helped, in sharjah I'd be surprised if any games there one team doesn't get 200+ used to enjoy watching sunrisers defend 140-150 but they have no chance doing that on these ptiches

What's a draft got to do with anything? You're trying to make up a completely arbitrary franchise definition so you can exclude EPL football from it.

Whether it's NFL, EPL, IPL or whatever, these are sports franchises. They're privately owned companies with a token geographical attachment. Players are bought and sold as part of the business, along with all the merch and branding. There may be some difference in how the teams are constructed with drafts and how transfers are implemented, but the end result is essentially the same. You have big bucks teams owned by moguls or big business where you may have one or two 'locals' playing and that's about it, the overriding factor is assembling the best team through a market with geographical factors rendered almost irrelevant (besides rules of the competition).

For me Manchester United are just as much a soulless sports franchise as Dallas Cowboys. Feel free to explain how they're different.

Very well put and well argued that post.

There are no franchises in U.K. football. FACT

in every franchise sport in the world there is a draft. FACT

English Premier League. There is no draft. FACT

thats why a draft is important.

simple points to refute your incorrect points

Last edited:
There are no franchises in U.K. football. FACT

in every franchise sport in the world there is a draft. FACT

English Premier League. There is no draft. FACT

thats why a draft is important.

simple points to refute your incorrect points

He has never said at any point there is a draft, what he has said is the premier league is very similar to franchise, in the fact that they is no loyalty and driven by money in exactly the same way a franchise is.

And he is spot on with that imo.

If you want to spilt hairs technically your right the premier league is not a franchise but apart from the draft element more or less everything else is the same.

Last edited:
He has never said at any point there is a draft, what he has said is the premier league is very similar to franchise, in the fact that they is no loyalty and driven by money in exactly the same way a franchise is.

And he is spot on with that imo,
His whole point was about franchises. Yes?

now in every single franchise sport in the world there is a draft. Yes

thats my very simple point. There is no franchise football in the uk
I find it funny that people moan about the franchise element of IPL or The Hundred, when by the most popular sport here is franchise football.

This was one of the main reasons I switched from following Middlesbrough FC to Durham back in the 90s. Obviously Durham had their fair share of mercenaries too in the early days. It's a shame they seem to be losing their identity of late - having a core of locals should be what it's about.

I've never really understood why people want to support franchises, but regardless there's virtually no difference between the EPL, the IPL, The Hundred and pretty much all American sport. I'd much rather watch international sport any day of the week.
Highlighted

franchise football.

now if you can show me where and by whom FRANCHISE FOOTBALL is played in the U.K., I will concede.

i

Last edited:
Changing the subject slightly your could argue the premier league system is worse than a franchise draft system, a lot worse, as the big clubs just hoover up the best players, and if small clubs unearth a talent guess what the big clubs by them too.

The franchise draft system actually gives other clubs a better chance to compete.

@Voice of fair play

come on refute the above

first line of the original post

find it funny that people moan about the franchise element of IPL or The Hundred, when by the most popular sport here is franchise football.

tell me where there is FRANCHISE FOOTBALL played in the U.K.?

tell me where there are franchise sports in the world that don’t have a draft system?

sorry but you are on the wrong horse
Changing the subject slightly your could argue the premier league system is worse than a franchise draft system, a lot worse, as the big clubs just hoover up the best players, and if small clubs unearth a talent guess what the big clubs by them too.

The franchise draft system actually gives other clubs a better chance to compete.
You cannot just saying, sorry Cartwright you made a valid point, can you?

the evidence is there

@Voice of fair play

come on refute the above

first line of the original post

find it funny that people moan about the franchise element of IPL or The Hundred, when by the most popular sport here is franchise football.

tell me where there is FRANCHISE FOOTBALL played in the U.K.?

tell me where there are franchise sports in the world that don’t have a draft system?

sorry but you are on the wrong horse

You cannot just saying, sorry Cartwright you made a valid point, can you?

the evidence is there

Read post 126 mate the last line.

Read post 126 mate the last line.
Until you confirm that there is no such thing as FRANCHISE FOOTBALL in the U.K., I’m not doing a thing

you insult me pal, when I was absolutely spot on, you can jog on

nothing whatsoever to do with split hairs

simply no such thing as franchise football. No split hairs, grey areas nowt at all

Last edited:
Until you confirm that there is no such thing as FRANCHISE FOOTBALL in the U.K., I’m not doing a thing

you insult me pal, when I was absolutely spot on, you can jog on

I think your spoiling for a argument mate, when you not getting one from me, I said on post 126 than technically you right that they is no franchise football in the Uk.

I think your spoiling for a argument mate, when you not getting one from me, I said on post 126 than technically you right that they is no franchise football in the Uk.
Technically I’m right.

there is no such thing as franchise football in the uk

no technicality, no split hairs, no grey areas, nothing but an 100% actual reality fact.

sorry is such an easy word to say.

now going on from that, when there are FRANCHISE sports across the world, there is a draft system

another fact for you
You do this to me a lot. I’ve noticed it plenty. I was correct on this but you refuse to accept

you say technically.

thats another jibe hidden in semantics

there is no franchise football in the U.K. no technically, no split hairs. Pure 100% fact

Last edited:
Technically I’m right.

there is no such thing as franchise football in the uk

no technicality, no split hairs, no grey areas, nothing but an 100% actual reality fact.

sorry is such an easy word to say.

now going on from that, when there are FRANCHISE sports across the world, there is a draft system

another fact for you

You are dead right they is no franchise football in the Uk, dead right, 100% right, and can’t really make it any clearer.

All I am saying is the premier league is very similar to franchise sport in all aspects other than the draft system.

Is that fair enough?

Oh god they're still going. They are creating a definition only they recognise. So franchise means whatever they says it means to fulfil their circular, narcissistic argument.

Presumably they don't count fast food chains like McDonald's as franchises either because they don't have a draft.

Oh and MK Dons. I don't know how they're classed but that might cause exploding heads.

Last edited:
An actual dictionary said:

Doesn't seem to mention drafts...

7 Sports.
  1. the right to own or operate a professional sports team as a member of a league.
  2. a professional sports team.
  3. a player of great talent or popular appeal, considered vitally important to a team's success or future.

IPL is about the players not the teams. I couldn't give a shit about any of the teams, just want to see English players do well.

Poor day for Bairstow. 5 at 50.00

IPL is about the players not the teams. I couldn't give a shit about any of the teams, just want to see English players do well.

Poor day for Bairstow. 5 at 50.00

For the thousands of Indians who normally pack the grounds it is very much about supporting their team.

Though totally get your point, for us it’s not and I am with you about wanted English players do well.

Back